I have had this phone now for almost a month. I couldnt be much happier with it. Its the best phone/computer combo on the market imo!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'm a little confused by this... "Google" does not 'provide' all of the apps in the Android Market... third party developers and coders do it..

And very few people I would imagine don't install at least something from the App market to increase the functionality of their phone?

So what exactly is the cut and dry line between what Google and Nokia should provide.. and what it's ok for Non-Google or Non-Nokia developers to provide?

I mean.. if the functionality is obtainable from somewhere... then the "phone" can do it...

Yes, but If coders loose interest, then you have nothing. I find great that people could participate and create super power full apps (or port them, like midnight commader) but a company can not say "Ok, here is my new device, it has no MMS support, but be calm, someone while do it and will put it in extras-devel, you can beta test it any time you want. Have fun".

Originally Posted by dhcmega View Post
...I think that Nokia should and must provide all the apps needed. At the release moment or later at least.
I donīt recall to see other smartphone doing 30 apps at the same time. ...Regardless of my disappoint in many aspects I am truly happy with an open source phone being released.
As stated, its usually not the case where the company that produces the phone, produces the majority of the apps it uses. Whether there are missing features "that you would like to see", which should be implemented by Nokia, well, that's between you and Nokia.

As far as running multiple apps, and slowing the n900, there is this video, and several others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7emvUBpEkbU

Sorry that you're dissapointed. I was hard pressed to find a device, with the 900's form factor, which has as much, or more "functionality", despite its lack of "features".

Originally Posted by xxMurdakillxx View Post
Apple: Had an iphone when it first released not much avalible...it wasnt until the second version of the phone until we could add things and major bugs worked out. This is normal.

Android: I dont remember many apps coming out until atleast six months into the platforms launch but still after a couple updates and a little time Android became stable enough to compete with other mobile phone operating systems. Then once the platform started rolling google introduced many first party apps other than the included gmail, maps, and browser.

Maemo: Many like to argue that there are many apps that can be ported over to the n900 which in my opinion still takes time but given the fact that previous operating systems have taken months to introduce apps and Maemo 5 still quite new it wont be long before we start seeing a boost in apps and bug fixes especiallu when some simply require expert optimizations.

Why so greedy? and who said that?: Many people speculate things simply because Nokia doesnt directly tell us thier plans. Not to point out any particulars but how many times have we heard someone say, "well it doesnt support this"...yeah at the moment...is it impossible? Not at all...matter fact this is the last phone I would say an app or well written code couldnt do...just being honest. Anything this phone is incapable of doing quite obvious before purchase(ex. At&t 3g). Other than that if you made it to these forums to complain....you should have made it to these forums before you ordered or bought the phone.

!!!! One first party update last month: This is what gets me the most. This phone has only been updated once...many of us couldnt get our hands on the phone till around December of you had it longer great. If you really want to decide on the n900 i suggest we give the phone atleast 2 updates from Nokia.

I understand what you say, but as a big fun of Nokia (eventhough it may looks like the oposite) I expect no less than what I use to get. This is not the case with Android from a Company with a diferent background from Nokia.
And iPhone have revolutionate the UI of cellphones and with a completly different market target. People that get iPhone is going after a nice UI I guess, I they get it.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
Its more lazy than boring, Nokia took the step to embrace the development community to do their basic work for them. Unlike apple that had a basic phone that worked and expansions were done by the development community. Nokia has rushed out for christmas a laggy, badly thought out expensive techy gadget and then hope the community will fill in the holes to make it compete with Apple.
wtf?

apple doesn't provide basic phone features like MMS, but in the apple world, that's an "expansion"??? come on...

yes, the N900 has it's flaws, but the fact that you CAN change that by writing community supported software is now a bad thing??

apple leaves features out, doesn't give you the ability to fix them, so they are expansions.
nokia leaves features out, gives you full access to the device and it's software components, and they're called "lazy"...

i'm wondering how many of these whiners are on the fruit's payroll...

What is it with people who buy this device then come here to whine about it instead of just returning it?

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Yes, I have assumed that this device will cover my cell phone needs, as the N95 mostly did.
Then why did you buy it? It's clearly your own fault then. Or do you always buy expensive things you don't know anything or very little about? Maybe Nokia should sell the N900 with a huge stamp tagged "NO MMS and Sim Toolkit", so that guys like you won't have to rant all day long and bother others. You clearly don't understand how special the N900 is.

I'm delighted by the N900, but did research beforehand to decide what device I wanted.

I actually don't use my "phone" to make many calls - it's mostly data - web browsing, IM, some VoIP calls, some music/internet radio, photos, gps tracking,and I'm quite experienced on linux. I also expect to be able to identify/debug/report problems but don't like to "follow the crowd". I'm also an opensource fan.

So nothing met that requirement like the n900. Both the iPhone, and IMO Nexus One are really good phones and I did seriously consider the N1, but it's just not in the same league **FOR MY USAGE**

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
wtf?

apple doesn't provide basic phone features like MMS, but in the apple world, that's an "expansion"??? come on...

yes, the N900 has it's flaws, but the fact that you CAN change that by writing community supported software is now a bad thing??

apple leaves features out, doesn't give you the ability to fix them, so they are expansions.
nokia leaves features out, gives you full access to the device and it's software components, and they're called "lazy"...

i'm wondering how many of these whiners are on the fruit's payroll...

That is why I am a Nokiaīs fun and not an iPhoneīs fun.
I donīt even like iPhones.
The fact that maemo is open source is great news (I work with ubuntu and debian, so I like open source software) and being Nokia the one that it is using it itīs even better.
But the fact that it is open source does not mean that responsability of developing these missing things should be on everybody else.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
But the fact that it is open source does not mean that responsability of developing these missing things should be on everybody else.
of course not.

but leaving features out has nothing to do with nokia or open source. when you build a device and accompanying software, you have to make compromises. everyone does.

what makes me angry are double standards like the one i quoted. i can't for the life of me figure out how nokia are "lazy", but apple are not, when leaving out features.

Tags
it's not a phone!!!, nokia makes me sad, opinions