Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
@doonit: Really happy to hear that you're out of the woods. Now I'm curious if this the same reason that everyone else here are unable to reflash. You should spread the word doonit!
It's been said once somewhere that this COULD be the reason, but now we know, don't we? The flasher3-5 wiki page should be updated to say that good battery level is absolutely crucial to be able to do that flashing method.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Amsterdam
The N900 battery is the same as 5800/ 5230/ X6.
Find someone who has a fully charged one and try to flash the kernel again.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Cape Town, South Africa
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
@doonit: Really happy to hear that you're out of the woods. Now I'm curious if this the same reason that everyone else here are unable to reflash. You should spread the word doonit!
It's been said once somewhere that this COULD be the reason, but now we know, don't we? The flasher3-5 wiki page should be updated to say that good battery level is absolutely crucial to be able to do that flashing method.
Yes I agree. The thing is that if you don't know then its hard to stop the rising panic.
I wish there was a quick method to hard reset the phone like the 'Green key + hash + 3 + power on' finger gymnastics method from old Symbian S60 phones. That got me out of a lot of problems.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Rach82 View Post
The N900 battery is the same as 5800/ 5230/ X6.
Find someone who has a fully charged one and try to flash the kernel again.
Yet another reason it's good to use an external charger and have some cheap batteries on hand. Total investment: about $20.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
For those still in trouble:
I have just bought a new spare battery which holds almost full charge already.

THE USUAL FLASH MODE AND REFLASHING JUST WORK.
THE CURE IS VERY SIMPLE: GO GET A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY AND THEN DO THE FLASHING.

I'm not quite sure yet whether uboot is gone witht the flashing, but anyhow the n900 wakes up from coma.

IMHO three things are involved in this non-booting issue:
1) New version of kernel-power (v44): some blame the problem on the kernel. I beg to differ. According to those who flash successfully things are just fine.
2) Uboot: is it really usable at this stage? It's open to unlimited ways of configuration. What works and what doen't, I don't know. So next time if I am about to upgrade the kernel I will definitely check to see if the bootloader is well-behaved.
3) The flashing process: the most critical part is not whether you press "U" or how to plug in the USB port, BUT the battery level at the time of flashing.

I hope the troubled can try out the solution and hope that works for you.

I still think this is not a problem of the kernel but the implementation of uboot in this instance. Yet I would like to express my gratitude to titan and matan for their hard work which just aim at making our n900 experience better.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Just for the record, everything works great for me, including uboot, which I just used to restore with. I'm using the latest power kernel, basically latest everything.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Just for the record, everything works great for me, including uboot, which I just used to restore with. I'm using the latest power kernel, basically latest everything.
awesome!!! Me as well,, and hen usb host mode works. Unfortunately on camera and audio, which is no big deal.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Hi,

I had same problem after upgrade to v44 kernel. Could not reflash, because of empty battery. I saw uboot screen with tux, but it did not go to flashing.

I to took out battery, and charged it with external charger. At the beginning, voltage was 3,45V so totally empty. After charging, voltage was 4.05V so almost fully charged.

But now, device does not show any picture at all, totally blank. When i plug in USB calble, yellow led flashes for a split of second, but device remains blank. And also power button does not do anything.

Any ideas ?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Cape Town, South Africa
Originally Posted by kpihus View Post
Hi,

I had same problem after upgrade to v44 kernel. Could not reflash, because of empty battery. I saw uboot screen with tux, but it did not go to flashing.

I to took out battery, and charged it with external charger. At the beginning, voltage was 3,45V so totally empty. After charging, voltage was 4.05V so almost fully charged.

But now, device does not show any picture at all, totally blank. When i plug in USB calble, yellow led flashes for a split of second, but device remains blank. And also power button does not do anything.

Any ideas ?
Make sure that it's not just that the backlight is no longer coming on...that caught me for a while too. If it is the problem then
1) remove/replace battery
2) Open keyboard
3) connect usb and press any key when phone vibrates. I think you have about 5 seconds to do this
4) hit enter and type "reset' and hit enter again.

Originally Posted by doonit View Post
Make sure that it's not just that the backlight is no longer coming on...that caught me for a while too. If it is the problem then
1) remove/replace battery
2) Open keyboard
3) connect usb and press any key when phone vibrates. I think you have about 5 seconds to do this
4) hit enter and type "reset' and hit enter again.
No, its not backlight issue. Phone does not vibrate and screen is actually blank.
Since battery is not 100% full, it shouldt at least start charging, but it does not. Seems that even battery charging is controlled by some software, and if this software does not run then its not charging. Correct ?

Should device come up without battery, when i just plug in USB cable ?

I will buy a new battery i try with that.