Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again, what apps do people want? Is it really just games you're after (not interested in developing them myself) and they wouldn't r really equire Qt. If you want something specific, just ask.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
yeah, I thought it was the same one. Can a mod merge please?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again, what apps do people want? Is it really just games you're after (not interested in developing them myself) and they wouldn't r really equire Qt. If you want something specific, just ask.
I have many commercial apps I want. But I guess that's not possible.

Here's my short maybe-possible-app wish list for now.

1. Golf GPS app.
- Similar to SkyDroid on Android.

2. Video player app.
- Something better than sib + mplayer combo.
- Mostly want more advanced version of SiB gui.

3. MicroB with tabs like Maxthon browser on Android
- or at least open new links in background option

Here you are TONS of Qt Apps!
http://qt-apps.org/

Originally Posted by gionni88 View Post
speciifics please

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Where the Hell is Qt apps?" (13 posts) has been merged into this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Originally Posted by gionni88 View Post
Has anyone had any success with the apps on this site? I have tried downloading source for a few but cannot get any of them to run in qt creator, much less compile them to run on maemo.

Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
I tought at after when N900 get Qt 4.7 packages we will see tons of new cool Qt apps, but hey, where the hell is those apps?
Well what is cool is subjective, I think it's pretty cool that there are people willing to bring these apps to us at all!

Think of Qt as a toolkit, there are many apps available for the N900 created using it. Before and after 4.7. But Qt is only one method of development, there are plenty of great apps written with other different toolkits and most of them are available for you free in the repositories.

I think what you are getting at is that you felt with 4.7 you'd see much more of the commercial Symbian developed apps being cross ported and coming to the N900. That was never going to be the case. The N900 is not an attractive platform for commercial developers to target. Take a look around some of the threads and N900 websites happilly linking and distributing the commerical application packages we did get, in order to get a few more hits on their site or a few more clicks on their advertisers links. Would you pay a team of developers to create an app that was going to be passed around freely for little or no return to your business? You wouldn't, you'd be crazy to.

With the N900 you have a wide range of great functional apps. Sometimes the criticism is that the 'wow' or 'cool' factor is missing. A lot fo what you see here is written by a single developer in whatever free time he can find. Some of the great looking apps on other platforms are written by commercial teams of 20-30, including professional designers, animators, teams of programmers, testers, and even market researchers and script writers. Just to get a game sprite professionally created and animated or a logo done professionally could cost a month's wage to the developer, the same one that's writing his application to provide to all of us freely, so it's just not possible to expect that.

Until there is a proper method of distribution, reasonable protection, and a potential market there will be little commerical interest in the N900 - and at this late stage you might aswell understand that won't happen now. Because of that you will find there will continue to be a higher proportion of functional apps without maybe the cool factor you're looking for. But you can still help improve your favorite apps to be cooler! Most of these projects are open source, that means there's a role available for you to get involved and help bring the cool!

If you have some ideas of what you like I'd recommend contacting the developer and, being courteous and polite, bring your ideas to the table. Tell them what you would like to see to make it cooler. Do you have any coding skills to add new features? im sure they'd provide some code for you to work with. Can you help them with sprites or design? Can you reach out to a design community on the developer's behalf to see if anyone can help. Even offering time to chase things up can help a lot. The app developer wants his app to be coolest too, so if you think you can help guide that process then get involved!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post

3. MicroB with tabs like Maxthon browser on Android
- or at least open new links in background option
Work in progress:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=28

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags