Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Sure, but you either lose a button or go through the extra effort and resources to add a hardware button. Whereas with CTRL+SHIFT+P you neither need additional hardware, lose functions, nor do you need to load extra software. You have to look it up to use it, but once you know it, you're done.
You are missing the point.

Look at this way, there two options to take screenshots.
a) you press a button, lets say the camera button (with the lens shut)
b)CTRL+SHIFT+P

WHich is the more intuitive option?

EDIT: Having the command line is good, no question about that. Look at the App Manager*, for instance. Using it download apps is a lot more intuitive than the apt-get option. It is easier too look through apps and find which ones to download. SOmetimes, I go to the app manager with no app in mind. I just hope something catches my eye. The command line can't do that.

*Ignore the fact that it is slow

Last edited by nosa101; 2010-06-03 at 00:48.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
MicroB (no other browser compares)
easyDebian

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post

b)CTRL+SHIFT+P

EDIT: Having the command line is good, no question about that. Look at the App Manager*, for instance. Using it download apps is a lot more intuitive than the apt-get option. It is easier too look through apps and find which ones to download. SOmetimes, I go to the app manager with no app in mind. I just hope something catches my eye. The command line can't do that.

100% agreed with nosa101

There is a saying we physicists have:
"The most simple solution is always the best solution"

An excellent example of this would be the concept of a simplified formula
Eg. for day to day use what would you prefer:

p = m*a/(pi*r^2)
and then arbitrarily fill in each variable or constant

Or simply:

p = F/A

Simplicity might be limiting, but complexity is only useful if it is specifically required.

Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
100% agreed with nosa101

There is a saying we physicists have:

p = m*a/(pi*r^2)

Or simply:

p = F/A

Simplicity might be limiting, but complexity is only useful if it is specifically required.
Holy crap, a reasonable, sarcasm and spite free response from PradaBrada. You should do this more often.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
i was having trouble that my symbian devices has docs editor and viewer and my maemo doesn't.

but EasyDebian was installed and killed all my troubles.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
Alarmed, it does all the things i had to do on my own, everyday.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post

b)CTRL+SHIFT+P

It does look like something you used to get on a 5 1/4 " floppy glued to the inside back cover of a 3 ring binder that held 40 pages of double spaced, mimeographed instructions.

But that is part of its charm.
It's just missing that mimeograph smell, that's all.

Simple and powerful are not mutually exclusive and for people who were trained on programs that were distributed the way I mentioned, it is very intuitive. Intuition isn't magic, it is the sum total of all conditioned responses an individual has learned IMHO.

For some reason I'm reminded of how Scottie "intuitively" picked up a mouse and tried to speak to the computer in one of the Star Trek movies.

MC does what it does well. If you want slick just cruise on in from the computer console and file manager of your choice.

BTW, Openssh v5.1p1-6.maemo5 is my nominee for killer app.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Great! Hopefully it will soon appear in Extras!
Someday will appear, but it isn't a priority
For me, Easy Debian brings the full power of Linux to the N900. In particular, it allowed me to combine zim with Latex and run it with versioning control - things that probably will be stripped for the native app, no?
No, but dependencies have to be satisfed for a feature to work, that is, if there is no latex package for maemo then the latex plugin can't work. Same for control version, although there exist a svn package so eventually the plugin could work once svn is supported
You can follow zim development in its own thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46123

Last edited by maacruz; 2010-06-03 at 11:58. Reason: Reference zim thread

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
No, but dependencies have to be satisfed for a feature to work, that is, if there is no latex package for maemo then the latex plugin can't work. Same for control version, although there exist a svn package so eventually the plugin could work once svn is supported
I think his point was that those do exist within Easy Deabian. That is why he was able to implement them on his Maemo device.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
...There is a saying we physicists have:

p = m*a/(pi*r^2)

Or simply:

p = F/A

I've got to admit, I'm very puzzled by this. It's not really a matter of choosing between the complex equation or the simple one, is it? If the single, somewhat complex equation

p = m*a/(pi*r^2)

is too difficult for you, don't you have to do not one, but three simple equations?

F=m*a
A=pi*r^2
p = F/A

Either that, or you depend on someone else to do the preliminary calculations for you. And that means you have to take the accuracy of those preliminary calculations on faith. The complexity is still there, just not on display.

Still, that's certainly a valid choice, and if your killer apps are the ones that hide as much of their complexity from you, there's no arguing with that. For myself, there are many occasions when I can do what I need to do more readily with mc than with a graphical file manager that prettifies the interface, and in doing so hides elements that I need. That's what makes it a killer app for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbH For This Useful Post: