Active Topics

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I really appreciate the effort on this same as I do all contributions from developers, but I really don't have any need for it. My present uptime is 16 days and often goes far longer. The phone never slows down and rebooting makes zero performance difference. Maybe I'm just lucky.

But Maemo is Linux and a properly running Linux system should almost never need a reboot. So wouldn't a better approach to fixing slowdowns be to find the actual cause of any performance problems and correcting them rather than glossing them over with a Windoze-style reboot?
Same here.. have never experienced slow downs. Except an mp3-extension for Firefox. When i uninstalled it FF works fast again.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
But Maemo is Linux and a properly running Linux system should almost never need a reboot. So wouldn't a better approach to fixing slowdowns be to find the actual cause of any performance problems and correcting them rather than glossing them over with a Windoze-style reboot?
You're right, generally, however bear in mind that N900 is running nearly-full Linux stack on somewhat less powerful than regular PC hardware and only 256MB of RAM, which tends to fill up fairly quickly. Imagine installing full Ubuntu or Fedora distros on PC-class hardware equivalent to N900 - it wouldn't run very quickly without certain optimizations.

That's not an excuse, tough, as on device like this OS should *already* be optimized to run flawlessly for weeks/months without need to reboot. This is not the case, unfortunately, and there are certain flaws in place, like memory leaks that undermine the performance. There are certain tools (which I already mentioned) which help to identify these issues and once you have them on your sight, it's wise to fill in a bug report, so Nokia/Maemo developers would take a look and have the chance to fix it for the next release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ddiscodave View Post
i read thru this entire post and i have a few questions:

1 - is there a way to set this program up as a button or widget in the ui menu so that we wouldnt have to run it from xterm each time?
2-have you determined that there are indeed no side effects from running this program?
3 - how do you get 15 hours of uptime of your battery?????? i barely get 3 if i am lucky. i do have my internet connection up all the time for email retrieval and i use bluetooth all day as well so i am curious as to how you do it
My battery hold aprox 30-48h.. So you are doing something crazy when you just have 3h. I would not use bluetooth except to send files to other phones. Keep it off. If it is not important prolong the time for checking e-mail. Download BatteryGraph and test different behaviour to se what suits you and the battery best.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Same here.. have never experienced slow downs. Except an mp3-extension for Firefox. When i uninstalled it FF works fast again.
It might be (or probably is) a matter of one's own understanding of "slowness", as well as device usage patterns.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
My battery hold aprox 30-48h.. So you are doing something crazy when you just have 3h. I would not use bluetooth except to send files to other phones. Keep it off.
Surprisingly, Bluetooth doesn't make that much difference in battery life. I know that as I have it on nearly all the time (listening to music via A2DP, handsfree in car etc.) and I haven't noticed so quick battery drain as one would expect.

Thing that drains battery the most, from my personal experience, is browsing the web via 3G. My N900's battery is able to make a drop of >50% within my 1-hour-long journey on train to/from work.

Sorry for non-topic rant. :)

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
my n900 runs slow, but only when running "big-time" apps, and that i believe is normal.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
hmmm im very happy with this solution... maybe because you dont have it, it dont bothers you.. but believe me it is so annoying to wait 5 full seconds before ur system works again.. after unlocking... i was sick and tired off restarting every 3 days..

thnx for this solution !

hey guys its a great fix.
but let this just be a temporary fix cuz we need to solve the problem on a whole n not just a workaround to refresh things.
does anyone with a class 6 mmc using it as extra ram have such problems?(ie slowing down etc.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really appreciate the effort on this same as I do all contributions from developers, but I really don't have any need for it. My present uptime is 16 days and often goes far longer. The phone never slows down and rebooting makes zero performance difference. Maybe I'm just lucky.

But Maemo is Linux and a properly running Linux system should almost never need a reboot. So wouldn't a better approach to fixing slowdowns be to find the actual cause of any performance problems and correcting them rather than glossing them over with a Windoze-style reboot or restarting a slew of services and clearing caches?
CRASHDAMAGE i am right there with you man! Bravo for this great observation. I guess my question to you is, are you running a barebones system or have you installed apps that could potentially be running in the background and slowing the device down?

I, like most users, have several apps that seem to slow the device down. and i get horrendous battery life. 3 hours if i am lucky. so for me to see ppl getting 15+ hours it raises these questions in my mind.

Last edited by ddiscodave; 2010-07-22 at 15:20.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
im going to test if joikuspot will make a difference.

note that my n900 is the client, which the one who's using other device's 3G signal (my n86).

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Tags
faster, reflash, refresh, script-a-brick, sell it