After installed harmattan dev repo , do I need to restart the phone to have the repo enabled . I couldn't get sqlite3 yesterday after successfully installed the repo . But today , I got sqlite3 without problem . i don't understand

Originally Posted by billranton View Post
first of all we need to create xml files to declare the provider and service to the system. These are stored in /usr/share/accounts/. I copied the skype ones and changed them. Here's my msn ones as an example:

/usr/share/accounts/providers/msn.provider:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!doctype provider>
<provider version="1.0" id="msn">
 -=blah blah blah=-
        <setting name="password" type="password"/>
  </install-existing>
</provider>
the icons are taken from /usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/icon . Harmattan actually has two msn icons preinstalled to choose from: Icon-m-service-msn and icon-m-service-msn-messenger. Other protocol icons included by default are: Icon-m-service-aol-messenger, icon-m-service-icq, icon-m-service-yahoo-messenger.

Msn.service, watch out for the manager and protocol settings, they need to be whatever your telepathy plugin states:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<service id="msn">
  <type>im</type>
  <provider>msn</provider>
  <name>msn</name>
-=blah blah blah=-

</service-presences-list>

</type-data>

</service>
make sure you edit these somewhere else, as they seem to be picked up pretty quickly once in the directory and added to the database, whether you've finished or not. Note that you'll need to be root to put them in the proper place.
I am really not familiar with any codes in particular, so could anyone please provide a little guidance?
In my mind... when you say "create xml file", it means to open up a Text document, paste your code, and save it as a .xml is that correct? I noticed you also mentioned it's picky, so editing on a simple txt file on Windows XP, would that do a difference? lol And I am to assume those two codes quotes above have to be two different xml files? I can see the first file is to be called msn.provider (for MSN settings) and placed under /usr/share/accounts/providers/ but how about the second file? What do I name it and where to place it...? The rest of the instructions seem pretty much straight-forward.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Germany
first of all, save it as msn.provider and msn.service, not anything ending at .xml
Use for saving the normal windows editor / notepad. Not wordpad, word or something else, just plain plaintext.
It is after all a plaintext file that's using XML notation. Nothing more or less.

msn.provider goes to /usr/share/accounts/providers/
msn.service goes to /usr/share/accounts/services/

Beware that linux is case sensitive so Msn.service is another file than msn.service (see the "M" vs "m").

The Following User Says Thank You to Niwakame For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by billranton View Post

Assuming you've got the harmattan dev repository set up, you can install sqlite to add the account manually
Another noob question... No I don't have the harmattan repository set up... I've trying installing the deb from http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/...an-repository/ as well as the one from harmattan-beta2 but installation is failing. I've tried dpkg -i harmattan-repository_0.4+0m6_all.deb but Aegis is blocking it (even as root)... Is the only way to add it thru /etc/apt/sources.list.d ? Cuz... not that user-friendly, lol, never really had to edit a file inside a file

Did you activate Settings -> Programs -> Installations -> Allow ...?

Originally Posted by Niwakame View Post
Did you activate Settings -> Programs -> Installations -> Allow ...?
Yes, it is allowed. The exact message is:
Aegis rejecting harmattan-repository_0.4+0m6_all.deb: could not open debian archive
aegis aborting dpkg -- all listed package files rejected

Last edited by IsaacDFP; 2011-12-08 at 21:53.

Please try to download it again. Maybe it is corrupted. It opens fine for me, so aegis shouldn't reject you with an invalid deb archive error.

As an alternative:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

INSTALL_DIR=/etc/apt
if [ ! -e /$INSTALL_DIR/sources.list ]; then
        echo Copying sources.list..
        echo "deb http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/ harmattan/sdk free non-free" >> $INSTALL_DIR/sources.list
        echo "deb-src http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/ harmattan/sdk free" >> $INSTALL_DIR/sources.list
        echo "deb http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/ harmattan/41667a5bd857be02f487c2ce806fbf85 nokia-binaries" >> $INSTALL_DIR/sources.list
fi
this is the postinstall script from the above mentioned package.
save this to a file "enablerepo" or something, upload to phone
and then as root
Code:
chmod +x enablerepo
./enablerepo

Last edited by Niwakame; 2011-12-08 at 22:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Niwakame For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Yes, it is allowed. The exact message is:
Aegis rejecting harmattan-repository_0.4+0m6_all.deb: could not open debian archive
aegis aborting dpkg -- all listed package files rejected
Make sure it is in the correct folder. If you have it in the mydocs then

cd /user/mydocs/

then run dpkg -i

also remember to apt-get update it after.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warrentaye For This Useful Post:
I wasn't expecting anyone NOT to use the autocompletion feature of the terminal. Please use the "tab" key to autocomplete the filename for you. If you're in the wrong directory it won't work, and then you'll know why.

dpkg -i harm<tab key> should autocomplete it
if there are multiple matches for the filename, then <tab key><tab key> in a short interval (like double click) will list all possible candidates

@warrentaye:
simple things first, I often forget this

Of course...it was in the downloads folder and not my docs...lol. Ok moving on to the next step hehe