Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Why can some leaders hand out full pardon? A crime is a crime whoever doing it.
I don't think it's common in many countries. Only in those that have not kept up with the times since the end of the 18th century.

I heard the Orange Baby pardoned two turkeys named Phony Kamala and Sleepy Joe.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't think it's common in many countries. Only in those that have not kept up with the times since the end of the 18th century.
Not an historian or legal expert, but I believe that the UK does have a Royal Prerogative of Mercy, which IMO has been appropriately exercised in the absence of warranted legislative action relatively recently.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on pardon powers worldwide, which I'm actually glad I had a reason to investigate. And there are interesting links to related articles on clemency, expungement, commutation, etc.

Of course, pardoning co-conspirators to avoid personal legal jeopardy is at best suspect. But pardoning co-conspirators in the US deprives the pardonnees the opportunity to "take the Fifth," that is the right to refuse to provide testimony that might incriminate themselves. Once one has been absolved of the accused crimes, one can no longer pretend that testifying against others would subject themselves to criminal liability. If one's co-conspirator gives a person a pardon, that person can no longer claim that testifying puts themselves in legal jeopardy. (Side-eye at Michael Flynn, and probably many more in the next couple months.)

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I believe that the UK does have a Royal Prerogative of Mercy...
You may be right. You sound like more of an expert than I at any rate.

But that only confirms what I said. The UK hasn't exactly kept up with the times since the end of 18th century either

Good news, countdown-wise . . . I think. One of the big local teaching hospitals may start administering covfeve-19 vaccines to front-line staff starting Friday, assuming no glitches. Of course, glitches are not an option, but rather are standard features from the factory.

Hopefully that means the family doctor in the family -- in a slightly less risky front-line job in private practice nearby -- gets her first shot before New Years.

Counting down the days, sans Dick Clark.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Eggnog time. BYOE

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

It's Pythagorean theorem day, 12^2 +16^2 = 20^2.

Fortunately, addition is commutative, so your localized date format won't make or break your holiday! Enjoy!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Holiday 365 days = foam santa

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Countdown-wise, anyone wanna place bets on when I get my Pro 1? Will it be before or after my Xperia X dies? Some info to inform your prediction: the main camera on the Xperia has died, the touch screen only activates on every other try, and now the display requires light pressure on the bottom half to make it go from abstract art to usable after unlocking . . .

Or, will I get my vaccine or Pro 1 first? I really want both . . .

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I really want both . . .
I really applaud you for not saying 'need'

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson