Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Python will be part of future Nokia Internet Tablet operating systems.
I did not here of this until now. That after visiting the N series development site several times.
Python is very much supported by Nokia.
This is really good to hear as it is, in my opinion, a better platform than Java for small devices.

Note that I'm rather new to the N series. I've only taken an interest lately due to the iPhone and similar devices that are pocket portable. Not commitments have been made yet, the N810 certainly doesn't inspire*, but I'm hoping to see the right product on the market soon.

The saddest part about the N810 is the puny flash store on the device. I just can't comprehend the management decision that went into that.

Dave

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Wizard69 View Post
I'm not the least bit concerned about 4:3 material. The reality is that by the time the N900 is released 4:3 sources will be dying out. I'm thinking more about a platform for the future than something to support the past. Next year should see the cessation of 4:3 television sales and the transition to HD only sets. This is really just being forward looking.
New 4:3 sources may be dying out (not really, there's still a ton of it around), but old sources aren't suddenly going to change as HD becomes more popular, and I'd like to be able to watch those old things comfortably.

Huge maybe but the standard for many devices including professional photography hardware.
Be that as it may, you're not being realistic. Look at the dimensions:

SD—32mm x 24mm x 2mm
CF-Type I—43mm x 36mm x 3.3mm

That's more than 30% larger overall. For a device which can barely take MiniSD, it's incredibly misguided to think that it would be able to handle a CF card without a major increase in overall size (bad). This, is a bad idea.

Have to look that one up. If it can better manage power and still deliver a significant boost in performance I'm all for it.
Yes and yes.

Not really that huge. Certainly worth any trade off one might have to consider space wise. If you don't like compact flash this is a good alternative as it would allow driving common off the shelf CF adapters. Not to mention the large number of other USB ports available.
But it is huge, especially for a mobile device. MiniUSB is about a 70% space savings over full-A USB and MicroUSB another 50% off of that. Again, your understanding of size constraints in mobile devices seems to be flawed. Just get yourself some USB devices that support USB OTG and the right kind of cables. You'll be set.

Then go buy a PSP!! Really this is a poor argument as most people aren't buying N series devices for use as game machines.
The number of games available for the platform would beg to differ. I don't want a PSP, it doesn't do the things I need it to do—it does one thing well, games, and I'm not interested in carrying around a single-function device like that. I don't see why we should have functionality crippled for the sake of a full-faced screen.

The whole idea here though is to provide space for a 16:9 screen. Of course we want to keep the device manageable size wise.
Then keep the screen ratio the way it is and leave me with my d-pad.

Err NO! It certainly is a bigger item then many here but is not impossible with current technology. With the right processor much of the "radio" can be done in software.
Uh, you still need something to bring down that frequency. This is a bad idea for a lot of reasons, not only because nobody uses shortwave.

All depends on how important atmospheric conditions are to you.
That's what the internet is for, and if those conditions are really that important to you, maybe you should just buy yourself a digital weather device of some kind, because I know highly-variable atmospheric reading from my IT are at about the bottom of my list of "needed features".

Well going solar is quite! A wide range voltage input just makes it easier to connect up such devices.
And a decent solar device should have some sort of standard plug you can hook into.

Yes but the problem is that cameras simply are not permitted in some places. That is a big issue. The other issue is that the cameras are hardly that inspiring quality wise.
Which would be where an E-series IT would come in, but I suspect that that's a ways off (if it ever comes).

Would be nice:

1GB ram (maybe 512mb)
16Gb Flash Drive
Full skype and Msn support
Higher res screen
Change of design..... maybe something different for nokia.
Jar file support
Wifi range extended (great for chilling in the garden at summer time)
The option to install different OS, ubuntu for example.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I'd prefer the dpad to remain on the keypad portion of the device:

1) I think that the dpad is a useful input mechanism for _casual use_, but can be circumvented entirely by sound software-interface design decisions.

2) If the screen is to enlarge (which it likely will) a dpad takes up valuable face real-estate.

3) For advanced/alternate input, the sliding keypad + dpad, is ideal (IMO, of course). This can be modified to include touch-typing and game input.

I think Nokia hit it right on the head with the new N810 form.

}:^)~
YARR!!

Ciggidy-Capt'n Corrupt

You know, I was thinking. What about a device that incorporates a sliding and folding keyboard. I guess I'm picturing a thin keyboard like the stowaways with two hinges that fold in towards center, and then slides in underneath the screen. The d-pad would have to go back on the front, as well as some other buttons, but it would be great to have a full keyboard for when writing long emails and then use the onscreen keyboard for all the short material.

Just throwing the idea out there.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
You know, I was thinking. What about a device that incorporates a sliding and folding keyboard. I guess I'm picturing a thin keyboard like the stowaways with two hinges that fold in towards center, and then slides in underneath the screen. The d-pad would have to go back on the front, as well as some other buttons, but it would be great to have a full keyboard for when writing long emails and then use the onscreen keyboard for all the short material.

Just throwing the idea out there.
A folding full size keyboard in an IT sized device has been done.

There's a korean wibro product that does it. I'm not interested ... I'd rather have a bluetooth keyboard for full speed typing, and a thumb keyboard built into the device for on-the-go typing.

Let me see if I can dig up a reference to the korean one...

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2

The keyboard folds in half, and then folds behind the screen.

Yeah, I think I'd probably prefer the thumb keyboard as well, but it was just an idea I had (that I thought was original).

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Like you all I scroll a lot on the NIT. Therefore I would highly appreciate a scrollwheel (as the Pepperpad 3 has).

And the camera should be a plug and play add-on because I work at places where cameras are not welcome. Also, a pluggable camera could be used for video conferences, but then replugged 180 degrees rotated to take pictures. And one could buy a better one to take better pictures / videos. Archos has these add-on video cams.

Last edited by gammer; 2007-10-29 at 09:44.

Re the discussion about CF cards: CF really isn't the most cost-effective anymore. SD has taken over that role. It's also approaching 32GB, and the latest SLR digital cameras I looked at all had an SD slot in addition to CF.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Hardware as http://www.wibrain.com/ is what I would like to see from Nokia. Plus Maemo and the invaluable always-on we already have, of course. Check the specs page!

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist