Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
My take on this (obviously not the consensus) is that the maemo os development community is too transient to force into a traditional debian/ubuntu maintainer structure.
I'll grant that. But it looks to me like the wrong reaction to that has taken place. Rather than analyze that and get down to root cause, we throw up our hands and say, "okay, the community is disorganized, so we need a disorganized solution to project management!"

I'm sorry, but I still take the other tack-- I see this as an educational challenge more than anything. I was half-joking with the suggestion of a developer school, but in all seriousness that's close to the solution zone I think we *should* be going toward.

The community is transient? Fine-- but instead of working around that, why not drill down a bit deeper and explore why that is-- and effect a REAL solution?

And, dammit-- why am I still arguing this?

well, for some it will be easier to post it here, because the frequent the forums, it should be easy for some sync-ing of the new and maemo.org
and the ones whoe wouldn't anyways, probably have their own repo, and are adamant about it, so most things wouldnt change their mind anyways
but you could always have a itT user account and upload all the things loaded here, to maemo.com under a general itT account, though there are obviously problems with that, the point is, to me at least, is that this here is a good thing

My take on this (obviously not the consensus) is that the maemo os development community is too transient to force into a traditional debian/ubuntu maintainer structure.

A large portion of Maemo software is pretty much homebrew and ports. Forcing Maemo.org actually damages the homebrew aspect of it... mostly since its a broken website (akamai + midguard cms apparently do not mix). Perhaps ITT software could better enable this homebrew aspect.
Okay, Midgard may suck, but that doesn't make it unapproachable to "homebrew". There is really very little "management" that you have to (or are even able to do) with Maemo Downloads. It is not a project management website like Maemo Garage is. You don't have to suffer much Midgard to get your software on the Maemo Downloads site, and it's certainly no excuse for a small-time developer to avoid it.

Additionally (and probably unpopularly) i think relying -solely- on repos hurts tablets. I think whenever possible, tablet developers should make some attempt to release a version which statically links any necessary libraries so that there is no dependency hell. This is done for desktop users with thumbdrives such as those here http://portableapps.com/
Okay - Maemo Downloads doesn't prevent this, and neither does the Garage.

I vote that Reggie starts up his own repo, and provide a simple and logical means to publish to it, instead of the beaurocracy that is submitting to maemo extras. (Honestly do we really need a sign our packages for a tablet which ships with 256meg filesystem?) One reggie repo would be better than 10 or so independent repos, would it not? Of course that implies alot of potential bandwidth which may not be wanted.
What "beaurocracy"? And Maemo Downloads doesn't require signing debs - are you thinking of the Garage? Remember, they are two completely separate systems. Maemo Downloads requires very little of its contributors besides having to put up with Midgard. Garage requires a bit more.

I can understand a developer not wanting to deal with Maemo Garage - there are better project management websites out there. But there is no excuse to avoid Maemo Downloads unless your software is not ready for primetime.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks for that last post, gnuite, and I can see that my posts should have also made those distinctions.

Why didn't Reggie bother to talk this out with the community and the Maemo devs to come up with the best solution? Instead of getting something useful out of it that helps everybody, we've got this nonsense.

GTFO, KTHXBAI

Last edited by Navi; 2008-05-21 at 04:04.

Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Why didn't Reggie bother to talk this out with the community and the Maemo devs to come up with the best solution? Instead of getting something useful out of it that helps everybody, we've got this nonsense.

GTFO, KTHXBAI
Is there a "No thanks" button on these forums?

Actually, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, Navi, but in case you aren't: yours is a completely non-constructive attitude to take. Reggie was just trying to help. Some of the rest of us are just providing some constructive (I hope) criticism - that's how public-domain collaborations improve.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Yes, I'm attacking both Reggie and his actions.
No need for that.

And of course, there's no reason to delete that specific post and only quote that part of it. There are plenty of other posts you can hunt down, give me infraction points for, and delete too, y'know.

Like I was saying in the post that was deleted, but less "personal attacky" than it already was (which wasn't very much, I might add),
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Is there a "No thanks" button on these forums?

[...]yours is a completely non-constructive attitude to take. Reggie was just trying to help. Some of the rest of us are just providing some constructive (I hope) criticism[...]
If there was, I'd be in the negatives.

Unfortunately, a bulk of the positive criticisms are being ignored. What are we to do when we can only go absolutely nowhere? I'll gladly acknowledge the good intentions as soon as we have some real feedback on the feedback.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Quim made a very pointed post on maemo-developers that echoes my sentiments almost exactly:
Reggie, in my *personal* opinion you are pointing to the right direction with the wrong munition.
Anyway, the maemo.org and ITT communities can figure out the details but it is clear that nobody is interested in harming the neighbor project , stress the already busy developers and confuse the probably already disoriented end users.

I guess there's nothing more to say. I hope something good comes out of this...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post: