Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
[Press Release]

Jolla Ltd and D.Phone sign product Sales Agreement.

Jolla Ltd. and China’s Largest Smartphone Retail Chain D.Phone Sign Product Sales Agreement

Jolla Ltd., a rising Finnish smartphone product company, has signed a Sales and Distribution agreement with D.Phone Group, the largest mobile phones retail chain in China. Together the companies have a shared target to reach significant sales volumes in China’s 150 million smartphone market. The agreement is such that D.Phone will start sales and distribution of Jolla smartphones in China, utilising D.Phone’s vast network of over 2000 retail stores to reach the Chinese consumers.

Mr. Donghai Liu, Founder and CEO of D.Phone Group: "We see great potential for Jolla as a new player in the Chinese smartphone market with Jolla’s fresh and unique user experience. Together with Jolla our aim is to reach significant sales volumes."

Dr. Antti Saarnio, Chairman of Jolla Ltd.: "China has the largest and most rapidly expanding smartphone market in the world. This agreement with D.Phone is a major step in Jolla’s journey towards becoming a significant player in the global smartphone market"

Jolla Ltd. is an independent Finland based smartphone product company that will
reveal its first product later this year. Jolla was founded in 2011 by a team of former Nokia mobile industry professionals. The company is headquartered in Helsinki, Finland and has an R&D office in Tampere, Finland.

D.Phone is China’s largest chain retailer of mobile phones and accessories with extensive nationwide retail coverage of over 2,000 outlets across the country. D.Phone is a strategic partner with China Mobile, China Telecom and China
Unicom.

Sincerely,

Mr. Donghai Liu Dr. Antti Saarnio
Founder and CEO Chairman of the Board
D.Phone Group Jolla Ltd.

I'd rather be interested in news about their development and OS or at least about hardware that they target. News about deals with Chinese distributors while marginally interesting, affect only those from China But good anyway, more exposure for Jolla is needed. They do plan to sell their products world wide too, right?

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-07-16 at 05:39.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I'd rather be interested in news about their development and OS or at least about hardware that they target. News about deals with Chinese distributors while marginally interesting, affect only those from China But good anyway, more exposure for Jolla is needed. They do plan to sell their products world wide too, right?
I would say at this points it's more important to secure your supporters. We know they can deliver on software side Meamo is a great example these guys are good, but sales wise they need as many partners as they can!!!

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Breaking news from Finland:

http://www.talouselama.fi/uutiset/jo...anssa/a2137188

Hard first blow for Jolla: sales and distribution agreement with China's largest mobile phone chain

Jolla, which is coming to the market with MeeGo phones, has made ​​a sales and distribution agreement with Chinas largest retail chain of smartphones D.Phone Group.

Companies' shared goal is to reach "significant volume of sales," 150 million smartphones on the market in China alone.

D.Phone Group has more than 2,000 retail stores throughout China. It is also a strategic partner of China Mobile , China Telecom and China Unicom .

"Jolla is a new player in the Chinese smartphone market, which offers a fresh and unique user experience. In Jolla we see great potential. Our goal is to reach significant volume of sales", D.Phone Group's founder and CEO of Donghai Liu says.

"China has the world's largest and fastest-growing smartphone market. Contract with D. Phone is a very big step in a major way to start Jolla to became a big player in the global smartphone market," said Chairman of the Board Jolla Antti Saarnio.

E: Oh, missed the whole last page Well, I'll still leave this translation here

Last edited by jamqpa; 2012-07-16 at 06:12.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Can't entirely agree with this. Getting a strong start in the Chinese market through a large distributor will give Jolla the stability of sales (and revenue) it needs to better position itself from a global perspective.

It may also provide Jolla with an opportunity to license or dostribute to other handset makers in the same region should the product prove successful.

Congrats to the team I say!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Indeed. And if they suceed, it's a bit of an virtual finger to Nokia too, because Nokia switched its focus from Asia (and left China Mobile in the cold when it abandoned MeeGo) to the cesspool that is the (way smaller) US market.

A virtual finger because they as a newcomer (newcomer as in the company, not as in their employees) can then take the market there quite substantially, with an OS that Nokia dumped, whileas Nokia's arrogant, clueless management phucked up huge time trying to charm US buyers with an substitute OS almost nobody wants and they have no control over anyway.

I can't keep waiting to see how this round plays out!

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-07-16 at 06:44.

I didn't say that there is something wrong with that deal. I said that's not what's interesting to hear as some news from them.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...and we just did say it is entirely interesting for us to also hear such news, because they give us a bigger picture.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
* Mer Core, a fully open source mobile Core (http://www.merproject.org) and openly governed, used by multiple vendors
* A hardware adaptation, may or may not be closed source and may or may not be redistributable (like all other HW adaptations)
* A 'handset' project that serves to create a handset architecture, with general applications that work. Handset project is open source and openly governed (but not a democracy, see below).
* Company special sauce that makes device a <company> device, not possible to involve in by community and is closed source.
You could try to do what Id Software is doing and making delayed release of the source code for closed parts like 'special sauce'. It would be better than nothing.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
I also believe that Intel has some interest in this...
I hope not. Like its partner in crime, MS, all their mobile initiatives and partnerships are abject failures.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla