Active Topics

Why so? using u-boot tools package, you can easily create u-boot with any attached kernel you like. Not to mention, that attaching kernels to u-boot is pointless - you can always boot from either eMMC or microSD stored kernel image, and this way you can forget flashing, when new KP comes out (only need to flash, when new u-boot appears). kernel is always loaded in RAM, anyway, so it's 0 difference if u-boot load it from NAND (attached), or from kernel image placed anywhere.

Except for fact, that with attached kernel, you need to flash them every time you want to have different one attached (usually, every new stable version of KP) - then it becomes almost equivalent of multiboot, re NAND war. So, attaching kernel is silly thing to do.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Why so? using u-boot tools package, you can easily create u-boot with any attached kernel you like. Not to mention, that attaching kernels to u-boot is pointless - you can always boot from either eMMC or microSD stored kernel image, and this way you can forget flashing, when new KP comes out (only need to flash, when new u-boot appears). kernel is always loaded in RAM, anyway, so it's 0 difference if u-boot load it from NAND (attached), or from kernel image placed anywhere.

Except for fact, that with attached kernel, you need to flash them every time you want to have different one attached (usually, every new stable version of KP) - then it becomes almost equivalent of multiboot, re NAND war. So, attaching kernel is silly thing to do.

/Estel
How can i do that with uboot tools? . Btw, if there is a way i can boot into maemo with kp52 without opening keyboard (make kp52 kernel to boot as default instead of attached stock) then i am satisfied enough. The thing is, i have n900 (with cssu thumb) as my main phone now so i just want to be on safe side.

Last edited by Sohil876; 2013-04-19 at 09:48.

@Sohil876: Read first post, where is writen how to boot some entry as default (also when keyboard is closed).

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India

/Estel

Originally Posted by pali View Post
@Sohil876: Read first post, where is writen how to boot some entry as default (also when keyboard is closed).
Oh, sorry, i missed it. I did read it some months ago and didnt bothered to re-read it, i will now , and thanks for the info.

Last edited by Sohil876; 2013-04-19 at 17:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sohil876 View Post
How can i do that with uboot tools? . side.
You just flash u-boot image without any kernel attached, either using flasher3.5 from desktop, or - more useful way, as it is independent from other devices - using flasher on device itself, as described here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#F...rom_X_Terminal

(while most info on that wiki page is completely outdated, flashing from terminal section remained actual, to this day).

Just be sure to do *both* commands as root. You can take u-boot image from uboot-booimg package - download it (*not* install, just download), unpack via dpkg-deb -x /path/to/download-u-boot-bootimg.deb /home/user/MyDocs, and you'll find image in one of extracted folders (u-boot.bin, IIRC).

Anegdote - using this method, I was able to remotely migrate device from multiboot to u-boot, without physical access to it (it was many kilometers away), and no one touching it - in addition, device was sitting behind NAT and firewall, that I had no access to. Everything was done via ssh (two sessions for flashing), and automatic reverse-ssh upon device reboots. No local intervention of anyone was required

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
New version of U-Boot 2013.04-1 is in Extras-Devel. There is support for ext2/3/4 MyDocs partition and booting 3.x kernels. Read first post.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
* u-boot-update-bootmenu can be configured to use different MyDocs, etc and boot paths (useful for non Maemo systems)
How? In orde to use diferent partition on eMMC, is it just matter of modifying:
Code:
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p1"
...to contain INT_CARD and correct partition number?

This whole ITEM_DEVICE just tells u-boot on which partition to look for bootmenu.src file and bootmenu.img.d directory, yep? Or is it important for something else, too?

How to create bootmenu entry for U-Boot:
copy kernel image zImage-my to /opt/boot/
create config file in /etc/bootmenu.d/ with suffix .item

Bootmeny entry for other system on SD card:

Code:
ITEM_NAME="My name"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_INITRD="uInitrd"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext4"
ITEM_CMDLINE="kernel cmdline"
This means that you have SD card with first partition ext4. On that partition is kernel image with name uImage and initrd/initramfs file with name uInitrd (both generated by mkimage, see below
If I want to have entry for booting uImage of certain name from SD card, as kernel for Maemo (no matter what kernel I actually put there, under that filename), do I still need to use those ITEM_INITRD and ITEM_CMDLINE, just because I'm using SD card? or is it required only for non-Maemo systems?

If yes, what is diferent on non-Maemo systems, that they need it? May it be, that in case of Maemo, ITEM_OMAPATAG make it read all those things from hardcoded place, and it is why we need to specify them manually, in case of non ITEM_OMAPATAG=1?
---

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2013-04-20 at 13:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
How? In orde to use diferent partition on eMMC, is it just matter of modifying:
Code:
...to contain INT_CARD and correct partition number?

This whole ITEM_DEVICE just tells u-boot on which partition to look for bootmenu.src file and bootmenu.img.d directory, yep? Or is it important for something else, too?
No, you can specify different path to first eMMC partition. Maemo using /home/user/MyDocs, but you can mount it to other path... now u-boot-update-bootmenu will work if you change it (by specifing path param).

ITEM_DEVICE will tell u-boot-update-bootmenu where to find kernel and initfs images. bootmenu.img.d must be always on first emmc partition.

If I want to have entry for booting uImage of certain name from SD card, as kernel for Maemo (no matter what kernel I actually put there, under that filename), do I still need to use those ITEM_INITRD and ITEM_CMDLINE, just because I'm using SD card? or is it required only for non-Maemo systems?
ITEM_INITRD tells u-boot what initrd file to use when booting. ITEM_CMDLINE overwrite default cmdline hardcoded in kernel image.

If yes, what is diferent on non-Maemo systems, that they need it? May it be, that in case of Maemo, ITEM_OMAPATAG make it read all those things from hardcoded place, and it is why we need to specify them manually, in case of non ITEM_OMAPATAG=1?
ITEM_OMAPATAG=1 will tell u-boot to add omap atag with n900 data into atag linked-list. omap atag is needed to boot some kernels (e.g maemo kernel)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,238 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
finally I successfully migrated from multiboot to u-boot without messing with my device. But my phones bootmenu is different than the image attached at first post by pali.

Last edited by panjgoori; 2013-04-21 at 11:53.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Milan - Italy
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
finally I successfully migrated from multiboot to u-boot without messing with my device. But my phones bootmenu is different than the image attached at first post by pali.

I think u have installed bootmenu and backupmenu

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot