Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Jolla are doing a good job being Wayland adopters, while others dragging their feet behind. Wayland is stable for a while already. Time to use it. Even Intel planned to use Wayland in Meego a whole while ago. So there is no sudden "change of plans". It's BAU.
The whole issue that fmg has been alluding too is not about being good/bad adopters; its simply being led to believe initially that Qt4.8 and X11 was what would be in the first device but now with a beta SDK coming out, this has been changed abruptly.

Honestly, Jolla took their time to release the alpha SDK so they should have gone Qt5+Wayland at that time itself instead of doing so after releasing an alpha SDK. This type of abrupt changes after communicating something else is what fmg is probably alluding to about them not learning from their past history at Nokia.

I'm no dev so such changes don't matter to me but for others it may just be a case of why bother with a Company who doesn't know for sure what exactly it wants in its first device...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
They need to move fast, and they do it. Otherwise they won't be able to compete. Ubuntu isn't going to use X11 in their handset OS for example. Yes, initially they started with X11/Qt 4.8 and I actually was concerned that it would take them too long to iterate further, but they stipulated their plans to use Wayland and Qt 5 in the future. They just decided to do it sooner, and I think it's great. Lot's of signigicant changes and often - are not ideal for development, since some were planning to work within Qt 4.8 / X11 initially. But everyone had to be ready to switch to Qt 5 as soon as it would be available. So it is now.

This whole X11 -> Wayland switch is disrupting for the whole Linux universe. So you just feel the bump in Jolla's example. You'll feel it on the desktop too. It'd worth the effort though and is much better than lingering with X11 for who knows how long still. I even consider Wayland to be late. It had to come earlier!

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-07-19 at 17:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
What the hell are you talking about? PySide can be ported to Qt5 just go out port it if you want it! its open source for got sake. Something that people can contribute on for free. But instead we sit here discussion instead of contribute
I love this line of thinking; if a commercial company who plan to sell you a device for $$$ don't give you the basic tool-set to develop for their platform, go port it yourself for free.

iOS/WP etc have their fanboys and Sailfish have you who tells people to port xyz to make Sailfish successful otherwise we won't have a linux-based phone OS and would have to live in this big bad world of Android & iOS domination...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
The whole issue that fmg has been alluding too is not about being good/bad adopters; its simply being led to believe initially that Qt4.8 and X11 was what would be in the first device but now with a beta SDK coming out, this has been changed abruptly.

Honestly, Jolla took their time to release the alpha SDK so they should have gone Qt5+Wayland at that time itself instead of doing so after releasing an alpha SDK. This type of abrupt changes after communicating something else is what fmg is probably alluding to about them not learning from their past history at Nokia.

I'm no dev so such changes don't matter to me but for others it may just be a case of why bother with a Company who doesn't know for sure what exactly it wants in its first device...
Yeah right, and then people would complain because "hey are not delivering they just talk". Btw. 2012 the Wayland and libhybris was not ready and Qt5 was just released november 2012 if I remember right.

And also for those who had made apps for Silica this is not and issue. except they had to sed -i "s/QtQuick 1.1/QtQuick 2.0/g"

And facts stand whatever they choosed people here would complain. So from now on a will shut up about this issue for me this discussion its just pointless. People who complain and are affraid X/Y app will not work should instead start contribute to Mer/Nemo ASAP.

By this post I don't want to offend anyone. Just saying we see stuff in different way and I personally think its good decission in most perspectives especially in bussiness perspective if they want to release more embedded products in the future...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
What the hell are you talking about? PySide can be ported to Qt5 just go out port it if you want it!
youre funny..

Some words of wisdom from the past:

<faenil> Stskeeps, have you already done the shift to Qt5? or is the first sdk image qt4?
[2013-01-26 01:02:18] <Stskeeps> first sailfish device would be qt4, it'd be suicide to turn the boat around at this time
[2013-01-26 01:02:37] <faenil> alright
[2013-01-26 01:02:37] <Stskeeps> qt5 comes later
[2013-01-26 01:03:01] <faenil> Stskeeps, is it becaues it's not mature?
[2013-01-26 01:03:08] <faenil> or because of time needed to port
[2013-01-26 01:03:15] <Stskeeps> it's more that it'd be too invasive to switch at the moment
[2013-01-26 01:03:21] <Stskeeps> and just because it's tempting it doesn't mean it's a good idea
How things change Like I said, I'm no dev so the change doesn't affect me but the above quote seems apt for all those who keep saying the change is minor instead of holding Jolla to account for fumbling it up despite having similar fumbles when at Nokia...

Note I'm not trying to put anyone in a bad light but I believe a bit more accountability instead of unadulterated fanboyism would help Jolla i.e. constructive criticism always helps

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I love this line of thinking; if a commercial company who plan to sell you a device for $$$ don't give you the basic tool-set to develop for their platform, go port it yourself for free.
Well, thats the difference between open and closed source/development. Most of times all of you cry Jolla should be even more open....

But why do we discuss this anymore? thp is doing pyotherside, isn't he? Fell free to contribute to that or not. It's up to you. You have the choice.

Btw tweet from few minutes ago:

@jake9xx 4m

Some update on the #Jolla #Sailfish #SDK , the final steps before QA are somewhat done -- it will be announced soon.. very soon

Last edited by Morpog; 2013-07-19 at 17:32.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

iOS/WP etc have their fanboys and Sailfish have you who tells people to port xyz to make Sailfish successful otherwise we won't have a linux-based phone OS and would have to live in this big bad world of Android & iOS domination...
LOL! You think engineers shall work 24h 7 days a week just because you want that tool and also you want it to be open source. But you don't want to contribute yourself

I seen this hypocrite over and over again on TMO

Seriously there is a tool its called:

SailfishSDK including: QtCreator, Qt(Quick), SilicaUIcomponents and Mer core librarys all the other stuff is extra stuff that you want and because of sailfish is based on an open source its up to the community to decide if they want thirdparty opensource apps/bindings/libs ported to mer. However I do think we will see pyside ported to Qt5 but I am not sure its by people here at TMO but there is plenty of good contributing people who cares and don't sitting all the time on TMO crying, bashing(me included to be self critical) or trolling.

If you don't like that bussiness well you are free going for Android IOS, BB, WebOS, Firefox, WP, Ubuntu mobile, or whatever its up to you.

Again we can't get everything. If we could the first thing I would choose is world peace...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-19 at 17:38.

How things change
It's good that Jolla aren't afraid of changes. As they said. Otherwise they'd be too slow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
ok, so the current situation is:

maemo apps, meego apps, and 99.99% of existing linux apps can't run on or be ported to jolla. but it can run quite a lot of android apps, but not as much as a dedicated android device. and if you rewrite your app in c++ and specifically target the jollaphone only ,it can run it.

i'd cry if it wasn't so funny.

The Following User Says Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open