Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by daverup View Post
Average time in "Repair" about 1 month.
Each time in "Repair" screen replaced.
Last one left "Repair" 2/26/07, died this week, WSOD just like the others.
Looks like all the persons who have repeatable WSOD problems had the screen replaced but reused all the other parts of the old device. It means they may have some other part defective that causes screen breakage eventually. So it is just a waste to put a perfectly good screen into a defective device and wait till it breaks again. Probably a device that had experienced WSOD at least once should be replaced with a new one instead of trying to repair it.

One more idea is that the users who had too many WSODs could all use some buggy software that could theoretically cause continuous reboot cycles sometimes (think about nightly reboots reported by some people) which could stress screen and LCD controller too much and cause it to 'wear out' its resource prematurely.

Anyway, only time will show how many Nokia 770 devices survive in couple of years. I hope that mine will live a long and happy life, I'm treating it with care

Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Looks like all the persons who have repeatable WSOD problems had the screen replaced but reused all the other parts of the old device. It means they may have some other part defective that causes screen breakage eventually. So it is just a waste to put a perfectly good screen into a defective device and wait till it breaks again. Probably a device that had experienced WSOD at least once should be replaced with a new one instead of trying to repair it.
Is there any DIY solution ? Something a little flux would fix ? I'm asking because I think I'm missing something - if the problem is well known by Nokia why would they ruin LCDs (which must cost a pretty penny) on purpose ? Otherwise reports about a design flaw corrected in newer units have been greatly exagerated

One more idea is that the users who had too many WSODs could all use some buggy software that could theoretically cause continuous reboot cycles sometimes (think about nightly reboots reported by some people) which could stress screen and LCD controller too much and cause it to 'wear out' its resource prematurely.
Possible, but this means that people who never install stuff on the side haven't had the problem and I'm pretty sure I read some threads complaining about it WSOD-ing with out any reason (then again, it may be a symptom of the "I didn't even touch it" syndrome). More data needed ...

Anyway, only time will show how many Nokia 770 devices survive in couple of years. I hope that mine will live a long and happy life, I'm treating it with care
Me too, but I'm not sure that guaranties anything

Last edited by cucurigu; 2007-04-06 at 15:01.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Serge brings up the most likely explanation. From my unique perspective, the WSoD occurs very, very rarely (not trying to downplay your personal experiences) and for any person to encounter a series of three-- well, I can't calculate the probability offhand at the moment but I can assure you it's extremely low.

However... if Repair in their infinite wisdom kept sticking new screens on a defective device, now THAT makes (some sort of) sense. But it calls into question (again) the repair/replacement process. Why wasn't the device tested before it left repair? Why wasn't it investigated further the second time it came back? That is the point at which an experienced, analytical technician starts asking the obvious questions and performing the obvious tests. For whatever reason, this wasn't done.

There is no excuse for this. Daverup, I'm truly sorry you had to go through this. Experiences like that sure aren't helping the adoption of the tablets...

OH, and FYI: design flaws ARE taken seriously, and corrected as soon as possible. The breakdown is occurring in repair and replacement.

I can't even contemplate sending in the 770 to the Nokia "Repair" "Roach Motel" again.
I didn't think I was going to last time around, and regret every second I wasted on it.
Why can't Nokia set up some kind of "Customer Care" that is real. The present system, is a fraud. The "Helpful" people there can only sound helpful, they don't have any helpful information, since the repair is outsourced to some companies not accessible for real time repair status. Customer care employees only waste my time and then pass you off to the next level once the 30 day period is done. The next level is also useless, only issuing refunds (prorated with receipt), or continued waits.
None of this compensates me adequately for the time I've wasted with the 770 over the past year. I've paid full price and been treated like an idiot. I may be an idiot for ever wasting money on the 770.
I like the 770, I would still be using it if it weren't defective by design. I'm sure it passed whatever QC tests were required after repair, It works fine for awhile when I get it (one or two months).
I didn't reboot constantly, run custom kernels, or anything I compiled.
The POS 770 just isn't reliable and Nokia's "Roach Motel" is so bad that repair isn't worth the trouble.
Get someone to ADMIT what the problem is, and agree to fix it with real repair status info, and I MIGHT be willing to give it another chance.
As things stand now, NO WAY!

Daverup, check your private messages when you get a chance.

Daverup isn't the only one who suffered from these kind of problems. If there is anything that you *can* share, please spill the beans texrat. Right now I am hunting for a BP-5L battery (everyone seems to have BL-5C's) where I live because my original battery is still stuck in the roach motel. If I do not get a battery by this Sunday and find out that the repair was defective I'd have to airmail the 770 back to Nokia. As thngs stand my tablet has spent more time in repairs than in my hands.
IMHO the problem lies with the firewall Nokia has built surrounding the 770repair centers. Phone repair centers can be contacted but not these. WHY?

convulted, as I've said, I'm not in the repair loop, sorry. That is its own entity, and your term "firewall" appears to be unfortunately accurate.

I can't do much about the repair/replacement process. I wish I could. It's too large. I have been, however, able to provide help in certain individual situations as well as providing spare 770 covers as you know (in fact I will be able to offer more now).

And I know it's hindsight for you, but I want to reiterate for the general population: strip down your devices when you send them for repair. No batteries, no covers, no stylus, nothing but the essential unit.

As for the BP-5Ls, some posters here have reported success buying them (or generics) off of ebay vendors. I'd recommend following their example. I am unfortunately unable to provide batteries, sorry.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Serge brings up the most likely explanation. From my unique perspective, the WSoD occurs very, very rarely (not trying to downplay your personal experiences) and for any person to encounter a series of three-- well, I can't calculate the probability offhand at the moment but I can assure you it's extremely low.
I had 2 within 2 weeks on 2 completely brand new units, I doubt its that rare.

However... if Repair in their infinite wisdom kept sticking new screens on a defective device, now THAT makes (some sort of) sense. But it calls into question (again) the repair/replacement process.
The problem has to do with a bad LCD driver chip and not the screen. Putting a new screen in would immediately show the same symptom unless repair didn't even bother to turn the device on which would be very troublesome. Then again, Nokia seems to heading in the wrong direction we it comes to properly servicing their customers.

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I had 2 within 2 weeks on 2 completely brand new units, I doubt its that rare.
While I can understand why you'd feel that way, you and I see this from very different perspectives. You've dealt with two tablets. I've dealt with thousands.

Again, that is not to downplay your very real issues, but when I see the small number reported in this forum juxtaposed against the number I've touched and especially the larger number sold overall-- well, one need not be a statistician to recognize that the problem is indeed very rare when compared against the whole.

What you guys are seeing is clustering, a common and unfortunately sometimes hard to detect phenomenon. If you saw my little spiel on QA sampling then you saw how this can occur. Clusters can be detected IF the defects occur in large enough numbers to be caught by typical sampling plans; they are difficult if not impossible to detect when they occur in small numbers... ergo the situation we're discussing.

As for the latter part of your post, we are in complete alignment and agreement.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And I know it's hindsight for you, but I want to reiterate for the general population: strip down your devices when you send them for repair. No batteries, no covers, no stylus, nothing but the essential unit.
Hmmm, but what is the essential unit ? I'll send only the battery door, if it's enough

Sorry, couldn't help myself