Closed Thread
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
you're welcome Happy to test all thing on my (tweaked) machine.
I do realize that with all my testing here, there will be a point where I better reinstall. But I always survived or could it get to work again. This speaks in favor of the quality of the major extras-devel packages.

Anyway, my curiosity will always win over the need for a perfectly stable system

And yes, I did install various hildon-* debs before, from Matan, MohammedAG etc... I didn't keep a manual install log.

This 1:2.2.143 version, is it the stock standard one available in PR1.3 ? Can it be downloaded as a DEB somewhere ?

Or should I try to modify the depend section in the metapackage, so it accepts the my lower version as well ? + reinstall of the metapackage of course ?

Any views ?

My phone runs very stable as such, fast, drawing power as expected, in general very happy, even in this 90% PR1.2, 5% PR1.3 CSSU and 5% custom situation

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
maybe I was a bit too quick in trusting the Community SSU, but I made the jump, added the repository and installed the enabler package.

That enabler pulled in all (??) updated packages from the community SSU.

But now my apt-get queue is stuck and I can't fix it with an 'apt-get -f install'. It always comes back with the same dependency error :

Where can I find this 1:2.2.143 version ? I prefer not to undo the whole Community SSU install, as I do like the other (properly installed) programs. Anyone care to send me the deb file (and pray it doesn't have again unmet dependencies ...)

Now of course all other application upgrades/installs are blocked.
ps, in all honesty, I need to say I'm still on PR1.2, using power40. I don't want to reinstall and reconfigure all stuff, so I'll stick as long as possible with PR.12. I'm very happy, I just would like to follow along with some new stuff without the reinstall/reconfigure overhead.
I don't have the same setup as you (PR1.3 with stock kernel), but I had exactly the same issue as what you had. The solution was what MohammadAG said to me earlier on in IRC and that was to remove modified-hildon-desktop.

I presume the only reason why is because when one installs that package, it will overwrite any of the previous schemas as set in hildon-desktop hence causing the conflict. The best way to check and to try locate the source of the problem is whilst having the community SSU repository enabled, install hildon-desktop or whichever conflicting package that is you are having with community release using apt-get and see the errors. An example of how to do this is: apt-get install hildon-desktop

The errors usually speaks about it quite clearly as when one forcefully installs a conflicting package.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
quick update : apt-get remove modified-hildon-desktop also gave back the same dependency error, so it refused to remove it.

But after removing the CSSU meta package and removing the modified-hildon-desktop + a reinstall of the meta package, all new CSSU stuff got installed, with a cleaned apt-get queue.

thanks for the help. Maybe a change to the meta package can be made to include a 'conflicts' entry for modified-hildon-desktop. That would make it obvious what needs to happen, for people like me

Thanks again. Looking forward to test more CSSU stuff !

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
thanks for the help. Maybe a change to the meta package can be made to include a 'conflicts' entry for modified-hildon-desktop. That would make it obvious what needs to happen, for people like me
Maybe. I think Mohammad's got some thoughts on that.

(Personally, I think it shows that if you install new versions of core OS packages, you should only do so if you know the intricacies of the system well enough to fix it. I know this is elitist, but how many TMOers will install a random deb and then blame some other piece of software down the line - which is doing everything properly - when a conflict occurs? Not that I'm saying that's what's happening in this case, but these kind of issues slow down CSSU stuff because people (patches welcome) have to put in extra safe-guards and checks for broken situations)

Thanks again. Looking forward to test more CSSU stuff !
It would be very useful if people who'd modified their system in various ways wrote extra test scripts so that a volunteer could check each CSSU release works by following the instructions. No technical skills required (nor to execute them as a tester):

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/QA#Test%20scripts

I've written one for the "simple" case. You've got PR1.3 and you install the CSSU. However, perhaps there should be one for "flash PR1.3, install modified-hildon-desktop [link], install CSSU".

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
I'm interested to be a tester for CSSU, but before that I'd like to know more about CSSU hildon-desktop.

I'm using Matan's modified-hildon-desktop because I can lock/unlock desktop editing by gconftool commands. This feature is very nice and I have avoided totally unintended changes to desktop (e.g long pressure in pocket and then you will get a new desktop layout, etc...).

Questions:
Does this CSSU hildon-desktop include same or similar functionality?
Is there somewhere detailed description of changes/improvements?

Keep on good work!

Edit:
Tested hildon-desktop from CSSU, but it seems that gconftool controls are not working for CSSU hildon-desktop.
Should those commands work (Applied Matan's patches)?
Anyway, reverted back to Matan's latest version of modified-hildon-desktop, all other files updated.

One early notice, when clicking web bookmark icon from desktop, browser will open 2 windows. One with selected web page and one browser window with all saved bookmarks (default view).

Last edited by Gusse; 2011-01-28 at 15:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gusse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
I'm interested to be a tester for CSSU, but before that I'd like to know more about CSSU hildon-desktop.
Cool, thank you!

Is there somewhere detailed description of changes/improvements?
merlin1991 started on a changelog:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU#Changelog

Which is based on the commits in gitorious:

http://gitorious.org/community-ssu/h...commits/master

I'm sure he'd appreciate any help in fleshing it out.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
hi

i am updatet my Phone via CSSU, all works smoothly

i have a problem with the app mymenu. it works perfectly, but it always show me a update notice for the app. when i click update it aborts due the missing hildon packages.

is it possible to forbid searching for updates?

can some one help me?

cheers

Edit: i also noticed following bug: when i tap on a internet bookmark on the desktop, always two windows were opened ( first: the homepage and second: the app internet which is shown )

Last edited by StocChr; 2011-01-29 at 11:27.

The CSSU is now officially open: http://maemo.org/community/council/m...ty_os_updates/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
One early notice, when clicking web bookmark icon from desktop, browser will open 2 windows. One with selected web page and one browser window with all saved bookmarks (default view).
Are you sure that's related to the CSSU, and didn't happen before? Not quite sure how it could be related to that, unless the modified hildon-desktop does something different with DBUS.

Anyway, if it cannot be recreated on a clean PR1.3, please raise a bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ indonesia
interesting though.

if I installed on my n900 couldnt it clash,collapse with my current packages .
what about dependency.

The Following User Says Thank You to cloud596 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade