Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Don't you know real-time multiplexing when you see it?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Redundancy is a good thing... especially if one fails in mid-presentation.

Yes, redundancy is a good thing.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Don't you know real-time multiplexing when you see it?

Obviously OPK doesn't.

Originally Posted by zerojay
Redundancy is a good thing... especially if one fails in mid-presentation.
Odd, I've never seen Steve Jobs using that particular kluge.
Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad had the microphones not been bigger than his damn nose and look oddly placed.
Perhaps next time he should wear a black shirt or tie.
Or a black mock turtleneck.

Maybe OPK has been taking tips from these guys:

Although the iBook demo went flawlessly, Apple’s software demos did not. Vice President Phil Schiller started off his QuickTime demo by gushing over how well-received the new QuickTime Player was. Apparently, he did not read the criticisms of its horrendous interface in this column or the iArchitect Web site. Or maybe he lives in a reality distortion field. In any case, there’s no denying that Schiller was having trouble with the QuickTime Player’s interface. He always wanted to maximize the window size for playing a movie. Then, he needed to open the favorites drawer to select the next movie, however this required resizing and moving the window so that there would be room to open the drawer. What a great example of user interface chunkiness. When Mac OS 9 arrives in October, we’ll find the QuickTime interface plastered onto Sherlock II, which despite his saying so, apparently does not support natural language queries to Web sites. Other than that, however, it looks pretty darned cool.

Another interface gaffe happened when Jobs was doing a demo with Internet Explorer. He closed the browser window and then could not figure out how to make a new one. Like most beginning Mac users, he seemed to think that he had quit Internet Explorer, so he went to the Finder and reopened it. Since IE 4.5 does not support the reopen AppleEvent, this just switched back to IE without opening a new window. Some members of the audience shouted helpful suggestions, but Jobs apparently wasn’t listening. Sure, many people get confused by this behavior, but I never expected the iCEO to be one of them.
http://www.atpm.com/5.08/paradigm.shtml

heh. The emperor has no clothes!

Maybe OPK has been taking tips from these guys:

http://www.atpm.com/5.08/paradigm.shtml

heh. The emperor has no clothes!
You do know this was YEARS ago? At least try to cite some more recent events.
Have you seen a major gaffe at an Apple event in the past two years?
And by major I mean "showstopping". Like the ones good ol' Bill G used to do.
If Nokia's going to start competing with Apple in the music download services category then they need to up their presentation game. Hard.
Grab one guy who isn't afraid to speak in front of crowds and has "presence" and make that yahoo the new face of Nokia. Keep your CEOs, CFOs, VPs, etc. all behind the curtain otherwise they're going to start making Sony-style off-the-cuff-comment mistakes and pissing off potential customers.
I've already seen where Nokia has started pissing off potential customers at the recent London launch event where the music guy was telling AAS that since everyone uses Windows that their music store will ONLY work with Internet Explorer. Hello? WTF? Someone isn't up to snuff on the internet browsers used today. Firefox has a damn nice share now, with Safari/Camino on the Mac right behind it and then there's all those Opera (as in "Opera on Nokia phones") clients out there.
What a phucktard. He needs a jimmy-kick too.
I swear I should start selling "Nokia needs a kick in the jimmy" t-shirts.

Actually it's relevant for a couple of reasons:

1) the implicit allegations of Apple infallibility strewn throughout the iPod/iPhone dialogs;

2) with regards to common business aspects, Nokia is now where Apple was then. So surely we can expect the same sort of gaffes.

Plus I thought it was just ironically funny.

Seriously, though-- doesn't it show that companies can learn?

Actually it's relevant for a couple of reasons:

1) the implicit allegations of Apple infallibility strewn throughout the iPod/iPhone dialogs;

2) with regards to common business aspects, Nokia is now where Apple was then. So surely we can expect the same sort of gaffes.

Plus I thought it was just ironically funny.

Seriously, though-- doesn't it show that companies can learn?
Learn what? How to put the most internet-clueless person in charge of their brand new music store?
They've got that move down to a art form.
I love Nokia phones and some of their other devices but I'll never be buying any music from them since I'm on a Macbook Pro and use Camino(Firefox) and Safari.
Sad considering that most Nokia phones sync up with Macs easier and without having to install any software when compared to Windows XP/Vista.

Eh, everyone's a critic.

I have to be optimistic. If certain gambles fail, I'm out a really nice job and sucking your tax dollars away for as I long as I can. You don't want THAT, do you???

Eh, everyone's a critic.

I have to be optimistic. If certain gambles fail, I'm out a really nice job and sucking your tax dollars away for as I long as I can. You don't want THAT, do you???
Why not, the welfare kings and queens popping out a new kid every 9 months to increase their "dole" are doing it.
Besides, I spend a schitt-ton of taxpayer dollars (think "millions") on new projects every year.
And oddly enough, when I travel to war zones I'm the only one there that STILL has to pay taxes.
Everyone else doesn't.
So, by all means kick Nokia in the jimmy and get in line at the unemployment office.