Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
This is where I think Nokia really f'd themselves..
It's not really.....
They ****ed themselves w/Maemo6 before they even got close to transitioning to real MeeGo.
Before the strategy change Nokia had done almost nothing w/real meego, Intel was doing most of the dev.*
The actual setting-up of all the infrastructure etc, did little to slow things down.
Things had already been slowed right down thanks to dev issues/delays with Maemo6x.

But even if they had been on track...
It's still not clear if Intel would've had the silicon for them to deliver their 1st true MeeGo handset/s.
Which by original timelines was to be Q4 of 2011, there was to be at least 2 ARM/Maemo ones before that.

It amazes me that people still cite the Moblin/Maemo tie-up as the single-biggest cause.
There's much more to it than that....

*and that was mostly not for handsets.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-07 at 13:46.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I don't think that Intel did very much for MeeGo. Intel continued with Moblin, taking in some stuff from Nokia, but when you look at the handset MeeGo side, there's not much to be seen from Intel. But you'll recognize a lot of Nokia's MeeGo contributions when looking at Harmattan, e.g. meegotouch or the duicontrolpanel.
In secret without working together with Nokia, Intel did the Tablet UX, which never became an official UX, and was soon abandoned by Intel.
But under the hood the Tablet UX was still Moblin.

^ Compared to the focus/work that had been done on the full stack for Maemo6x...
Their contribution towards MeeGo was still miniscule at that point, & hadn't begun to really ramp-up.
Intel was almost zilch for handsets (except for lowest lvl stuff), as that isn't what they were tasked with.

Anyway we're all getting way off-topic now aren't we!?!

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-07 at 13:49.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
You don't know that. There are things happening in the background that only Nokia knows, to protect themselves from the investors walking away.

There was no sign of recovery, you are mistaken. The only sign was the leak of N9-00 (the N950), problems with competitors (RIM, WebOS and Android) and the revelation of the N9...those did boost support temporarily but left many doubts because of the long-wait.

From what Balmer says, MeeGo wasn't ready for a long time. I think he's right, it wasn't ready, but I dont think it was as far off as he said it would be. By the time Nokia makes its 3rd/4th WPhone, MeeGo would've been ready but could Nokia really survive that long?
(Probably not)...and would MeeGo be able to revive them (probably not), whereas they have a finished ecosystem NOW, with APPS, and its not half-bad either.

Nokia and Microsoft entered a mutual symbiosis. But is this the best case scenario for Nokia? No. Were they f***ed? Yes, by themselves.
I was mostly refering to the N8 success in late 2010 and early 2011 when I said recovery plus the stock gaining some momentum. Ballmer doesn't know much about meego you probably mean Elop he probably doesn't know anything about it either. I probably agree with you about the state meego was but I disagree with your high hopes on Win Phones.

Meego could or could not have been a succues but WP are definitely a failure to the point that even MS thinks so. What they do to promote it is sue everyone that uses android and still noone adopts WP. Buy out Symbian and intall a trojan horse in Nokia but still noone cares about the lumia phones, after all that money and all that hours spent on WP still 1,5 and do I need to bring up the link where they are giving them away do I?

And you keep obssesing with apps Nokia does not need apps nokia needs money. Is WP bringing them or anyone else money??? I think not.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Bada phones are cheap, they look like Android/Galaxy S's and they are available in a mass (especially in 3rd world countries).
Windows Phone will surpass Bada very soon (2012) with Nokia's help since Nokia is the 3WC-King. Nearly everyone in Africa, India, and Middle-East have one...because of strong brand trademark.

From Gartner (Global '11 Q3)
Android: 52.5%
Symbian: 16.9%
iOS: 15.0%
RIM: 11.0%
Bada: 2.2%
Windows Phone: 1.5%
WebOS, Maemo, Other: 0.9%

I think towards the end of the year, we should see Android "slowing down" (maybe close to 53% ?), Apple catching up (upto 18%), WPhone greatly adopting (11%), RIM losing (9%), Bada/Others holding steady (3%) and Symbian dropped off (6%).
3WC wont buy any WP or any other smartphones they will buy A S40 or something similar. 11% Seems way too optimistic I think 4-5% may be doable with aggressive addvertisment but more than that is not happening at least until 2015 and Nokia does not have that time that is why I believe they got f****

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It's not really.....
They ****ed themselves w/Maemo6 before they even got close to transitioning to real MeeGo.
Before the strategy change Nokia had done almost nothing w/real meego, Intel was doing most of the dev.*
The actual setting-up of all the infrastructure etc, did little to slow things down.
Things had already been slowed right down thanks to dev issues/delays with Maemo6x.

this is my point the merger of moblin/maemo decision wasnt made over night, what ever problems they ran into moving forward with maemo5 to 6 they got worse when creating meego.

Intel had 0 clout in mobile, and still doesnt, moblin was going to be their way in. Nokia got wrapped up in helping intel break into the mobile space. Now maemo wasnt only burdened with it's own problems but Intel/moblin's problems as well.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Nokia Not-so-smartphone (or whatever you want to call it) division headed by Mary McDowell.

The N9 was the last non-WP phone from Elop's division. But Qt and Meltemi belong to McDowell's division. Probably a next Maemo descendant will emerge from there.
Is she still in control? Meltemi is suppose to be the successor of symbian correct? My understanding is that accenture now controls the development of symbian and I havent seen anything from them in reference to meltemi.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20...?tag=mncol;txt

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
This stinks of Meltemi:
http://www.smarterphone.com/products.php

Not necessarily true, but seems very likely.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Omfg . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
this is my point the merger of moblin/maemo decision wasnt made over night, what ever problems they ran into moving forward with maemo5 to 6 they got worse when creating meego.
Intel had 0 clout in mobile, and still doesnt, moblin was going to be their way in. Nokia got wrapped up in helping intel break into the mobile space. Now maemo wasnt only burdened with it's own problems but Intel/moblin's problems as well.
Still by far the biggest issues were assoc. w/the whole transition to maemo6/qt etc.
Helping Intel w/meego was "mostly" just helping themselves with Maemo6x.
The tie-up definitely wasn't a huge factor in the slow-down....
It played a part, but not nearly as significant as people like to assert.

Is she still in control? Meltemi is suppose to be the successor of symbian correct? My understanding is that accenture now controls the development of symbian and I havent seen anything from them in reference to meltemi.
No Meltemi is rumoured to replace S40 with a stripped-down Maemo6x + Qt5 + SwipeUX.
It's not been made clear what the full range of devices it'll support will be yet.
But it's focus will apparently be the lower end, possibly creeping into smartphone territory.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-07 at 20:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
This stinks of Meltemi:
http://www.smarterphone.com/products.php

Not necessarily true, but seems very likely.
No that's a co. they bought in Nov last year....
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/06/n...le-os-company/
But there's probably something about it that's handy for the whole Meltemi thing.

Ignore the utterly clueless remarks in the Engadget article.
You have to be forgiving with them sometimes, they're Americans, jk

I doubt it's Meltemi, if that's it, eeerm... I won't... be... happy.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-07 at 20:10.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
This article dug deeper on the Smarterphone site:
http://nokiabuff.com/2012/01/07/noki...ne-os-meltemi/

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: