Poll: Will you buy the meego phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the meego phone?

why must it have a dual core cpu? DO you have a lot of threaded number crunching in mind?

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
why must it have a dual core cpu? DO you have a lot of threaded number crunching in mind?
A flagship device cannot have anything less in 2011.
Just look what was released from LG, Samsung, HTC in Barcelona WMC this week.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The overall problem is not Meego development it is Nokia simply because of their track record.

If ANY other company were or are to bring us Meego people would have a lot more confidence and buy, this will never happen now for Nokia because of the way they have treated people.

Nokia have done themselves untold damage now and nothing short of a miracle will put it right.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
would you pay last year hardware device the same price as this year device?

Having more processing and RAM and internal memory will help and goes along way than having a last year hardware and insufficient RAM to do anything this year or next. High end now will be mid end next year. Better oportunity to keep the device live longer whether it's NiTdroid or other OS port, it will be enough to take advantage of the overpowered hardware

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by longcat View Post
design of palm/hp devices is crap
I agree, and the form factor sucks. Besides, Bada is so much better than WebOS and has sold more than 7 millions since june last year. The WebOS is what? 200k in total over several years?

The next thing to burn is certainly WebOS for thee n'th time.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
i just saw windows 7 on a phone and i have to say, its so ****ing boring. it has about 0 things that make me exited. Its just a waste of time. With my N900, i could do something else every day if i want, with a windows 7 phone, i feel like i am going to sell the **** again after 10 minutes.

alcalde you got it right - thats exactly what I was getting at

What is that saying again ?

"Those who can do, do. Those who cannot do, teach/criticize"

anyone who has worked in a big corporation (even at low levels like the help desk) knows that there is always a very vocal minority who are holier then thou idealogues - doing what these guys say is usually a disaster in the making

add to the fact that the most successful companies so far in this segment do NOT follow just follow community - its almost the height of arrogance to assume you know more then say, Steve Jobs etc when he is the one who has executed successfully and you have done nothing.

This is not to say your approach wont work or does not have merit, but to automatically dismiss other approaches which have shown success shows immense bias (i.e. you are not arguing for the best approach for success, you are arguing a POV because you are invested in an ideology.)

Oh well, this is an Internet Forum and most are just BSing anyway - but do try to keep things more objective - otherwise its just iFanboy style ranting but on the opposite side.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Banstead UK
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If Nokia releases a Meego phone that can compete with iOs and Android.. it will sell.

The tech blogs will rave about it, word of mouth will spread and it will sell like crazy...

But to sell like crazy (mass market), it has to
- UI has to be buttery smooth
- the maps app like has be as good as google maps (smooth UI, 95% accuracy in search results)
- out of box apps, facebook, youtube, email, twitter, internet radio have to polished
- dev support out of the gate, docs and apps to write apps from windows, linux, mac

If its none of the above, it becomes plainly obvious why Elop had to make the swtch (i.e Nokia engineering first (who cares about usability) culture simply cannot be changed)
I agree the product has to be good. Personally I think it should have the kind of hardware that truely costs £400+ to have any chance of have the kind of improvements that would make it a success. I really hope the Nokia people can for this solution get the CEO and board to take notice.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Banstead UK
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
No way I'm going to spend another couple of hundred Euros just for the sake of proving some CEO of a multi-billion-company wrong. Not going to happen.

I will continue to enjoy my N900 as long as it lasts and after that, I'll buy whatever decent phone comes across.

Mind you: this is not the end of the world.
LOL mosdef on that but if Nokia by some miracle put out a compeling device wouldn't you buy it to vote with your feet in the process. Remember if the numbers don't add up then Nokia will drop the Meego Maemo project like a hot potato. I think if you care about the platform then if the conditionds are right then buying the device is as strong a statement as one can make.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If Meego succeeds it will now be a disaster for Nokia. Nokia has officially announced that Meego is a research toy and Nokia is going in another direction. I think that anyone who favors Meego should assume a hostile intention whenever Nokia approaches. True, Meego has a brief window of opportunity, but getting away from Nokia will soon be its only chance. Any real success by Meego amounts to a statement that Nokia are fools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
elopcalypse, f*ck whitey