Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here's a cool trick. Currently, the maemo ssh server (sshd) doesn't handle X-Forwarding. If you ssh to your tablet and try to run a GUI app, it will simply appear on your tablet's screen. If you go into your chroot and issue
Code:
/etc/init.d/ssh stop
/etc/init.d/ssh start
the next time you ssh to your tablet you will go directly into your Debian chroot and you will be able to use X-Forwarding of all your GUI apps.

Does anyone know how to fix the "The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host has changed" error one gets when doing this? Is there a file I can copy from my OS2008 rootfs to the chroot to sync the keys?

EDIT: You can fix the problem of changed keys by copying the ssh keys from your main filesystem to your chroot (before you do the stop and start above). As root, with the chroot mounted (but not from within the chroot), do this:
Code:
cp /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* /debian/etc/ssh/

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-27 at 07:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Somebody added "don't put [the Debian chroot script] in /usr/bin, that causes problems"

What problems? Why not?

I guess I should change the wiki to suggest putting the script in /sbin since it needs to be run by root anyway.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-16 at 18:23.

Hmm, I wonder if this hack could fix the dependency problems of OpenOffice until the maintainers fix it:

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
...just modify /var/lib/dpkg/status (or something like that) with a text editor, and change the dependency...
I'll look into it.

Hey qole, I thought I was just reading a thread you had just started about easy chroot stuff. Where did it go?

I didn't start it. And you probably can't find it because it uses "Debain" instead of "Debian". Search on that word.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I didn't start it. And you probably can't find it because it uses "Debain" instead of "Debian". Search on that word.
Thanks for the reply. I had that thread opened and something crashed my tablet (never happened before) while I stepped away for a moment. After it rebooted I went to "New Posts" and your 11:07am post to that thread doesn't appear in the right "New Posts" time slot. Strange.

Interestingly, I did an apt-get upgrade on my big old Debian partition, and irb1.8 (Interactive Ruby) has broken dependencies too. The good news is that it seems isolated to openoffice-common and irb1.8.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-16 at 19:43.

I have a few questions to try to clear up some confusion I have.
I'm currently using the Debian beta3 intended for a dual boot system, but I'm not dual booting.

1. Is it better to used one of debootstrap variants by qole?
2. If yes to #1 than which one, the larger or the smaller?
3. With using the above does it solve the MPD user problem when using apt?
4. Do I still need a window mananger like KDE as stated in the Wiki?

I may have a few other questions later, but these should get me started.

Last edited by XL1200c; 2008-06-17 at 17:15.

Originally Posted by XL1200c View Post
1. Is it better to used one of debootstrap variants by qole?
2. If yes to #1 than which one, the larger or the smaller?
3. With using the above does it solve the MPD user problem when using apt?
My debootstrap variants are great if you don't mind installing everything from scratch. My experience is that both work, and both get equally enormous after installing a few big apps. The larger debootstrap has some useful things like wget that you'll have to install manually with the smaller one.

Using my files avoids the mpd user problems, but I was getting locale problems. I haven't tried working from the debootstrap again since I got the very good suggestion to try "dpkg-reconfigure locales". I actually think the problem is that neither of the debootstrap variants have locales installed, so you probably want to "apt-get install locales" before installing anything else.

----------------
EDIT: So I'm working on the debootstrap again. I needed to do both things to get locales set correctly. I would recommend doing the following three things as soon as you untar your new chroot and then chroot in:

apt-get update
apt-get install locales
dpkg-reconfigure locales
----------------

The only reason I would stay with the bootable Debian if I wasn't planning to boot to it is if I had already installed OpenOffice.org. I've gotta figure out how to fix those packages.

4. Do I still need a window mananger like KDE as stated in the Wiki?
Well, technically, no, which is why I've changed the wiki. If you use the qwerty12 hack that lets you move windows around in OS2008, and you install XVKBD or something similar (or you use a hardware keyboard), and you're willing to set something up with wmctrl to full-screen the apps, you can muddle through in OS2008. But the programs really are designed for a non-Hildon window manager, and eventually you're going to hit a window that is too big for the screen and can't be moved. I've managed to get through these by just tabbing through the buttons and pressing enter when I think I'm on the "OK" button. But KDE makes it much easier to use Debian apps.

I may have a few other questions later, but these should get me started.
Ask, and I'll try my best to answer.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-20 at 23:44.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. To install PenguinBait's KDE I would chroot into Debian, download his KDE installer and install with dpkg.

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian