Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
It's both - a standalone Accuweather app that also feeds it's information into the Events view. Similar to the Associated Press View that also can feed information to the Events view. Or the RSS Feed reader app or any 3rd-party apps that can send stuff into the feeds...
this OS needs more devices please let it HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!.

such amazing OS going to waste, get n8 put meego in it!

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
To the people that actually used the device, could you please tell us what the vkb use is like? Both portrait and landscape use...

And to all who saw the device before it got announced (especially the testers who hyped up the "never seen this before I just pissed in my pants" screen tech - you know, the ones who said we wouldn't NEED a hwkbd), could you tell us what that was all about? Please? Was something left out of the consumer device?
I used the device today. Virtual keyboard just felt very similar to iPhone4's VKB. The default VKB does not have 2-way keys (so thereis no hold to get number etc) and there is no special gestures to get uppercase by swiping up on a key etc. It was basic as it comes. By no means it was "bad", but it wasn't anything special either. I had a lot of mis-types on the N9's VKB just as I would do on Android/iPhone. (heck, Android's gingerbread VKB is much better imo)

And no, there wasn't any extra-layer touchy-feely tech.

BTW, this N9 better have Korean support. (Input also) As Nokia is the only company that doesn't seem to care about globally available Asian languages support. This is the MAIN reason why all my friends/relatives do not even think about buying a Nokia.

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-06-21 at 07:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Stop whinning ! This is just nitpicking the small points !

Just look at that beautiful UI !
Its not about whining, its like making 1 step forward
and 2 steps backward in my opinion.

I am pretty sure that many N900 users think so.
Nevertheless, I hope that the N9 will have success
as I see the efforts of the developers etc

Blues

The Following User Says Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Sure. I'm still confident that it is the best VKB implementation of any phone on the market right now, though the margins are certainly very slim.

It's a pleasure to type on it, and surprisingly I'm fastest on the portrait VKB (with two thumbs, but one thumb is convenient enough). I'm also considerably faster with it than the N900 hardware keyboard, and that after only a moderate amount of practice.

YMMV of course, but it's pure quality. The context sensitivity adds additional convenience. If you want to hack directly on the device you probably still want an external keyboard (to see all of vim, and such...), but for everything else I don't see the point.
There is a very brief sight of the on-screen keyboard in this video, at around 1:21.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ india
what is a mcro sim.? is this different from normal sim.?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
It's both - a standalone Accuweather app that also feeds it's information into the Events view. Similar to the Associated Press View that also can feed information to the Events view. Or the RSS Feed reader app or any 3rd-party apps that can send stuff into the feeds...
Hi Peter, it's been so long since we heard from you.
Will there be an Instinctiv for the n9?
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

I just love the STFU comments. Whats wrong with you people, behaving like the worst fanboy, this is a forum where people can state their opinion, good or bad.

Many people had grater expectations for this device, it might not be Nokias fault but they raised the bar quite high with the N900.
In my opinion, the N9 can't jump over that bar.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Greece
At first I was like WHAAAAA...? I CAN'T HAZ N900 v2.0?

But when the initial shock subsided and saw the first few videos, I began to warm to it, or at least suspend my doubts. A lot of what I loved on the N900 is still there: open source OS under the hood, seemingly excellent multitasking and browser.

Of course, there's a lot that left a sour taste in my mouth: no hardware keyboard, no real desktop, and a lot of missing hardware tidbits (FM transmitter, HDMI etc). It also seems less focused on power-usery, hacky stuff.

What remains to be seen is how hackable the device is. A slick UI does not preclude raw linux love, and if I can root it, hack it, and change it to my liking, if I see great open source, geeky apps in repositories, then I think I can love that phone. I have to see that UI up close and personal before I make conclusions though.

Frankly, I think that if there were no Maemo, if all we had to live by was android, ios, bb and webOS, we'd be having multiple geeky orgasms by now. I expect it to be the most hackable current OS bar none (excluding maemo of course).

The N900 has been a class of its own. Unfortunately, its awesome nerdiness means that it scarred the average customer away. If done well, a compromise between nerdiness and ease of use can make both equally correct and complete: you have a nice layer of smooth UI goodness on top, and an infinitely hackable OS chugging underneath. WebOS proved it can be done.

Edit: forgot to say, the only thing I definitely, absolutely hate with the heat of a thousand suns is the non-removable battery. Why? WHY?!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giorgosmit For This Useful Post:
Why the hell did they get rid of the desktop? I think the N900 interface with some improvements would have been perfect. I am a more conservative guy, I really hate 'innovation' where everything changes just for the sake of change.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Stop whinning ! This is just nitpicking the small points !

Just look at that beautiful UI !
Oh, I agree the UI looks beautiful.

Since when is discussing hardware nitpicking the small points, however?

My decision to buy internet tablets from Nokia has always been hardware centric (with the open source prerequisite, of course).

It's always been a question of:

- hwkbd vs. vkbd
- resistive vs. capacitive
- 1 SD slot vs. 2 SD slot
- phone vs. no phone

Now, I honestly feel (no, I haven't tested the N9 yet, and yes, I'm sure it's a faster beast than the N900) like switching to the N9 isn't really much of an upgrade. Dali, maybe - but Lankku doesn't convince me yet.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland