Originally Posted by xomm View Post

Also, some people get nasty furious when you tell them that Maemo is actually pronounced my-mo, not may-mo, and that Nokia is not no-kia, but knock-ia.

(Let the constructive criticism begin!)
This is absolutely unAmerican. What next? Will you spell "organize" "organise"?

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I hate all these blogs/websites like engadget etc. It is because they are american. I am not talking as a fan boy. It is just unfair. Nokia is loved in almost all the world. Europe, China, Singapore, Russia (maybe Japan). But one thing I certainly know is that it is hated in the USA. Why?
I'm sorry to report that Singapore is rock solid Apple iPhone country. If you ride the public transport here you'll be surrounded by them. The lines at the shops whenever a new iPhone is released are gigantic. I went to a Nokia store a couple of days after the N900 was released here and the salesman told me that 'I've sold an N900 today!' and seemed genuinely happy about it! I'm not aware of anyone who has been an iPhone user who has switched to Nokia. I know of truckloads who have gone the other way.
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
This is absolutely unAmerican. What next? Will you spell "organize" "organise"?
Actually, I do. I try to make conscious efforts to spell things in the international way.

I spelled "Cesium" "Caesium" on a chemistry test and got marked off. :\

(If I spelled anything wrong here, feel free to comment endlessly on my fail.)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
(If I spelled anything wrong here, feel free to comment endlessly on my fail.)
There might be a misspelling in your signature, but the radioactive glow keeps me from focusing.

Also, some people get nasty furious when you tell them that Maemo is actually pronounced my-mo, not may-mo, and that Nokia is not no-kia, but knock-ia...

I spelled "Cesium" "Caesium" on a chemistry test and got marked off.
So, would that be pronounced "KY-see-um"?

I've been pronouncing Maemo as MEE-mo. All of the Finns from Nokia on YouTube say MAY-mo. But then, at work we have a server named Caelus, and everyone there tries to correct me when I say KY-lus and not KAY-lus.
And I've always said NOKE-yuh, whereas everyone around me says no-KEE-ah, because they assume it's a Japanese company.

Originally Posted by olrac View Post
So, would that be pronounced "KY-see-um"?

I've been pronouncing Maemo as MEE-mo. All of the Finns from Nokia on YouTube say MAY-mo. But then, at work we have a server named Caelus, and everyone there tries to correct me when I say KY-lus and not KAY-lus.
And I've always said NOKE-yuh, whereas everyone around me says no-KEE-ah, because they assume it's a Japanese company.
Well...

http://www.archive.org/details/QuimG...xtag2008Update

Quim Gil's way of saying it.

Although I don't dispute "Cesium and Caesium" are pronounced the same though.

I think the official international pronunciation of oe or ae is e, as in Encyclop(a)edia, or F(o)etus.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

What is international? The British pronunciation?

What is international? The British pronunciation?
Generally, yes. It usually depends on the level of influence of either America or Britain.

Britain has "influenced" (wink) most of the world much deeper than America ever has.

I'd like it to stay that way.

I felt like I was drinking oil during H. W. Bush's presidency...

BRING BACK THE EV1!!1!1!!*leetleetleet*...

I just have an utter loathing for big oil and his presidency when I hear people saying the Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, or Tesla Roadster is the first mass-market electric car (and usually they only know about the first one)...

Clean Air Act EVs aside, ever heard of the late-1800s and early 1900s?

Last edited by xomm; 2010-05-30 at 01:36.

Britain has "influenced" (wink) most of the world much deeper than America ever has.

I'd like it to stay that way.
No, I wouldn't. I'd rather have neo-colonialism than the nonsense the British did. Don't even try to justify it. The British set a lot of countries back with their agenda.

No, I wouldn't. I'd rather have neo-colonialism than the nonsense the British did. Don't even try to justify it. The British set a lot of countries back with their agenda.
Well... if only Americans could stop saying oil every other sentence, I'd be fine with "neo-colonialism."