Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/27/jo...medium=twitter

Another announcement from Jolla today is it’s adding support for Sony’s Open Devices Program — meaning developers looking to run Sailfish on additional hardware will be able to choose from certain Sony Xperia devices in future. The Xperia X will be first in line to get support, and is being demoed by Jolla running Sailfish here at MWC.

Jolla says it’s aiming to release an official version of the Sailfish OS for a range of Sony Mobile’s Xperia devices “soon”. It last released a community device of its own making, the Jolla C, back in May 2016.

“For us it’s very important that we have a solid hardware partner to offer Sailfish devices to the market,” says Saarnio. “And Sony is the perfect partner for these kind of secure devices. For us it was too much to develop our own phone in an organization that is focused on software development, so I think this is a very good move from our side in that our developers can keep a proper device for Sailfish and use that. And why not our fans as well?”
Jolla says the Chinese consortium will be aiming to invest $250M in developing a Sailfish ecosystem for the country, though it’s not specifying exactly is backing the consortia at this point, nor over what timeframe the investment will happen — beyond saying one of its early investors, a local private equity investor Shan Li, will take a “leading role” in building it up.

“What we have been talking about is starting with the security phone area, so there are corporate and government use-cases where a secure mobile operating system is needed. That’s the first use-case that we are going to start implementing [with the China consortium],” he adds. “In addition to this I would say there’s lot of potential in other areas like TV, also IoT, smartwatches, maybe smart home areas. Those are areas which we, Jolla, did not enter into those areas — because our own resources have been so limited.
Sony Xperias are going to be next Community devices!! And maybe FINALLY SFOS will be secure?

Last edited by eekkelund; 2017-02-27 at 11:21.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
"It's official, Sony Xperia X running Sailfish OS!"

https://twitter.com/JollaFr/status/836172199484620802

Hopefully that means Sony Xperia X can be bought with Sailfish already installed!

Edit: https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/836173411420356608

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Sony would be an ideal partner..

Maybe some people here will get their ideal compact device this way.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
I want Sony Compact with Sailfish or at least XA!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Sony Open Mobil rumor confirmed:
https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/836173411420356608

Xperia to be next Community device \o/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Sony Open Mobil rumor confirmed:
https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/836173411420356608

Xperia to be next Community device \o/
And notice one tweet on the page:

@JollaHQ what do you mean devices. Do we just buy one Xperia and download official SFOS on it ?

I guess we shall have to wait and see if we are to put Sailfish on the device or will they come preloaded with Sailfish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
"Jolla is aiming to release an official version of its Sailfish OS for a range of Sony Mobile’s Xperia devices"

Oh.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Q2/2017 - hopefully Sony X Dual will be supported, too, from the start.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, mwc 2017, sailfish os, sony xperia