Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
So in order to get the panoramic background to work automatically .desktop files need to be created for each set of the format:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Background Image
Name=<name of image set>
Hidden=true

X-File1=<path to image 1>
X-File2=<path to image 2>
X-File3=<path to image 3>
X-File4=<path to image 4>

X-Order=01
This is simple enough, unfortunately if they're not made invisible they will quickly clutter up the Images folder. They also present a fairly confusing installation procedure for the average person looking for desktop backgrounds.

So, is there anybody who wants to try to put together a source package template? We could combined it with a webform that would accept 4 images, some basic description and copyright information and spit out a source file that a moderator could review and then throw at the autobuilder. Then we just need to link to the .install files and people can easily install panoramic backgrounds that can be activated with one touch (as opposed to setting the background of each panel individually. . . .) right from the browser on their devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by msoini View Post
For wallpaper creators, if you want to make the use of a four-pack wallpapers easier, then you can create a simple text file that then causes the wallpapers to appear as "Image set" in the Change Background dialog.
Oh you hooker! You beat me to the punch while I was asking around about source package templates and scripts.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
That's really great info. To my to-do list I will add coding up something that packages up the wallpaper packs into archive files with the text file. Maybe we can figure out some kind of one-click install? would be nice being able to browse the site from the n900 and quickly change the background with one or two clicks. Anyone got any ideas?
What you mean with "one click install" is actually the ".install" file you can create for a debian package located in a repository.

The maemo.org downloads has been providing that already for the earlier devices like N810. For an example, see the green "Install" button in the downloads page for Personal Menu.

For wallpapers, it might be nice for somebody to create an utility that takes the four images and asks for the title of the theme and then creates the .desktop file and finally packs the images + .desktop file to a debian archive.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I had an idea in the middle of the night.

Any chance you could have a small 'desktop' section of wallpapers? I don't mean general wallpapers or people's photos... I mean I'd really rather like to be running an n900 wallpaper on my desktop or laptop - there are some wizzy photos out there, and the maemo logo and stuff. Any takers?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Upped my Metroid NES looping wallpaper. More retrogaming related wallpapers on the way. Also did Super Mario Bros World 1-2.

Those of you that don't want to wait for them to be approved:
http://zerojay.com/misc/metroidbackground.zip
http://zerojay.com/misc/smbbackground.zip

Includes .desktop files to allow you to change all four backgrounds at once.

Can we get a .deb creation tool up in here?

Any requests?

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-07 at 13:40.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Can someone familiar with packaging for Maemo help me out with making a template package that would be easily adjusted for easy installation of wallpapers for the user?

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Can someone familiar with packaging for Maemo help me out with making a template package that would be easily adjusted for easy installation of wallpapers for the user?
I'm not quite sure what you asking, I havn't use fremantle yet but in the past wallpapers didn't have to be installed just placed on device somewhere. If you just want a package that installed the wallapers to a certain folder I can show you how to do that.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I'm not quite sure what you asking, I havn't use fremantle yet but in the past wallpapers didn't have to be installed just placed on device somewhere. If you just want a package that installed the wallapers to a certain folder I can show you how to do that.
Yeah, that would help a ton. Essentially, we'd need to have the images installed to /home/user/MyDocs/.images as well as the .desktop file (for the panoramic wallpapers). If you can help, that would be great.

I wonder if these wallpapers could even be included in extras anyway?

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I wonder if these wallpapers could even be included in extras anyway?
If so, would they be listed individually, or perhaps in their appropriate category as listed on the n900wallpapers website? I tend to view my Browse installable applications using the All selection. Obviously this would be impractical if each wallpaper was submitted as an explicitly unique package.

The only ones currently somewhat appropriate for the application catalog group label would be either Desktop or Themes. Perhaps a new one could be approved called Wallpapers? Hopefully this wouldn't be too difficult, or would there be a better option?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveb70 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
I tend to view my Browse installable applications using the All selection.
I think most people did that on Maemo 4 because the categories were crazy (noone stuck to the proper categories). However, that's supposed to be sorted for the Maemo 5 Extras QA process, so browsing by category should be bearable.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, masturbatory fantasy pics, n900, themes, wallpapers