Active Topics

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
So let us see how this (poll) goes out.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Accepted when making a decision. Not when it was added post factum after the decision was made already. Adding unknown controversial goals is bad. And if you think it's good we'll have to agree to disagree.
You really don't get how kickstarter/igg works, you did not buy a product. You crowdfunded something that might, or not, get created. Jolla can pocket that 1.3 mil and run to live happily on an island somewhere far from the internet. They probably won't and will try to deliver a usable (for anyone and everyone) tablet. If exFAT spoils it for you, then we should really push for the opt-in, where you can not click it on startup and have the clean experience you believe in. And when your friend hands you 128gb sd card with the pictures of his baby/family vacation, you spit in his face, because MS sucks, reformat that **** before you hand me the 30 pieces of silver again

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
So, you agree that adding controversial goals in the middle is a bad idea. Good. That's the whole scope of the discussion and not whether Jolla uses some closed parts already or not and what to do about it.
No, I said exactly the opposite. I said I don't understand why it makes a difference if it's in the middle of the campaign or at the beginning, because it's nothing fundamentally new. It's just one more closed, patented technology. It's safe to assume that people who resist paying for such licenses with their money didn't support the campaign for such a consumer product in the first place. Those who supported it are either OK with the license fees (and therefore with a fee for exFAT) or just couldn't care less.

Of course you understood very well that this is what I said. I question your motives, really.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
You are free to revoke your funding, aren't you?
Yes, but that's the worst option. We are talking about how Jolla can provide better ones.

Seriously, stop thinking about this in terms of: I can format my cards however I want, don't abuse the money I already pledged for other patents, knowing this pains me.
More like something that gives you a clear advantage: hey Marc, I would really love to dl the pictures from your uber-camera 256mpix and all that you carried with you on our vacation, but, could you possibly reformat the card before you pass it to me? My beliefs prevent me from exfat, nothing personal dude
Nah, lets make it a moral issue

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Seriously, stop thinking about this in terms of: I can format my cards however I want, don't abuse the money I already pledged for other patents, knowing this pains me.
More like something that gives you a clear advantage: hey Marc, I would really love to dl the pictures from your uber-camera 256mpix and all that you carried with you on our vacation, but, could you possibly reformat the card before you pass it to me? My beliefs prevent me from exfat, nothing personal dude
Nah, lets make it a moral issue
Proposing to stop thinking something else isn't going to change the fact that it's a controversial issue with divided interests / preferences. So it's a bad idea to make it into a stretch goal which should appeal to all (or at least most) backers. Making controversial goals is just asking for backers dissatisfaction.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
No, I said exactly the opposite. I said I don't understand why it makes a difference if it's in the middle of the campaign or at the beginning,
And you were answered already. Making it in the beginning allows backers to decide based on the input. Making in the middle doesn't, it just makes it mandatory for those who paid before that goal was made (if the goal is reached of course). Quite basic, but many here somehow think it's OK to do that even if it happens that many backers find that goal wrong.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
You really don't get how kickstarter/igg works, you did not buy a product. You crowdfunded something that might, or not, get created.
That's exactly how it works. Backers invest in the product. And as investors expect something from it. If they get not what they expect, it's wrong. Did backers who supported the project expect that their money will be used to pay for exFAT? No, why would they. And many didn't appreciate it when it was announced. Compare it to any other type of investment.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-12-01 at 23:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
That's exactly how it works. Backers invest in the product.
Wrong, there is no guarantee (edit: promise made no sense here) of delivery. Check KS/IGG rules, you are not buying anything, you are donating to an idea. Not investing...
And as investors expect something from it. If they get not what they expect, it's wrong.
Investors get shares and expect return. Here you didn't even buy shares, you promoted an idea. If they fail with tablet you can't even claim return. Welcome to the donating for a promise land (not sure where to put the finger quotes, promised land should also be there)
Did backers who supported the project expect that their money will be used to pay for exFAT? No, why would they. And many don't appreciate it. Compare it to any other type of investment.
Investment, you still don't get it

Proposing to stop thinking something else isn't going to change the fact that it's a controversial issue with divided interests / preferences. So it's a bad idea to make it into a stretch goal which should appeal to all (or at least most) backers. Making controversial goals is just asking for backers dissatisfaction.
Not stop thinking something, to look at it in perspective. You can format your card as you want. We are not friends, I do not make my camera purchase decisions based on your belief system (assuming I still cared about you being my friend, really cannon was the straw? like kodak is so much better because of filesystem support?). Being able to accept cards from people who do not necessarily think/format cards as you do is an extra, seriously, you can cripple your device if you want and continue on this fight, but why?

What I like the most about this discussion is the sheer number of assumptions and (to an extent) mud-slinging by some parties. It's pretty loud in this thread.

The sole reason I joined the discussion was to explore what other options can be taken regarding the exFAT situation. That's all. I'm not one to default to the pragmatic approach all the time, but I'm not the "Red Hat+NSA conspiratard" kind of person. If an alternate path can be taken by Jolla to save them some money on licensing fees, then so be it. If they're gonna pay Microsoft the money for exFAT, then so be it. It's my preference that they'd choose the less pragmatic approach, but I'm not gonna dwell on it if they don't. They're a company, and they have the first+final say in anything they do.

After seeing the arguments presented by those supporting the exFAT patent, I concede my position. No need for all this extra noise.

@Morpog
If this is fringe-level fundamentalism to you, then you haven't seen it in all its flaming glory. Ever took a peek at *Diaspora? Check the systemd flamewar? And they're all losing hair over FREE SOFTWARE that they don't have to use. If I'm on the fringe, then I'm the worst kind of F/OSS lunatic.

@benny1967
As an "anti-exFAT" person (not even true), I do not use Facebook, WhatsApp, or Skype, but not because they're closed+proprietary; I merely do not trust those services. I run Arch Linux (call it what you want, I really don't care) on both of my computers, and my router has dd-WRT installed on it. I don't care enough to use a VPN.

I've moved past the whole "open vs. closed" debate, my conclusion being that I'll just research something I'm interested in and use it if I want, open-source or no. I'm more of a "live and let live" kind of person.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks