Active Topics

Poll: Would you buy N950 if it is available for purchase?
Poll Options
Would you buy N950 if it is available for purchase?

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by clasificado View Post
One core for background tasks, another core for frontend tasks.

This is why a modern os survives at all
I remember a time when proper operating systems could execute both frontend and background tasks at the same time with just one core. And it was not so long ago...

The Following User Says Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong

That's why I always ponder how iPad 2 could survive being (mostly) single-tasking with 1 GHz dual-core CPU.

Depends which O/S you're talking about.

A well written and optimised O/S that does "Real Multitasking" shouldn't need multicore.

But, yeah, I'd get an N950 IF they had been made available generally.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica

So, SO wrong...

Yeah, that's why the Amiga had some seriously awesome multitasking. It had a few Ghz and had 4 core processors.... oh wait, it didn't.

The reason it had such awesome multitasking was due to it's custom chipset. Why make the CPU get all used up for music, when you can offload it to a sound chip? Same with graphics.

The only reason that we need multiple core processors in 'modern' Operating systems at all is because they are poorly optimized crap. With the exception of the raw horse power that a newer computer has, the Amiga is far snappier and multitasks generally better.

Take Android for instance, while it is using the Linux kernel, which can multitask better than most newer OSs, the Android Userland (Dalvik) bogs it down and the interface for multitasking sucks. No amount of cores will really fix that.

slaapliedje

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
NOKIA N950 where are you?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/07...rizon-for-199/

Well, you can quibble about it using android, or the RAM is a bit low or that it is 3G or whatever. It could not be a total replacement for my N900 but I will at least give them credit for making something availble that has some attractive features.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
If NOKIA N9 sells very well, I would not be surprised if N950 like beast will appear

The OS uses a minimal amount of cpu ny itself that it doesn't really matter if it's dual core or not. However, when you arrive at a javascript heavy website and switch away to do something else, you can do that other thing at full speed while the javascript driven website continues loading at full speed in the background, for example.

Depending on the web browser, you can have one tab loading on the cpu while rendering the other and viewing it on the other cpu. It doubles your available cpu power...

If I were in the market for replacing my N900, the N950 would be a sexy option for me to replace it with. The N9 is a non-starter being that it doesn't have a hardware keyboard.

I do hope that there is an N950-like update after the N9, tho I'm not counting on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
If I were in the market for replacing my N900, the N950 would be a sexy option for me to replace it with. The N9 is a non-starter being that it doesn't have a hardware keyboard.

I do hope that there is an N950-like update after the N9, tho I'm not counting on it.

I totaly agree with you. We are like in a dead end N9 is the last MEEGO and no keyboard. N950 is everything we want (almost) but just to make us extremely jalous they made

-it' already built
-production ready
-tested by many website and on youtube even on maemo.org news
-It has a keyboard
-12 mp
- it available for developper only.

It' like they are doing everything to make us go somewhere else.

Last edited by JD2010; 2011-07-07 at 18:12.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD2010 For This Useful Post:

Tags
hwkbftw, nokia n950, take my moneys!