Active Topics

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I hope this gets relayed to them before launch...
Is there some formal way to lodge some feedback so they definitely "notice".
That is a well known contentious point. I don't want to discuss it, just mention that there will at least be a hackable way of solving this issue for those who really care about it.

Utopia situation obviously would be never having to close anything, which is actually true for WP7 and co (due to suspension). N9 is already close with real multitasking, so that's something.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
It makes me wonder how they output the screen in use to the big screen in those demo videos and pictures.
ie

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
It makes me wonder how they output the screen in use to the big screen in those demo videos and pictures.
Maybe the same way the N900 does.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
thanks for this nice pic, I like it !!!

The Following User Says Thank You to dtergens For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Man, InternetTabletTalk has sure gotten very mean-spirited lately after since the name change. I also see the name change and change of venue did about as much good as Sci-Fi Channel's name change to the sissy--er, Syfy Channel. What a shame and missed opportunity for capturing a tablet market YEARS ahead of everyone else with a community that was far more optimistic and helpful at the time. I don't think Nokia did anyone, themselves included, any good with moving away from tablets and portable computing.
Tablets will come, but it will be Intel and Windows 8 - if they still are fashionable by then. Besides, I don't really see the huge difference between the N800 and the N9 in terms of form factor and use cases. A tablet is for browsing, and so is the N9, but the N9 is also a phone.

On a side note, I actually got infraction points for being mean to BadaPrada and Danramos in this very thread LOL

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Man, InternetTabletTalk has sure gotten very mean-spirited lately after since the name change. I also see the name change and change of venue did about as much good as Sci-Fi Channel's name change to the sissy--er, Syfy Channel. What a shame and missed opportunity for capturing a tablet market YEARS ahead of everyone else with a community that was far more optimistic and helpful at the time. I don't think Nokia did anyone, themselves included, any good with moving away from tablets and portable computing.
Screw you, Negatron Dan. Hope your Galaxy Tab suffers from electronic bulimia or something.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
That EPIC N9 thread seems like a total waste of time and energy now.

Sure it looks like a nice device.. just like the Sony Xperia Arc or any of the HTC's running Android..

I'm disappointed by the specs, features and limitations of the phone.

I guess Nokia decided "if we can't beat them, join them"

The N9 brings nothing new whatsoever
That! Right there!

Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
The N9 brings nothing new whatsoever
This is EXACTLY what I have been honing in on and repeatedly pointing out--there is nothing compelling and different about this device that would make anyone, casual phone user or geek alike, want to move to an N9 from anything else. The Maemo/MeeGo people didn't want this. The iPhone/Android people won't abandon their platform for this. What's compelling enough to make anyone want to buy this? I keep asking, "What do you like this about this handset?" but none of the answers so far make me feel that this is an incredible device I must have over anything else out there.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
Your opinion might not matter, but that doesn't make it any less narrow-minded, ill-informed, and just all-around wrong.
request namechange to troll.maemo.org \o/

not just this post, but it's quite emblematic of the current mood

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
That! Right there!

This is EXACTLY what I have been honing in on and repeatedly pointing out--there is nothing compelling and different about this device that would make anyone, casual phone user or geek alike, want to move to an N9 from anything else. The Maemo/MeeGo people didn't want this. The iPhone/Android people won't abandon their platform for this. What's compelling enough to make anyone want to buy this? I keep asking, "What do you like this about this handset?" but none of the answers so far make me feel that this is an incredible device I must have over anything else out there.
I think you are missing the point. The device is clearly a child of N900, and is meant to sell and be for the masses. That is what the whole point of N9 is! It is supposed to attract the masses to what we love about N900, now harnessed under the hood of N9. Let me repeat, IT IS SUPPOSED TO ATTRACT MASSES TO THE USER EXPERIENCE THAT WE LOVE IN N900. (masses want monoblock device, not hwkb device).

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
there is nothing compelling and different about this device that would make anyone, casual phone user or geek alike, want to move to an N9 from anything else. The Maemo/MeeGo people didn't want this. The iPhone/Android people won't abandon their platform for this. What's compelling enough to make anyone want to buy this? I keep asking, "What do you like this about this handset?" but none of the answers so far make me feel that this is an incredible device I must have over anything else out there.
You seem to confuse answers which make you feel "that this is an incredible device" with what everyone else thinks.

The reaction I've seen does not suggest "the Maemo/MeeGo people" nor the "iPhone/Android" "don't want this". We get that you don't, but then lots of people here said that about the N810 ("the stylus is too small," "the speakers don't face forwrd," "the styling's not as good") and the N900 ("the keyboard is too small," "no directional pad," "the screen is too small," "the interface is too different," "no cancel button on dialogues," "I don't want a phone") as well.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2011-06-22 at 21:31. Reason: BBCode

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????