Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The Nokia fix works. I'm currently trying to get an updated version of maemo-pan into the maemo-extras repository.
The Nokia fix, however, expects a hardcoded name for the connection. "Bluetooth-PAN" in the connection dialog will thus be replaced by "Dummy network". There's nothing I can do about this.

Also, you might run into conflicts if you install more than one package setting up a dummy connection.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused about this process. I followed the instructions on the website for 1.0 (using 1.0.1) I setup the BT connection between my Q9c and the N810 using the phone setup in CP. I can now see the DUMMY network but ONLY when I click connections under connectivity, but I don't understand how to connect to the dummy network.

MP

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Toronto, Canada
Bump.

I've read this thread, the wiki, and any other related threads that I could find through forum search or google and I'm still having no luck.

I'm using a Dash on wm6.1 and an N810 running the most up to date version of Diablo. I've downloaded the maemo-pan 1.0.1 package and am able to connect to the "Dummy network" but then get the message "could not connect to phone"

I've paired the dash and have it as a trusted device but no dice.

Please help and thanks again for all of your collective work on this issue!

Originally Posted by mediapirate View Post
I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused about this process. I followed the instructions on the website for 1.0 (using 1.0.1) I setup the BT connection between my Q9c and the N810 using the phone setup in CP. I can now see the DUMMY network but ONLY when I click connections under connectivity, but I don't understand how to connect to the dummy network.

MP
Did you run the "Internet Sharing" app on the q9c first?

@Rohan:

Did you set the phone as your default device in the control panel? I'm pretty sure that's what maemo-pan tries to connect to. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, like jhoff80 mentioned in response to someone else, make sure you run the Internet Connection Sharing app on the phone. I think it's buried in the windows directory w/ wm 6.1, you'll have to look up the app name somewhere else. (Sorry, I use wm5)

@Andreww

By the default device do you mean choosing it as my phone under the bluetooth/phone icon in the control panel?

I've tried it with and without the Dash selected as the phone and neither one works. I'm running the Internet Sharing application on the Dash with "bluetooth PAN" selected and then pairing the phone and IT.

I've got a Tytn as well so I'll fire that up and see if there's any difference.

Thanks for your help!

Following up, maemo-pan works perfectly with my Tytn. Very odd.

At least I've got a solution for the moment!

I'll keep plugging away with the dash and will post if I figure anything out.

Thanks.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I added my N810 as a bluetooth companion device to my laptop, but even though the N810 lists Bluetooth-PAN as a connection option, the laptop bluetooth manager (Windows XP) swears the tablet doesn't have pan capabilities.

????

I was gonna say gourmand added some stuff about connecting with a PC, but I think it's only for using your PCs net connection:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...tle=Diablo_PAN

So... does the n810 really have a bluez module for sharing over PAN, or is it possibly just a bug in bluez (or somewhere else) that claims to support PAN?

I think Nokia's (threw that in just for you, texrat ) network manager might be too simple to share the other way around over BT or WiFi, but I'm sure you could manually set up an adhoc wifi network to share with your PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to andreww For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I have been actually looking for 2 things:

1) sharing my laptop's internet connection via bluetooth;

2) sharing any tablet's internet connection (mainly with other nearby tablets) using BT

So that wiki article is helpful, thanks.