Closed Thread
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
ok, so the current situation is:

maemo apps, meego apps, and 99.99% of existing linux apps can't run on or be ported to jolla.
Why can't they? There are very few applications which use X11 directly, and if they do - they are in trouble yes, but it's nowhere near to 99%. The vast majority of them use higher level frameworks, and those are enabling Wayland support (Qt 5 included). Therefore they can and will be ported if their authors care.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Qt6 will be included in the first device for all we know. Again, the issue is not what actually is included, but they communicate what the he'll is included and what device they planning to ship.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
jalyst will hate us for derailing his thread so massively

Yeah, I really see no point in further complaints about X11. Get over it. Jolla decided to use Wayland, Nemo will use it as well. I hope Plasma Active will start using it soon enough. That's it. Adapt to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It was nice derail though. Back to order.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Why can't they?
either you don't understand (which seems to be the case) or you have some secret knowlege. briefly explain how gtk2 / qt4 apps are going to run please.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
jalyst will hate us for derailing his thread so massively
conerns and criticisms are not on topic?

Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
either you don't understand (which seems to be the case) or you have some secret knowlege. briefly explain how gtk2 / qt4 apps are going to run please.
Their authors will rewrite them to use gtk 3 and Qt 5. If they aren't going to - it's their problem. Gtk2 and Qt4 will have EOL. Especially with Wayland replacing X11. On the desktop the grace period is longer, since no one is rushing, and drivers aren't even here yet (no Nvidia EGL drivers for example). On the mobile it came already. Update it or drop it (the application) the way I see it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Their authors will rewrite them to use gtk 3 and Qt 5. If they aren't going to - it's their problem.
ok, explain how to run a python qt5 app on jolla then.

Python bindings for Qt is community supported now, so it's being developed slower than "official" parts of Qt. So you have several options, either wait until Qt 5 support will be implemented, help implementing that to speed it up or rewrite the application on C++. Another option, implement / test support of XWayland for Mer. However I don't think you should expect Jolla to do any of it. It's not their priority.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-07-19 at 18:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open