Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
If they were just for reference within Nokia and within developer circles, that's fine.
That was about RX-51 & Rover.

But a consumer device SHOULD have cool names, or at least names. People remember names, they don't remember numbers, especially when there are literally dozens of other numbered Nokia devices on sale at the same time.
As I said I remember the numbers much better than the codenames, and if you're interested in a device you better remember how it is called. Which is also descriptive for the phone.

For example, the N9x series is the high-end Symbian eNtertainment smartphones. The N97 is the latest one in this series. The previous ones were N96 and N95.

The N8x series is the the second high-end Symbian eNtertainment smartphone series which have a candybar design, and slightly less powerful/all-round than the N9x.

It could perhaps be a subname which is used on the box and in marketing, which is what they've done with a lot of phones:

Nokia 7900 Prism
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Nokia 5500 Sport

...what could be the subname for a future Maemo device?
The combination provides choice, but I think its easier to remember (short) IDs as Nokia has done for ages. Actually, I think letter+2 numbers is far easier to remember than 4 numbers. Especially when they tend to include a lot of zeros.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I agree that a better name is easier to remember and will have more appeal.

I can still remember my first Nokia phones: the 6110, 6150, and 3210, and some of the newer ones like the E61, N95 and E71, but for some reason, I can't remember the ones in between. For those who never owned these phones, when I say '6110' you won't even know how it looks. However, when I say 'Treo', iPhone', or 'RAZR', even though each phone has several models, you automatically get an image of how the phone looks.
3210 is that very popular thingy from ages ago. I had one. When it broke I was very sad. Lovely thing for the price. iPhone I know, and example is bogus since its called iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS. N95, E71, E61 I know.

RAZR sounds like a mouse brand or something sharp, Droid sounds like this is not the Droid you're looking for Pre is not even sold here and Treo sounds like well nm... its from Palm I suppose. I think these English names is some kind of Anglo-Saxon thing. Internationally it doesn't fly, and to be frank... I find a name like 'RAZR' or 'Droid' rather childish and unprofessional. I'm glad my Nokia E71 doesn't have such pathetic name...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I think these English names is some kind of Anglo-Saxon thing. Internationally it doesn't fly, and to be frank... I find a name like 'RAZR' or 'Droid' rather childish and unprofessional. I'm glad my Nokia E71 doesn't have such pathetic name...
Agree completly with just about everything you said. Numbers are universal.

I'm pretty sure that we'll see Maemo SidekickRobot, If Maemo phone(s) ever get picked up for by american telecoms. Each to their own and everybody can be happy.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
I would like to add a couple of points to the discussion, as I support the notion that the N920 should be named, not (just) numbered:

- when I try to follow news on twitter, I have to follow 3 search keywords (n900, maemo, n920) right now.
This means that news trends are shared between 3 keywords - lessening the chance that it shows up on trending topics, or on the radar of blogs, news sites, which live from traffic.
it breaks continuity when the next maemo device shows up. The N920 will build up its fame and fortune from almost zero - unless you can convince all sites to use "n920 (next version of n900)" in their post titles.
You need to speak about the phone and the OS separately, which is complicated and long. The "N920, which runs the Maemo, Linux-based, OS." instead of "the iPhone".
The ecosystem, which needs to be built on the phone for years to succeed hurts, every time Nokia comes up with a new Maemo-based phone. All the n900blogsdotcoms need to be renamed etc. unless they picked allaboutmaemo.com style URLs. We tend to say Apple has bought the hype and all news sites to write about the iPhone - but the fact is, it is just easier to follow a winning strategy in the attention ecosystem that way.

- the name is used across the world, not just a "stupid American thing".
I rarely hear people refer to their "RIM phone", they have a "Blackberry". (I can vouch for Europe and Asia here.)
The numbering system was okay, when Nokia had a dozen phones coming out. Now they have 40 per year.
N-series is nice (have you heard many ppl referring to the N900 as N-series?), but Nokia has already 4 quite different target groups under N-Series: music, photo, flagship, flagship-maemo.
I can follow the numbering and I can tell you the difference between an 5800 and an 5530. But I rarely find anyone with the same obsession level as I do and we are talking about consumers, not just Nokia fanboys.
- the uniqueness of the N900 in the Nokia lineup (and in the whole market) is the Maemo community. Multitasking, open source, web browser will be replicated soon (Apple will copy and improve 2 of these in iPhone 4G and that will be the end of our Godphone.) This should be included in the name.

So, my suggestion is this:

Starting latest from N920, this lineup should be identified like this: Nokia Maemo 6. (Current one would be Nokia Maemo 5.)

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
Starting latest from N920, this lineup should be identified like this: Nokia Maemo 6. (Current one would be Nokia Maemo 5.)
I like the idea of a name for the model range (which could be followed by a number to pick out particular models). On reading your comment, at first I thought it would be confusing if the OS is called the same as the range, but then I suppose people already refer to the BlackBerry OS, or the iPhone OS so it would be much the same as that.

Rauha, note its not merely _numbers_ only being used as product name.

Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
This means that news trends are shared between 3 keywords - lessening the chance that it shows up on trending topics, or on the radar of blogs, news sites, which live from traffic.
N920 is not an officially confirmed name for a Nokia product so I will ignore that aspect.

Hence you have 2 keywords: Maemo is the OS (without version). N900 is the hardware. The latest stable is Maemo Fremantle is Maemo 5. We already see people writing Maemo5 instead of Maemo 5.

it breaks continuity when the next maemo device shows up. The N920 will build up its fame and fortune from almost zero - unless you can convince all sites to use "n920 (next version of n900)" in their post titles.
You are correct in the sense that there is no replacement term for 'Internet Tablet' which describes all Maemo-based devices. There is also no term which described all Maemo Fremantle-based devices except we only have 1 right now: Nokia N900.

What we used to describe Nokia N800 and Nokia N810 was (Nokia) N8x0. It writes quick and includes them both. Nokia N810WME blurs it a bit though.

Nokia 770 does not contain 'N' while Nokia N800, Nokia N810 and now Nokia N900 do contain 'N'. Nokia 770 is so out of date (OMAP1) it won't run many of the current software so it is not particularly interesting to include it.

To include all devices except 770 the following regexps would fit: Nokia N??0, Nokia N[8-9][0-1]0. Hmm I figured out a few more but none of them is 'simple enough' IMO.

The ecosystem, which needs to be built on the phone for years to succeed hurts, every time Nokia comes up with a new Maemo-based phone. All the n900blogsdotcoms need to be renamed etc. unless they picked allaboutmaemo.com style URLs.
OTOH, the information about N900 is about N900 and not about an other product. There are currently websites devoted to specific Nokia models. There are various for my current model (Nokia E71), and its useful to find information written specifically for my specific device.

We tend to say Apple has bought the hype and all news sites to write about the iPhone - but the fact is, it is just easier to follow a winning strategy in the attention ecosystem that way.
As I said, in historic reference its difficult to find what iPhone type is being discussed when information such as iPhone type or even OS is not included. If we'd discuss 'the Internet Tablet' or 'the Maemo OS' that is only valid at this very moment. When discussing on forum sometimes information is still useful years later, and when writing on wiki it is very important

the name is used across the world, not just a "stupid American thing".
Yes, but 1) iThencapitalrestlowercase is an established scheme from Apple which was popularized by iPod; not iPhone. 2) The word 'phone' is a relatively simple, common English word.

I rarely hear people refer to their "RIM phone", they have a "Blackberry". (I can vouch for Europe and Asia here.)
True, and referencing to a fruit is a Good Thing because fruits are considered healthy. However, Blackberry is not a consumer device. Its aimed at corporate users.

[INDENT]N-series is nice (have you heard many ppl referring to the N900 as N-series?)
Not required; the 'N' in 'N900' already denotes its a 'N-series'. However it may be worthwhile to underline because 'N900' is different from all previous 'N-series'. Which is denoted in it being called 'N900', not 'N98' or 'N87'. It denotes a 'new generation'. The fact its called 'N900' instead of 'N820' denotes its very much different from N800 or N810. Actually, Nokia 770 has OMAP1, Nokia N8x0 has OMAP2, and Nokia N900 has OMAP3.

but Nokia has already 4 quite different target groups under N-Series: music, photo, flagship, flagship-maemo.
N-series stands for 'eNtertainment'. It is the high-end multimedia smartphones from Nokia targeted for high-end consumer market.

I can follow the numbering and I can tell you the difference between an 5800 and an 5530. But I rarely find anyone with the same obsession level as I do and we are talking about consumers, not just Nokia fanboys.
These are not high-end. They are aimed at different market than Nokia N-series. Traditionally, if the device does not contain either E-series or N-series it is aimed at low-end market.

the uniqueness of the N900 in the Nokia lineup (and in the whole market) is the Maemo community. Multitasking, open source, web browser will be replicated soon
By Symbian?

(Apple will copy and improve 2 of these in iPhone 4G and that will be the end of our Godphone.) This should be included in the name.
The version is OS is dynamic. Selling Nokia N900 as Nokia Fremantle may undermine a planned Maemo 5.1 release.

iPhone 4G without LTE support will be weird. What Apple does after iPhone 4G is question.

Does Maemo 5.1 run on Nokia Maemo 5? Does Maemo 6 run on Nokia Maemo 5? Why not call it Nokia Fremantle?

Did you realize your compare is moot because iPhone != iPhoneOS?

I hope you've realized using names only is not a perfect solution, and neither using letters+numbers as well as name. Both have serious disadvantages and consequences.

Nokia has trademarked 'C-series' and 'X-series' recently btw. So they're up for a change using their letter+numbers scheme.

I love the alpha numeric names for the high end phones. IMO alpha numeric names attached to something just makes it a top notch thing like BMW M3, Mercedes SLK500, Ferrari F250, look at all the best cars in the world are they called chocolate, magic or some other weird name no. I think alpha numeric name just gives it a class, a top class. and I want that to be same with the next maemo device.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I love the alpha numeric names for the high end phones. IMO alpha numeric names attached to something just makes it a top notch thing like BMW M3, Mercedes SLK500, Ferrari F250, ...
However, a BMW 320 Ci is being used for years and years, while being updated.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
N920 is not an officially confirmed name for a Nokia product so I will ignore that aspect.
What I wanted to illustrate is that an N920 or something similar will be coming in latest one year, not to mention that there were some mentions of a potentially expanding lineup of Maemo-based devices.

To include all devices except 770 the following regexps would fit: Nokia N??0, Nokia N[8-9][0-1]0. Hmm I figured out a few more but none of them is 'simple enough' IMO.
Wouldn't it be more beneficial for the (potential) users, not to be required to remember Nokia's numbering system? (I'm not referring to regexp here.)

There are currently websites devoted to specific Nokia models.
You are right, probably I shouldn't have included this example :-)

If we'd discuss 'the Internet Tablet' or 'the Maemo OS' that is only valid at this very moment. When discussing on forum sometimes information is still useful years later, and when writing on wiki it is very important.
IMHO, using a name as part of the product name does not prevent correct referencing of the hw or OS version in a forum.

However, Blackberry is not a consumer device. Its aimed at corporate users.
I'm not sure, what to do with this response. BB is increasingly NOT a corporate toy (in Asia it is called the best Facebook device and is extremely popular under 30).

N-series stands for 'eNtertainment'. It is the high-end multimedia smartphones from Nokia targeted for high-end consumer market.
I believe originally it stood for New ;-)

These are not high-end. They are aimed at different market than Nokia N-series. Traditionally, if the device does not contain either E-series or N-series it is aimed at low-end market.
thanks, I'm familiar with the Nokia naming conventions in the last 13 years.

The version is OS is dynamic. Selling Nokia N900 as Nokia Fremantle may undermine a planned Maemo 5.1 release.

Does Maemo 5.1 run on Nokia Maemo 5? Does Maemo 6 run on Nokia Maemo 5? Why not call it Nokia Fremantle?

Did you realize your compare is moot because iPhone != iPhoneOS?
I did not say, that it should be Maemo 5 or 6, because of the OS version.

I hope you've realized using names only is not a perfect solution, and neither using letters+numbers as well as name. Both have serious disadvantages and consequences.
My suggestion contained both name and number.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I think Maemo needs a sub-brand of its own to reflect its highest-end hardware. This is what Nseries was when it started, but it got spoilt by less-than-cutting-edge hardware creeping into the range.
Nokia's luxury brand is called Vertu. (The models don't even mention Nokia anywhere.)

Maemo is about a different kind of luxury for another type of people, so how about... Nertu, or Nerdu? Apply some heavy metal umlauts for extra coolness and... Nerdü!

Rock ön!