Originally Posted by misterc View Post
if it is charging when powered up, it is obviously not mechanical or electrical thus cleaning the USB shouldn't make a difference.
but it is always nice to clean things
try to take out the battery for 6 to 12 hrs.
this way, the N900 will go completely blank as far as circuitry is concerned & start like a new device.
your Maemo & apps will remain safely stored even though you will have to reenter time, date & regional info.
after you put battery back in, simply connect the pwr supply & see what happens...
good luck!
Problem solved: it was software related. The device ran on Linux power user kernel when this happened so I reverted the original Nokia kernel and everything goes fine. After a while I'm back to the Linux power kernel and the problem not popped up again till now.

Hello...since last few days my n900 is not charging the battery properly...it charges on and off randomly ..it recognises the charger but refuses to charge ..can someone help me please

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ port harcourt
@ashwin...the charger might not be compatible but u can just try letting it charge for awhile or still y nt use another charger

Last edited by harry_e20000; 2012-08-15 at 09:57.

Originally Posted by harry_e20000 View Post
@ashwin...the charger might not be compatible but u can just try letting it charge for awhile or still y nt use another charger
thnxs Harry..tried everything ..tried diff chargers and also tried to charge by USB...nothing works

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Vancouver, Canada
Hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but I figured I would share my success story in case it helps anyone else.

I was having the same symptoms as OP and others for a long time, the charger would slowly start to work less and less, the plug wouldn't stay in the socket properly, I would have to fiddle with the plug to get it to start charging, and getting it to charge from a dead battery was next to impossible.

I assumed that the port was wearing out, and that I'd have to somehow swap it out, but I fixed the problem in probably the least technical way possible: I took the battery to out to prevent any short circuiting, and I stuck a needle into the port, around the USB contacts, and slid it back and forth. Lo and behold, I pull it out with more dirt and dust and lint than in my dryer's lint trap. So I do it some more, try to get as much of the stuff out as possible. Plugged the charger in, and it locks right in, charges right away, and is entirely back to normal.

So, if you're having this problem, maybe check to make sure the plug isn't full of dirt first!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autonomy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
Hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but I figured I would share my success story in case it helps anyone else.

I was having the same symptoms as OP and others for a long time, the charger would slowly start to work less and less, the plug wouldn't stay in the socket properly, I would have to fiddle with the plug to get it to start charging, and getting it to charge from a dead battery was next to impossible.

I assumed that the port was wearing out, and that I'd have to somehow swap it out, but I fixed the problem in probably the least technical way possible: I took the battery to out to prevent any short circuiting, and I stuck a needle into the port, around the USB contacts, and slid it back and forth. Lo and behold, I pull it out with more dirt and dust and lint than in my dryer's lint trap. So I do it some more, try to get as much of the stuff out as possible. Plugged the charger in, and it locks right in, charges right away, and is entirely back to normal.

So, if you're having this problem, maybe check to make sure the plug isn't full of dirt first!
you did figure yor case right and did it correct
oth much of the problems comes from dirty then exposed to moisture motherboards . Just simple cleaning ensures the longitivty of the device:
enjoy your fix !!!!!