Active Topics

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Cape Town, South Africa
Originally Posted by fraaaaanka View Post
so glad i created this post ..... just reflashed and needed to re-add reboot button and would never have remembered how i did it!!!!!

can i add 'thanks' to myself?????
Probably not. but I can do it for you! how many thanks would you like? 10? 20? :-)

Dealing with all these Linux-Clevers has been my problem for a long time. People just assume that we n00bs can understand all the gobble-de-gook code and text editor speak. I gave up on Ubuntu on my laptop for just this reason, when I was trying to get people on the forums to help me fix problems but the instructions were just so advanced and my knowledge so basic that I ended up making everything worse. Ended up going back to Windows which I'd left in disgust.
So thanks a million for coming back and spelling your findings out for the rest of us wannabe geeks. I feel inspired to do the same in future.

The Following User Says Thank You to doonit For This Useful Post:
with leafpad you can do a cut and paste just like in notepad just highlight line then ctrl-x$ and ctrl-v (paste) to new line

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Florida
First off let me say that I love your post. It helped this noob put a "reboot" button on my n900 and I've used it since the post was written without any problems at all. Recently however, my reboot button has stopped working. Once pressed, the phone does the usual shutdown process, however, unlike normal, the phone does not turn back on by itself. I have to press and hold the power key to turn it back on...??? I have gone back through your post and found that the files that were changed in order to create the "reboot" button are still edited properly according to your post, so I cannot understand why my n900 literally just decided to stop rebooting all of a sudden. Any and all help with this would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
This is just a thought and may not help. But run the following command in X Terminal:
Code:
cat /var/lib/dsme/boot_count
I remember that I read somewhere in this forum that if the number returned by that output reaches too high the phone won't boot anymore. Maybe this is not true anymore. Anyways that should be set back to zero when you shutdown the phone the normal way.

I have not had any problems with the reboot button at all.

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by rooster13 View Post
This is just a thought and may not help. But run the following command in X Terminal:
Code:
cat /var/lib/dsme/boot_count
I remember that I read somewhere in this forum that if the number returned by that output reaches too high the phone won't boot anymore. Maybe this is not true anymore. Anyways that should be set back to zero when you shutdown the phone the normal way.

I have not had any problems with the reboot button at all.
well i just checked and I have 28 ..... im pretty sure i have rebooted more than 28 times??

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Every time u reboot the reboot count is added by 3.
goViihde, an Elisa Viihde client for N9
Shortcut Stash Home Screen Widget

Originally Posted by fraaaaanka View Post
Hi brog, i think codemonkey is correct.
im really sorry but i dont know how you use the copy you made to restore your original?

what i will do though is if you create screenshots of the whole text file from top to bottom i will compare it to mine on my N900 and let you know where the differences are.

perhaps this is where this leafpad program could come in useful
Wow! I was able to add reboot button in second attempt; after restoring original systemui. Thanks Keep it up.

One more question: Can we rename the Reboot button to show as Restart ?

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland

you can add icons there too
info in the 'mods' thread somewhere:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=share+mods

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
many thanks. let me check the link.