Active Topics

Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Look at Ubuntu and the progress made in these five years for a real example of progress that counts.

Maemo is a hobby project within Nokia.
It's not entirely fair comparison. Ubuntu was never started from scratch, it's a fork of Debian which has been under development for years. Most of basic functionality already existed in Debian. To create a mobile device out of Linux however is not that simple, because there is no standard device type for it and many functions of modern smartphone didn't exist at the time Maemo was created. If there was a manufacturer selling blank smartphone devices for enthusiasts to play with, complete with available device drivers for Linux and tools to flash custom firmwares to them, development of Meego (and Linux for such devices in general) would be much easier. Now we are dependent on manufacturers like Nokia to actually create such device and N900 is so far best device for that part.

However, it is true that Maemo was a hobby (or "R&D learning project") for Nokia. I guess the Maemo 5 was first time they actually realised the potential of the OS, but then they wasted time ditching it for Meego and then dropped the ball by jumping to Microsoft bandwagon...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
abill_uk, you're new, you have no idea what the people in Nokia working on Maemo have done, both in and out of work. Over the past 6 years it has been an honour and a priviledge to work with those guys and they've contributed more to the FOSS community than you ever will. Any further work on MeeGo by Nokia, which will happen, they've already said it will happen, they've also already said they'd release a device this year based on those efforts, is a bonus. Hopefully, at least for the time being this device range will go back to being strictly for enthusiasts and developers, so we no longer have to deal with jack asses like you.
Hey mr wise guy who loves to lay down the law... you bite me and for sure i will bite you back you *** because you just dont get it do you.

Your a pain in the *** because your nowt but a Nokian loveboy who will have nothing bad said against them, you never change do you.

Maemo was brought out as you well know as a FLAGSHIP device NOTHING said about it being a hobbiest OS in any way or form and they stuffed everyone who bought the N900 but hey dont go at me ok because i tell you a thousand will jump at you for typing such stoopid comments.

Learn your lesson with me ok... bite me and as sure as hell i will bite you back ... get it now?.

Whatever Nokia did for however long on Maemo was simply not good enough... they are burnt now and will pay for their mistakes.

I still own my first N900 and will never sell.... not because Meamo is shite but because i like the concept... Nokia lied ok simple as that.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
How can you call Maemo in any way substantial?
Well, this community wouldn't exist if it weren't for Maemo and the line of NITs. Is that substantial enough for ya?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Well, this community wouldn't exist if it weren't for Maemo and the line of NITs. Is that substantial enough for ya?
As much as i respect this community only because of the guys who have put hours upon hours of work into producing some brilliant apps that Nokia just couldnt get together you have to be honest with yourself and ask yourself why there has not been a community driven 100% OS to replace the last update and the endless list of WONTFIX.

You know the answer as well as i do, it would be impossible to do for the so called OPEN N900 Maemo based device because it is in fact only 50%open and without the rest is impossible to get together a team to finalise the OS without crashes occuring.

Nice try community but hey dont blame this community blame Nokia for not working with this community.

As for tswindell, we have had enough run ins now and he just never learns the pompas idiot so let him carry on his own Nokian i love you ways and let everyone else to there own opinions as they do have.

He has had a go at me since practically day one and all i can say is as i have always said... Nokian loverboy but not appreciated by the majority of N900 owners i can tell you.

Nokia FAILED with Maemo, if it didnt we would now have a brilliant OS with no one but NO ONE moaning and that is something he has to consider like it or not.

You call that substantial i call that substandard and one hell of a let down, LOOK what is happening now with Nokia dont look at me ok.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK

You're whining, not I. I try to be impartial and see things from both angles. I'm not saying Nokia couldn't have done better, but who really cares? The people involved did the best they could under the circumstances and your comments are both hurtful to them and those of us that try very hard to make this community better. What do you do other than complain? We'd respect you more if you actually seemed to do something other than that...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
What do you do other than complain? We'd respect you more if you actually seemed to do something other than that...
err wtf do you call the Elop ***** posts appearing everywhere since the annoucement was made.

This entire board has been whining about something they cannot change. So I assume you have no respect for the majority of TMO then.

abill_uk, irritating as he is, is hardly alone (and not even the most outrageous - with posts calling for prosecuting Elop for treason).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:

You're whining, not I. I try to be impartial and see things from both angles. I'm not saying Nokia couldn't have done better, but who really cares? The people involved did the best they could under the circumstances and your comments are both hurtful to them and those of us that try very hard to make this community better. What do you do other than complain? We'd respect you more if you actually seemed to do something other than that...
I will give you some sound advice here ... pipe down with your comments because i tell you you will lose hands down by just about evryone on this community now... please do yourself a favour and do not bragg or try to tell people anything about Nokia doing right or have done in any way because you will get jumped on i guarentee you that !!!.

I do not whine i simple do NOT like you or your stoopid comments OK !!!.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
And ysss... DONT push it OK and that is BEFORE you start.

Tags
its just a fail, stop dreaming, windelnkiabumby