I started a thread in the new Nokia N810 forum for you guys to post questions about the N810. I should be meeting the Nokia folks in a little while so post asap:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=10628

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Such a shame Nokia only get one chance a year to get the design right, perhaps in another 12 months they'll have hired a designer with a clue (tip: headhunt someone from Apple).
No, Apple is the last company you want designers from... unless you happen to like needing to return the entire device to replace a battery, completely closed-source operating systems and CPU power wasted on looking pretty when it could be used for functionality instead.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You guys will be very surprised at the weight of the N810.

Oh, and to an extent I agree with Mil: it should have been an E810. But even with that, I find no fatal flaws in the design. It is sleek, simple and effective. I like the flush buttons... very smooth face now.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I think it is.... check this image of the e90.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

They look extremely similiar.

Hope it is true... then it is really great!!
Yep, looks about right. I'm liking this device more already...
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Becuase it has a keyboard in it.
The iPhone makes the N800 look fat and overweight. The iPod Touch even more so. The N810 with it's keyboard only makes the disparity even more obvious.

Apple have been able to design slim and light hardware that is not overly disimilar in specification to that of the N800. Not since the 770 have Nokia achieved this, and I appreciate that Apple achieve some of their slimness and lightness of weight by compromising with a non-replaceable battery but that can only save them a few grams and perhaps a couple of millimetres, not enough to explain the differences between an iPhone and a N800/N810.

Nokia don't seem to be investing the time and money in aesthetic or hardware design as far as NITs are concerned - if they are, they're not getting value for money.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
No matter what Nokia comes out with. No. Matter. What.

... the monkeys will descend from the trees hopping and chittering about it. "OOo ugly!" "No I'm smarter! I would have put THIS, THERE!" "No I'm smarter, see THAT feature means i can't do THIS now!" "Nooooo I'm smarter, i think it's ugly!"

eeep! eep! reeeech! hu-ooh-oo-huhu!
Too true. This is not a case of just miniaturizing the electronics to make teh device smaller/lighter. This part was easy as far as GPS.

You're adding an entire physical component that in itself must be a minimum size to be functional (keyboard). With this, there are dilemmas.

A clamshell style would in theory block the touchscreen from being functional when the keyboard was not needed.

Chiclet style keys would seriously increase the overall size of the device.

I think both of these options would have offered increased ease of use and comfort.

I like the design myself looks wise, but also question how easy it will be to type on. If I am sitting on the couch, how easy will it be to balance the device while thumb typing? If it is on a table or desk, how easy is it going to be to see the screen?

I am anxious to see the specs, and look forward to at least a dozen posts in this thread by the Apple bots.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Well, I agree that moving the D-Pad was probably a bad idea, but will have to see. I don't use it that much anyway. The keyboard looks great. I've not tried a Tytn2 but I loved the thumbpad on the original Tytn. Very fast and accurate, great for short emails, sms and IM. If I wanted to type at a table, I'd use a BT keyboard.

I'll definitely get one when I've got some spare money, although a transflective screen would sell it for me immediately.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
No matter what Nokia comes out with. No. Matter. What.

... the monkeys will descend from the trees hopping and chittering about it.
Are you surprised? It's what people do. Especially when all folks have so far are a handful of images.

Years after the move from Mac OS Classic to X, long blog posts are still being pounded out, seeking to remind the world of wonderful old features that didn't survive the transition. On the other side, it's hard to not come across rants about features--both present and missing--in Vista. Back when Palm was, well, relevant, forums exploded upon the release of every device that didn't include a voice memo function. Newton users demand to know why every new handheld device isn't a Newton. And Engadget runs a "how would you change the..." article for every popular, shiny, new toy.

I think you should brace yourself for a lot of it around here in the near future.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2007-10-17 at 13:39.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
What's the small hole on top of the camera ? Autofocus ? small flash ?

I have a BT GPS so I don't mind about the integrated one, and I can live without the slide keyboard, so I am happy I can still live with my N800.
What I want to see now is the new firmware

And from the Skype picture I only see "make calls" and not "make video calls" or something similar, so I think it should have the very same hardware as the N800.

Also I see a "play" button on the bottom side of the tablet.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The iPhone makes the N800 look fat and overweight. The iPod Touch even more so. The N810 with it's keyboard only makes the disparity even more obvious.

Apple have been able to design slim and light hardware that is not overly disimilar in specification to that of the N800. Not since the 770 have Nokia achieved this, and I appreciate that Apple achieve some of their slimness and lightness of weight by compromising with a non-replaceable battery but that can only save them a few grams and perhaps a couple of millimetres, not enough to explain the differences between an iPhone and a N800/N810.

Nokia don't seem to be investing the time and money in aesthetic or hardware design as far as NITs are concerned - if they are, they're not getting value for money.
Again, they are not the same type of devices. They are not intended to be. And do keep in mind that the iPhone and iPods do not have hardware keyboards.

And Mil, with all due respect: you're expressing your opinion of style. Just as some love the 770 and despise the looks of the N800 (I feel the opposite). My *opinion* is that the styling of the N810 is fine. I'm not sure what else some people want style-wise. Different color(s)? Fancy graphics? Lights? What? Instead of vague bashing, why not describe specific ways that the looks could have been done better?