Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
It is now (V0.25) possible to directly edit the CLI string
Awesome. I look forward to the update!

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yep, the "broken" database should definitely help me debug this It might help if you also include your current settings file (/opt/modrana/data/options.bin) - eq. I can test in the same environment, settings-wise.
Will do, and will PM you with the link when I put it up. Won't be for another 8 to 12 hours though, as I have to wait to be home to put it up. (My wiki is having issues right now, so no remote editing works. )

Thanks again for the work on this! It's really nice having all this in one place. Btw: I do plan on trying to get the tile server thing up and running still... I've had a string of bad timing on my end, as I work for a group that's impacted when natural disasters happen. And you may have noted, there's been quite a few lately, both internationally and in the US... So once the planet starts cooperating...

Update: Due to a cold, I went home and crashed last night. :P Will set an alarm to remind me to post/pm it tonight before that.

Last edited by woody14619; 2011-05-05 at 19:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
quick question: can I derive from the numeric sub-directory naming (under ~/myDocs/.maps/Google maps) the geographic area that the sub-directory relates to?

I downloaded a large amount of tiles, both around various cities and along various routes, in different countries. Unfortunately, these tiles didn't seem to be available to Modrana when I needed them, but that's a different story (good old Ovi maps came to the rescue!).

Anyway, I'm tight on space in my MyDocs partition and I want to strip out any downloaded tiles in Italy, Spain and USA. Can I find out the appropriate folder names (under myDocs/.maps/Google maps) and delete just these specific tiles (leaving any UK tiles I currently have untouched)?

Also, once I know what directories i want to delete tiles from, can I delete the whole directory (such that it will be recreated automatically should I in future re-download tiles for that area) or must I leave the directories in place and just delete their contents?

TIA for any advice (worst case, I don't mind just deleting all content under Google maps - as long as that won't prevent Modrana from recreating the directory structure when needed).

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi MartinK.

Your recent upgrade has substantially improved modRana's performance. It was quite noticable if you are using a poorer internet service and you would like to look at sattelite images. Thanks for your efforts!

I have a question about routing algorithms. When I was testing modRana, I tried to see how well it would route me to work and it actually came up with a route (unlike other naviagtation apps) that put me on a limited access road you would have to go through a security check to proceed. Is it possible to select other routing algorithms in case I do not have proper credentials to proceed! (ie major roads, shortest distance or time)

Thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi MartinK.

Your recent upgrade has substantially improved modRana's performance. It was quite noticable if you are using a poorer internet service and you would like to look at sattelite images. Thanks for your efforts!

I have a question about routing algorithms. When I was testing modRana, I tried to see how well it would route me to work and it actually came up with a route (unlike other naviagtation apps) that put me on a limited access road you would have to go through a security check to proceed. Is it possible to select other routing algorithms in case I do not have proper credentials to proceed! (ie major roads, shortest distance or time)

Thanks again!
options->navigation->online routing allows you some control (avoid major highways and/or toll roads). Also, if you end up facing a security checkpoint, you can of course just back up, drive around it via any available road (using good old eyeballs for guidance!) and then use the modrana reroute function - which will hopefully restore you to the optimal route.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by bipinbn View Post
@Martin

thank you for the latest update...its much faster and smooth now..

Just wanted to point you to one issue which needs to be sorted out..

When i do a point-point routing and after the route is calculated i go into route info page and see the text containing origin and destination info is messed up. I think reducing the font size to fit in the text should fix this. Please check the screen shot below:

Thanks again for your efforts

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32073914@N07/5685901961/
Thanks for reporting this - looks I'll just have to add some interline spacing.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Btw: I do plan on trying to get the tile server thing up and running still... .
I don't know if it will be of any help, but I have recently encountered a few new OSM renders:
memphis which is used in libchamplain
QTileRenderer thas is being used by Monav

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I've had a string of bad timing on my end, as I work for a group that's impacted when natural disasters happen. And you may have noted, there's been quite a few lately, both internationally and in the US... So once the planet starts cooperating...
Wow, that sounds quite interesting ! Well then, lets hope the planet cooperates, at least for a while.

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
quick question: can I derive from the numeric sub-directory naming (under ~/myDocs/.maps/Google maps) the geographic area that the sub-directory relates to?
The naming is like this:
z/x/y
Where z is the current zoomlevel, x and y are coordinates in Mercator projection. Upper left corner is is 0,0 and the numbers increase to west for x and to south for y.
You can check out the T@H static map - it shows how the addressing works quite nicely.

But back to the question - is it manually possible to remove tiles for a country ? I would say its too much hassle (you would have to get a bounding box for the country on about 8-9 relevant zoomlevels and then remove all the folders that fall into it by hand).

But doing this in an automatic manner would be certainly doable - I will consider this (removing all tiles inside/outside of an area) as a part of the tile-update functionality.

I downloaded a large amount of tiles, both around various cities and along various routes, in different countries. Unfortunately, these tiles didn't seem to be available to Modrana when I needed them, but that's a different story (good old Ovi maps came to the rescue!).

Anyway, I'm tight on space in my MyDocs partition and I want to strip out any downloaded tiles in Italy, Spain and USA. Can I find out the appropriate folder names (under myDocs/.maps/Google maps) and delete just these specific tiles (leaving any UK tiles I currently have untouched)?
See above - I would say just delete tho whole directory and let modRana re-download. You might also consider using the sqlite (Options->Map->Tile storage for tile storage - it significantly reduces space usage ( 60MB vs 1,8 GB as reported by one user).

Also, once I know what directories i want to delete tiles from, can I delete the whole directory (such that it will be recreated automatically should I in future re-download tiles for that area) or must I leave the directories in place and just delete their contents?

TIA for any advice (worst case, I don't mind just deleting all content under Google maps - as long as that won't prevent Modrana from recreating the directory structure when needed).
No problem at all, modRana automatically recreates the folder if it is not found.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi MartinK.

Thanks again!
options->navigation->online routing allows you some control (avoid major highways and/or toll roads). Also, if you end up facing a security checkpoint, you can of course just back up, drive around it via any available road (using good old eyeballs for guidance!) and then use the modrana reroute function - which will hopefully restore you to the optimal route.
ModRana currently uses the Google Directions online service for routing. It basically just ask for a route between two points with some parameters (car/foot route, highways yes/no, etc.). Quality of the resulting route entirely depends on quality of the geographic data Google has.

Support for on/off-line routing based on OpenStreatmap data is planned. Due to the open nature of OSM, it would be then possible to just fix the route in the OSM database and solve such issue once at for all.

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-05-05 at 17:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
@MartinK, for offline routing, do you mean that you will make use of the MoNav Routing Daemon?

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
@MartinK, for offline routing, do you mean that you will make use of the MoNav Routing Daemon?
Yep, most probably. Also Monav 0.3, that was released a while ago IIRC finally has some basic CLI routing functionality. So if somebody upgrades the Monav 0.2 daemon that is currently in extras to 0.3, I can start working on support in modRana right away.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Hello,
is it possible to import a gps track and re-drive it. I got some nice mountainbike tracks recorded by a friend and i want to drive them by myself.

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnny_knoe For This Useful Post:
Some time ago you corrected this bug but it s back again :

- When i log a track and pause, the time not stop

The Following User Says Thank You to Garfield007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnny_knoe View Post
Hello,
is it possible to import a gps track and re-drive it. I got some nice mountainbike tracks recorded by a friend and i want to drive them by myself.

Thanks!
ModRana supports displaying GPX tracklogs over the map. To add your own track, place it into one of the folders in /opt/modrana/tracklogs (or you can add a new folder in there). This is a bit cumbersome and will be improved in the future.

The file you have added will show up in the tracklogs submenu in a category corresponding to the folder name.

To display a tracklog on the map, click on its name and click on show on map. You can set color of the tracklog using its tools submenu.

Originally Posted by Garfield007 View Post
Some time ago you corrected this bug but it s back again :

- When i log a track and pause, the time not stop
Thanks for reporting this issue, I'll check it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps