Thanks a lot for your explanation, Pali!

Originally Posted by pali View Post
No, you can specify different path to first eMMC partition. Maemo using /home/user/MyDocs, but you can mount it to other path... now u-boot-update-bootmenu will work if you change it (by specifing path param).
Where I need to specify that path param? A argument applied after u-boot-update-bootmenu? Is syntax explained in -h of u-boot-update-bootmenu?

ITEM_DEVICE will tell u-boot-update-bootmenu where to find kernel and initfs images. bootmenu.img.d must be always on first emmc partition.
Wait, I don't get something. bootmenu.img.d is the place, where kernel uImages are stored. But, you've just said that it always *must* be on first eMMC partition and, at the same time, that ITEM_DEVICE tells, where to look for kernel images? I hope I'm not suck at explaining, but it looks like conflicting statements.

ITEM_INITRD tells u-boot what initrd file to use when booting.
Where we can find syntax for it? Is it regular, absolute path, or something containing EXT_CARD (or INT_CARD) and partition numbers?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

u-boot-update-bootmenu -h should show that help message

ITEM_DEVICE will tell u-boot-update-bootmenu where to find kernel and initfs images in uimage format. Then ITEM_KERNEL and ITEM_INITRD is absolute path (without leading /) to images on ITEM_DEVICE. ITEM_DEVICE should use ${EXT_CARD} and ${INT_CARD} (see bellow)

if ITEM_DEVICE is not specified, the u-boot-update-bootmenu, will try to find ITEM_KERNEL and ITEM_INITRD images in /boot and /opt/boot in normal (zImage bootable format), pack them into uimage format and store to first emmc partition in dir bootmenu.img.d. Then generate menu entry to load images (in uimage format) from bootmenu.img.d

bootmenu.scr will be always at first emmc partition.

${EXT_CARD} and ${INT_CARD} are special variables which contains special uboot strings which can be used only in ITEM_DEVICE.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
finally I successfully migrated from multiboot to u-boot without messing with my device. But my phones bootmenu is different than the image attached at first post by pali.
This is not uboot, but maemo bootmenu: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74720
It cannot boot other kernels, only start another script (like backupmenu or recovery console mode)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Trying to install latest version from Extras-Devel via HAM....

However, when I try to install it, I get error message:

!!!U-Boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1 breaks the 3rd party package policy
If I click on the 'Details' button, it says under the Problems tab:

Unable to install'U-Boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1'
What can I do to install U-Boot?

FWIW, I recently reflashed my n900, so, all fresh....

Wow! It has been several days since I posted about install problem and requesting some help....but no input...is it because there is no solution or my problem is so elementary that I should have figured it out myself or ???

Seriously, would greatly appreciate some guidance as to how to get U-Boot installed...

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Last edited by ArchiMark; 2013-04-24 at 13:29. Reason: Update

Posts: 1,238 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
This is not uboot, but maemo bootmenu: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74720
It cannot boot other kernels, only start another script (like backupmenu or recovery console mode)
thanks for the reply. i thought may be i have installed U-boot . Can you guide me to how to install U-boot. I have never installed u-boot before.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Really you cannot read?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Hintful completion of Pali's sentence :-)

""Really you cannot read...." all the stuff I typed in the first and later posts and that of others in the thread?"

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Hello Guys,

i have a following scenario:
I have N900 with Kernel-power52 and latest U-Boot 04.2013
My External SD Card is 32GB Class 10 and has 3 Partitions:

/dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 (FAT32)
/dev/mmcblk1p2 /media/mmc1p2 (EXT3), NitDroid
/dev/mmcblk1p3 /media/mmc1p3 (EXT4), Nemo

I want to have a Triple-Boot System via U-Boot with Maemo, NitDroid and Nemo.

Nemo is installed on the third partition on the external MicroSD Card, the uImage and all other files like system configuration*.map etc. files are also there.

Maemo and NitDroid are booting fine, Nemo starts booting, but then it freezes on the Nemo Background. After some time it try to remount the ext4 partition and doing the same. Freezing on Nemo Background, retrying to remount...

Maybe something is wrong with my Nemo U-Boot configuration ?

Here are my Nemo configiguration:

TEM_NAME="NEMO 2.6.37"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext4"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rootwait rw console=tty02,115200n8 console=tty0 omapfb.vram=0:2M,1:2M,2:2M mtdoops.mtddev=2"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"

I set
ITEM_CMDLINE=root=/dev/mmcblk0p3, I think in nemo the external sd card is /dev/mmcblk0 and not mmcblk1 like in Maemo.

Maybe somebody, who have Triple-Boot via U-Boot can share me his configuration, or maybe I need a second swap partition on the external sd-card to boot Nemo?

Last edited by explit; 2013-04-25 at 19:54.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by explit View Post
/dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 (FAT32)
/dev/mmcblk1p3 /media/mmc1p3 (EXT3), NitDrodi
/dev/mmcblk1p2 /media/mmc1p2 (EXT4), Nemo
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"
Are you sure that it shuld be "p3" in the .item file while you ave Nemo on "p2"? What does your NITDroid configuration look like?

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Are you sure that it shuld be "p3" in the .item file while you ave Nemo on "p2"? What does your NITDroid configuration look like?
Yes it is on p3, because my NITDROID is on the p2 and booting fine.

The Problem is Nemo, starting to boot, but then it freezing.

NITDROID Configuration is the same, only

ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p2"

I know, when you make the Nemo SD Card from an image, your nemo rootfs would be
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p2"
because, it is on the second partition, the first is small fat, which contains uImage Kernel and the third is Swap.

I have different partition map on my microsd:

First is FAT with my Data, second is NITDROID and Third is NEMO. I copied all files from the small FAT Partition to the nemo Partition, so that kernel, map files etc. are on the same partition like the nemo rootfs. Bad idea ?

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot