Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
@dirk Planning something?
http://funkyotherhalf.com/
click on store, has been online for +- 10 days

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
on the software side: I would be happy if there was some kind of guide for dummies.
Oh.
Added some clarifications there.

Would it be better that this is downloadable from e.g. openrepos?

Last edited by kimmoli; 2014-05-02 at 04:33.

hi, since you are not planning to build another wave, is it possible to (let's say sell, i don't know) that idea to Jolla itself, that they could make (probably make some contract with some factory) more ?!

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Jolla knows well that idea (AFAIK they even invited dirkvl to Barcelona MWC to exhibit the keyboard at the fair). It seems also the device is in 'testing stage' in Jolla's labs.
Whether they are going to commercialize it or whether we'll see any announcement about keyboard availability from Jolla, it's only up to them.

Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
Added some clarifications there.

Would it be better that this is downloadable from e.g. openrepos?
Much clearer now, thank you!
Is it very bad that I installed the .rpm through filetug? Should I re-install using terminal?

It would certainly be nice if it was in warehouse and one could check there for updates, but as long as I know what I should do, I'll be fine

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Is it very bad that I installed the .rpm through filetug? Should I re-install using terminal?
If you installed 0.30 from merproject repo you are all fine - no need to reinstall

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
It seems also the device is in 'testing stage' in Jolla's labs.
Whether they are going to commercialize it or whether we'll see any announcement about keyboard availability from Jolla, it's only up to them.
Source? AFAIK this is not happening. No manpower, no priority, very open to third parties to develop.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
AFAIK this is not happening. No manpower, no priority, very open to third parties to develop.
I think that is a big problem. As we have seen, it is beyond a bedroom-project to supply all but the most enthusiastic with a physical keyboard, yet the need is great. I myself was very hesitant to move from my N900 to the Jolla without the promise of a keyboard and I think there are many others like me out there. For a hacker's device, a keyboard is very important. Many want to do their hacking directly on the device, and are used to being able to do so from the N900. With fingerterm only, that really isn't an option.

The main point is still that I don't want to be restricted to having a phone in my pocket, I want to have a full computer! All Android, Windows Mobile or iOS can give me is a phone.

Last edited by stefanmohl; 2014-05-02 at 12:21.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Source? AFAIK this is not happening. No manpower, no priority, very open to third parties to develop.
This was posted recently...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...73#post1423373
But then again Jolla has often hinted at exciting things like this & not delivered.

They needed something truly interesting for TOH yesterday (ambience isn't the "killer app" they continue to pretend it is).
Alas still nothing on the roadmap that's definite...

They need scale & they need $, that's their main problem, but they continue to delude themselves that they don't.
They're still not srsly talking to much larger co's because they have faith that they can do everything 100% on their own.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-05-03 at 04:20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
This was posted recently...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...73#post1423373
But then again Jolla has often hinted at exciting things like this & not delivered.
Confirmed from multiple sources that there a lots of sketchy facts in this article. Anyway, Jolla is testing my keyboard to make sure software works with future updates. Not testing their version, as this does not exist.

Anyway, Ian is on the mail. Last 14 in order op appearance: Paul A, David P, Heikki P, Pavol, Thorsten, Janne J (2x), Oli, Jan R, Cobb, Arto, Halla, Mohl, Bernd. Mucho busy lately with studying and expanding my empire, but I have not forgotten about you!

Also, still looking for person that sent kb back without return address, no idea who it is from.. :s Loose cable, black tape over pcb.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-05-04 at 22:02.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty