Closed Thread
hey
how is the SSU?
still buggy?
Can I update without having after that problems with my n900, like camera etc.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
i installed it, but no portrait here.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Hmmm... I'll be honest with you, I don't have that many Qt programs on my N900, but the one's I've tested this on, I don't seem to see any problems (I've tested FastSMS, and HealthCheck.)

I do see a problem with HealthCheck, something about certain images not found according to an error it prints to X-Term, but it seems to appear regardless of whether it's launched in portrait mode or not.

What Qt apps do you have this error in? I'd be happy to test further.

Either way, I'm sorry, but I don't get the logic of that. It's basically saying "it's not going to be perfectly supporting everything, so we shouldn't include it at all". By the same reasoning, why bother doing anything? Why bother developing a system-wide portrait keyboard, if portrait support didn't yet exist everywhere? Etc, etc.

It just really seems like a very moot point. Portrait support has been wanted since this phone came out. If it's not implemented globally, it works peacemeal like it does now, but always with manual auto-rotate, etc. If it IS implemented globally, it still works peacemeal, but it works for a lot more things, and it works automatically for a lot more programs where it didn't work before. The ones it works glitch-ish-ly for, it still effectively doesn't completely work for, but there's a bunch of programs the usability of which gets increased.

I mean, really, if you look at all the programs that the N900 has, how many of them are actually in Qt? And most of those are at least made to work in portrait mode, if not to be launched in portrait mode. Having global auto-rotation would be wonderfully useful, and even if you're right and those Qt apps have problems with it, it's not hard to mentally remember that a few of your phone's apps shouldn't be launched in portrait mode - far more convenient, it is, then clicking some shortcutd mapped key to use Ctrl+Shift+R, let alone manually entering that combination.
Actually my point was that before launching system-wide portrait mode we (and by saying we I mean even me if I have some damn free hours) should fix at least known problems. And if you check extkbd thread you will see that latest version has portrait mode support. I absolutely agree with you that one should not stop system-wide portrait mode because not all of the closed bits support it, but knowing that there are bugs in QT libraries re portrait mode and not fixing them does not look good to me. Are we on a hurry, do we have some schedule from management? Or the idea of Community SSU is to show that something can be done, even incomplete and ugly.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the idea of having full portrait mode on our phones, just want things to be done in the right way not in the same half-baked Nokia way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
well the work is just awsome since the last update !!!!!
great thanks all the team ( can't use the same 'thanks' button more than 1 time xD )
keep going on you made in few weeks what Nokia didn't do 8n more than a year
cheers

Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
well the work is just awsome since the last update !!!!!
great thanks all the team ( can't use the same 'thanks' button more than 1 time xD )
keep going on you made in few weeks what Nokia didn't do 8n more than a year
cheers
and the congregations said:

AAAAAAAMEEEEN!

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
i installed it, but no portrait here.
need to activate it in transitions.ini

could you please point me to where i would get that setting taken care of?

i searched this thread, but only see the blur effect stuff...of which i dont think is what i would be looking for?

weird no new updates for me...

hmm...damn.

i changed the setting in the transistions.ini file to 1. and saved it.

rebooted, but still no rotation. what am i doing wrong?

Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade