Active Topics

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
The things that I really loved in the N900 like flash support, FM transmitter, swappable batteries, are all gone. Improvements from the N900? CPU - debatable since we don't know what the N9/N950 will clock to vs the N900 typically running stable at 1.1GHz. Voice navigation - this was promised to N900 users way back from what I can remember, but it never materialized.

Sure, there's other nifty things like NFC that are on the N9, but as far as I'm concerned they're all nifty little things that are nice to have but I'd be perfectly fine living without.

Based on the information available so far on the N9/N950, IMHO the N9/N950 is a very "almost there" phone at best - which I find really disappointing. I was really looking forward to the N9/N950 to replace my aging N900. At this exact moment in time, I'm 50/50 in deciding whether to get another N900 as a backup to last me another few years. The N9, while being a step forward in some areas, is definitely (for me) a step backwards in just as many, and stagnation in the rest.

I'm anti-signup.

I am not going to allow anything to use my twitter account to sign up on a list of 32 (or 320) names when Nokia probably would not listen until it reaches 320 000. Sorry

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I'm anti-signup.

I am not going to allow anything to use my twitter account to sign up on a list of 32 (or 320) names when Nokia probably would not listen until it reaches 320 000. Sorry
Whoa, THAT helped

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verythrax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biatch0 View Post
The things that I really loved in the N900 like flash support, FM transmitter, swappable batteries, are all gone. Improvements from the N900? CPU - debatable since we don't know what the N9/N950 will clock to vs the N900 typically running stable at 1.1GHz. Voice navigation - this was promised to N900 users way back from what I can remember, but it never materialized.

Sure, there's other nifty things like NFC that are on the N9, but as far as I'm concerned they're all nifty little things that are nice to have but I'd be perfectly fine living without.

Based on the information available so far on the N9/N950, IMHO the N9/N950 is a very "almost there" phone at best - which I find really disappointing. I was really looking forward to the N9/N950 to replace my aging N900. At this exact moment in time, I'm 50/50 in deciding whether to get another N900 as a backup to last me another few years. The N9, while being a step forward in some areas, is definitely (for me) a step backwards in just as many, and stagnation in the rest.
Camera is big improvement. But for the rest I agree with you.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nor the United Kingdom.
nor germany... very annoying... hope it will change soon...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Source for this? Not that I doubt you; just this is the first time I've honestly heard this.
here you go

http://meegonews.com/2010/11/21/lte-...-in-meego-1-3/

The Following User Says Thank You to zonk0r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
Whoa, THAT helped
Nothing we can do will help. We need to rely on the stock holders, now. Save your effort for where it makes a difference.

Originally Posted by zonk0r View Post
i know the UK market is absurd, but I live here and would rather spend my money in the UK than the US. Although a massive chunk of the money i spend on these products will go abroad, at least some stays in the UK.

Based on UK prices therefore - I can't see this phone costing £700, even for the 64GB version.

Am I right in thinking this OMAP version is the one that the Sammy Hummingbird CPU was based on? I would not be suprised - especially given nokia are sammy's biggest chip customer.

The memory modules will be the thing that'll push the price up, mainly because 70% (ballpark figure) of all of these modules were produced by Toshiba, who had to close their two main plants down in Japan because of the Tsunami.

With the price of AMOLED screens about the plummet with that HUGGGEEEE fab plant coming online in the next month or two as well, I can't see any reason for the price of this phone to be high - apart from the memory, and maybe ramp it up because of development costs - but I can't see them punishing the customer with that on a first-release device anyways?
And it's not only the UK market, Apple pretty much has that pricing policy everywhere outside the US (Correct me guys if I'm wrong).

That is why I don't understand the (speculated) price of the N9. It's like Nokia is trying to force customers to choose between a (absurdly) overpriced non-US iPhone 4, or the latest (absurdly) overpriced last-release iPhonesque N9.

But hey, for 250 euros I'd buy it in a second.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Nothing we can do will help. We need to rely on the stock holders, now. Save your effort for where it makes a difference.
You just need a couple of clicks, not THAT wasted effort.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
If I am not a developer, not a Linux lover, why get this device if you already own an iphone?
Maybe just because you like more red or blue color?

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland