Posts: 175 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester UK
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Erm - read the thread?
62 pages a bit too much to read - sorry - i was hoping some of you guys will have now decided what's best....

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mchu6am4 View Post
62 pages a bit too much to read - sorry - i was hoping some of you guys will have now decided what's best....
Start at the most recent ones & read back then - you'll get the most up-to-date info first then. But no, there's no definitive answer to this question, as much of it is down to personal taste.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
OK here you are. Sorry it took a while because I had to borrow a camera (the N900 is normally my camera).

This is the Qubits Hybrid Armour Soft Touch Case with Screen Protector from Amazon UK. The total cost for the case and screen protector (including shipping!) was only £3.40. It arrived two days after I ordered it.

Included in the price is a two-part plastic "soft touch" case. It's a semi-hard ploastic case in two parts, with a rubbery coating on the outside surfaces. The top part clips around the screen, protecting the sides of the screen and providing a raised bezel effect (but the bezel doesn't go right up to the display area so it doesn't have the problems of the N8x0 bezels). The bottom part clips around the keyboard with cutouts for all the sockets and controls.

There are three minor downsides though. First, it adds a millimetre of thickness (maybe even 1.5mm) but only at the front. At the back, it doesn't make it as thick as the existing camera protruberance. Second, when you open the keyboard, the presense of the top half of the case slightly reduces the "free space for fat fingers" above the top row of keys. I don't find this a problem, but for some people it might be a slight inconvenience. Third, it makes it slightly fiddlier to deploy the kickstand.

Regards,
Roger
The Amazon link had user reviews repeatedly say the top half of the case is not a good fit and falls off easily. Did you find this true?

Is there a way to secure a belt clip to this case?

Originally Posted by kin900 View Post
i ordered the "hightec."

i dont think its bad at all. That rubbery feel would need some time to get used to. im just disappointed at how i applied it because i rushed to get it on so i can use the device. i need to order another. *sigh* AGAIN, it doesnt affect the sensitivity!

one more thing. it seems as if the width of the screen protector is 1mm short. it just barely covers the screen. i dont know if its just the one i have right now or not. i will let you know once i get my other hightec in.
Kin900, Durasec's web site advertises that their protectors are "removable without residue (simply pull off)". Is this true in your experience? Also, is it replaceable after you remove it? Also, how is it applied (does it have an adhesive? did you have to wet it with water?)

http://www.durasec.com/catalog/nokia...p;currency=USD

I really like how the plastic protector that came with the N900 attached to the screen. It attached with some sort of "static electricity" type of mechanism (it wasn't static electricity but I don't know how else to describe it; you all who bought a N900 should remember what I mean). The only problem is it was colored black.

Last edited by JCH; 2010-02-22 at 04:23.

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
Durasec hightec or cleartec?

I think generally the "highly durable" little more expensive ones, like the durasec hightec or the zagg invisibleshield are rubbery and as such very scratch resistant (things don't actually scratch the surface, but more like dent it, which the surface recovers from quickly), while the little cheaper "clear" and thinner ones are the usualy acrylic plastic sheet-type, which is less rubbery but gets scratched easily.

I think I'll go for a 5-pack of durasec cleartec protectors.
On the front page of Durasec's web site for customers they say the Cleartec protectors lasts only several weeks each. See this link below, and on the animation click on the Cleartec and it says this (while the Hightec is said to last several years). http://www.durasec.com/catalog/index.php?language=en

If you go with the Cleartec come back and tell us if it really only lasts a few weeks each. Thanks.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Kin900, Durasec's web site advertises that their protectors are "removable without residue (simply pull off)". Is this true in your experience? Also, is it replaceable after you remove it? Also, how is it applied (does it have an adhesive? did you have to wet it with water?)
It is removable without residue, yes - it's quite an effort to remove (it's very sticky) but the screen was perfectly clean afterwards. As for applying it, the back's covered with adhesive, so it's just a case of lining it up and pressing it on (no water required). The problem I had with it is that it's very sticky and very flexible, which makes it tricky to get lined up. I had to remove and retry a few times, with the result that the material stretched slightly and over-ran the edge of the screen

Noreve has brought up yet another new case for the nokia n900, its called the tradition C:

I like this one better than the flip type i had the chance to reivew..
image from symbian oasis

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
clear protector sux. I used 2 already in 2months. It claimed that it's has scratch resistance and life time warranty. But after 1month the plastic turnes darker and the longer it is on the screwn the darker it will be. It used to be clear but after i find that my screen is darker than before, i pulled it off and it turned dark brown colour. The protector is bad on the screen, very painfully to get it installed but easily get scratches, also dust and dirt magnet. It amke the device look much older and hard to clean. One thing it's good for is the self healing when you applied pressure on it, it dented and then back to normal. It leave the screen sensitivity almost the same as without using it. Now i'm just using a static screen protector, and it's much easier to clean and clearer in the sun light also easy taking off, cheaper and not sticky like the clearprotector.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Birmingham, UK
So I bought the Vikuitti DQC-160 with the Waterfields N900 Pouch and a PDair Pouch too, I have to say I am really impressed with all the results, especially the Vikuitti screen protector.

I followed zehjotkah's advice to put it on but still had a bit of trouble - kept getting bubbles appearing near the edges. So I cleaned the protector with 100% alcohol, put it on as best as I could and removed any bubbles present.. then when bubbles started appearing again after a while near the edges I smoothed them out (with a credit card) until they disappeared again, covered the protector (so no dust falls on it) and left it for a while (about a day). Checked it the next day and no bubbles and everything's ok, it takes a bit of time to put a screen protector on (took a few go's for me) but the end result is worth it.. see for yourself below.

As for the cases, the Waterfields pouch really does exactly what it says - a nice simplistic pouch, good quality material, doesn't add any bulkiness to the phone but.. just don't drop it as it's not meant to withstand falls.. although I did drop it once and the phone is still ok lol.

The PDair pouch is also very good, good quality leather and stitching, the phone feels very secure in it and it's padded so can easily withstand knocks and falls - but I'm not gonna test it for you. It comes with a nice box and free leather keyring too if you like your freebies!

To be honest though I prefer the simplicity of the waterfields pouch, but more professional users who also want added protection will prefer the PDair I think. If anyone is looking to buy the PDair pouch in the UK, I will let the one I have go for a decent price..

Anyway back to playing on my N900!

Last edited by frazzl3; 2010-03-09 at 10:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to frazzl3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Valencia (Spain)
Hi all.

I've been seeking a lot for an appropriate pouch for my N900. My bad experiences with the pouch for my HTC Bluangel showed me that a good one is a must.

Maybe, I could help someone with this "subjective" review. These are my needs, an can be different for others.

I've been reading this thread and wiki (http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Accessories) for a solution, and, finally, I decided to select a modified version of the PielFrama N900 pouch (http://www.pielframa.com/fundas-noki...ersal-treo.htm).

These are my needs:
-Belt horizontal pouch.
-Un-removable fixation to the belt (no clips). This avoids to lose the PDA.
-High quality textile or leather materials (leather imitation or plastic degrades quickly).
-PDA as protected as possible.
-Soft textile or leather inside.
-The PDA can be taken out easily from the pouch for answering calls.

I've been testing it for a couple of days an these are my impressions. I'm impressed with the quality, but not all is perfect!.

Here is the front of the pouch. It has been finished very well and the materials seems very good.

Now, the PDA inside. The edges are oversized. This provides an extra protection in the case of eventual drops (this happened with my previous pouch, so this a reason for the election).
Inside of the pouch, the leather is very soft (it seems good for the PDA, I think).

In the rear of the pouch, it is the fixation for the belt. This is not the one by default because I managed to change it for this type (at an extra cost, but possible).

The screen of the PDA is faced in this manner because I found an issue, keep reading.

In the bottom there is a hole to take the PDA out of the pouch quickly. This is good for me.

All the edges are covered with leather. But the laterals are sufficiently open to hear the phone ringing or, if you rotate the PDA, to connect the earphones.

All seemed excellent for me, but surprise !!!. Sometimes, when I put the PDA in the pouch, it turns on! Magically!. I detected that the reason are the magnetic clips, and, googling, I found that others are suffering this problem.
See here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36194) and vote this bug (Bug 6689, https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6689), please.

I found that putting the PDA with the screen facing to me, minimizes the problem.

Definitively, this is my pouch except for the magnetic clips.

Regards,
Àngel

Tags
accessories, accessory, case, gear, holster, n900, pouch, protection, screen protector