Active Topics

I decided not to go for screen protectors. But there I go again living dangerously I felt it would be in the same league as buying a new sofa and covering it with plastic.

My N900 is about six weeks old and so far so good! I'm meticulous about keeping the screen clean though, and I think this makes a big difference. Plus I try to mainly use the stylus...

I figure I'll have it serviced if the screen ever gets bad enough. The replacement cost, however, will likely be equivalent to a new device :/

UPDATE: Touch Screen Assembly is going for 55 € at KLC Finland.

Last edited by Kriek; 2010-04-01 at 18:36.

Originally Posted by m165 View Post
I'm onto my 3rd one now and this is what I got:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

The problem is that it makes the screen "blurry", so smaller text appears fuzzy and harder to read.

Is this a common problem with anti-reflective / anti-glare protectors? There is a clear version by the company, so I may purchase that one instead.
Yes it's common with anti-glare screen protectors. You get anti-glare and trade off to some degree the brilliance of the screen. I am currently using an anti-glare screen protector as well and I'm happy with it. On a plus side I love the smooth feel of anti-glare SPs, and they're not fingerprint magnets either...

Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
I decided not to go for screen protectors. But there I go again living dangerously I felt it would be in the same league as buying a new sofa and covering it with plastic.

My N900 is about six weeks old and so far so good! I'm meticulous about keeping the screen clean though, and I think this makes a big difference. Plus I try to mainly use the stylus...

I figure I'll have it serviced if the screen ever gets bad enough. The replacement cost, however, will likely be equivalent to a new device :/
much as i think the sofa with plastic on is a valid concern, i would highly recommend a screen protector for the n900! screen protectors increase visibility and PROTECT the only way of interacting with the touch screen.

I learnt mine the hard way when i nicked the screen using the stylus of an old winmo device, never got the same legibility back! also, resistive screens are softer and prone to more scratches than capacitive scratch resistant touchscreens.

just a heads up, because i really don't like to see anyone with a scratched screen!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thelushlife For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
I ruined a Vikuiti AMR-200, and my current one, the Clarivue Ultra-Clear is very scratched...
I ordered a cheap 6-pack on eBay, I'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted by breakthru View Post
Yes it's common with anti-glare screen protectors. You get anti-glare and trade off to some degree the brilliance of the screen. I am currently using an anti-glare screen protector as well and I'm happy with it. On a plus side I love the smooth feel of anti-glare SPs, and they're not fingerprint magnets either...
thanks for the confirmation! I have ordered a clear version of the same make as it was bubble free and easy to install. I couldn't get away with the blurryness.

@choubbi: be carefull on ebay, they are usually rubbish. Stay away from ECell too, I ordered the 3 pack, and none of them fit by a country mile! Still waiting for my refund, its been 10 days since they said 3-5 days! Good job they were cheap!

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by m165 View Post
@choubbi: be carefull on ebay, they are usually rubbish. Stay away from ECell too, I ordered the 3 pack, and none of them fit by a country mile! Still waiting for my refund, its been 10 days since they said 3-5 days! Good job they were cheap!
You're right, one has to be careful on eBay. I selected an eBay store I knew of, and bought their cheapest protection films.

I bought them from the Protectionfilms24 eBay store, got the 6 pack for less than 3€ (£2.49) shipped.
On their non-eBay store website, the 6-pack is £4.51 shipped, almost twice the eBay price.

Paypal provides good protection to the buyer, so I only use Paypal on eBay, but you always have to ship back the item you bought to get a refund (even if it's counterfeit).

Originally Posted by thelushlife View Post
much as i think the sofa with plastic on is a valid concern, i would highly recommend a screen protector for the n900! screen protectors increase visibility and PROTECT the only way of interacting with the touch screen.

I learnt mine the hard way when i nicked the screen using the stylus of an old winmo device, never got the same legibility back! also, resistive screens are softer and prone to more scratches than capacitive scratch resistant touchscreens.

just a heads up, because i really don't like to see anyone with a scratched screen!
Right... well we certainly won't be sitting on our N900s

We've had the first damp days of spring around these parts and almost immediately after committing to going bare-screen I found my stylus skipping and grinding across the soft screen

Thanks for sharing your experience with another stylus. I've been eyeing the stylus from an old ZR-5000 which is a little more pen-like.

I have a few ultra-clear Clarivue screen protectors on order. Will see how they work out...

Did anyone test the Brando screen protector ? http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've been testing the Vikuiti DQC-160 and didn't like it that much.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I have now tried three types of protectors.
  1. These UKTek clear two layer versions
    Very easy to apply, fit well and now the latest ones come with cut outs for the proximity sensor and ear speaker! They are so easy to fit with no bubbles and look very good when on.
  2. Martin fields Screen protector. Very expensive but good, but you will cry if you mess up when installing. They are also cut a little too exact as lining them up perfectly is very very difficult and the time it takes means dust ingress is a real danger.
  3. These cheapies with cut outs. They look the business and are very thin, but I found them just impossible to fit without loads of bubbles. Also as they are so thin and such an exact edge to edge fit, i found lining them up a nightmare too.

So although i like the Martin Fields protectors I will go with the UK Tek ones on my list as they are a doddle to fit and so cheap that I can change them once a month. The fitting is made so easy as they have a three layer system. you peel of the bottom layer and apply the protector, then once in place and bubble free you remove the top layer.

I also bought some cheap silicone body protectors and they are fab for the price, it is still annoying as I always have to remove cases to use my Brodit car mount. I need a case that can slot into a car holder.

Last edited by bockersjv; 2010-03-25 at 08:47. Reason: Update on UKTek protectors

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Just finished up a tedious Clarivue ultra-clear screen protector installation. Right now $10.99 USD for two protectors:

http://www.clarivue.com/nokia-n900-s...protector.html

Slightly overshot one of the corners and ended up scorching the first attempt. Second attempt successful after employing the scotch tape method of dabbing off a few annoying bubble-causing flecks.

Clarity is very good... ultra-clear as stated. Strong static bond to the screen. So far it has a nice smoothness - similar to the actual screen but a bit harder and with a little less resistance to the stylus. Recommended

The Following User Says Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:

Tags
accessories, accessory, case, gear, holster, n900, pouch, protection, screen protector