Notices

Originally Posted by gnuite
To everyone who has cleared their configuration and is now getting a segfault on startup with Maemo Mapper v1.2.3: please try typing the following commands (exactly as they appear - use copy/paste) into an xterm.

gconftool-2 -s -t string "/apps/maemo/maemo-mapper/units" "km"

gconftool-2 -s -t string "/apps/maemo/maemo-mapper/escape_key" "Toggle Tracks"

Then try starting Maemo Mapper. Let me know if this has any effect.
Worked for me I had spent the better part of a day trying to troubleshoot this without much luck, then reinstalled 1.1.

I also found that I had an old Maemo Mapper config in apps/maemo-mapper (not apps/maemo/maemo-mapper) so I used
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset to blow that away. My guess is that restoring from backup after I updated to IT2006 left some cruft
on the device, there's a lot of stuff from applications that I don't recall installing on 2006.

And - I just got the iBlue 737 GPS, which works quite well with Maemo Mapper. GPSPassion.com just did a review where they
fairly gushed over it. 25 hour battery life and performance as good as the SiRFstarIII units. Semsons has it $20 off until the end of the month.

BTW - on this site a CODE block inside of a QUOTE causes the page to be too wide.

Last edited by RichardK; 2006-10-26 at 23:16.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Bulgaria
To everyone who has cleared their configuration and is now getting a segfault on startup with Maemo Mapper v1.2.3: please try typing the following commands (exactly as they appear - use copy/paste) into an xterm.
Code:
Thanks!
That fixed the problem

Code:
This trick worked for me, too. Thanks for your persistence, gnuite.
(Perhaps you can incorporate this fix into your next release or otherwise include it in the install process?)

I would like to edit settings, especially the repository URI's. Editing %gconf.xml seems to be problematic. If I save my settings obtained using:

gconftool-2 -a "/apps/maemo/maemo-mapper"

to a file, and edit the file, is there a way to load the new settings into the gconf database?

Thanks!

where are you ladies & gents getting the google uri's from? Has anyone had success other one's besides Google? Thanks Derrick

Originally Posted by tdmajic
where are you ladies & gents getting the google uri's from?
See post #20 of this thread.
Has anyone had success other one's besides Google? Thanks Derrick
See posts #57, #60 and #61 regarding MM-Extensions.

Code:
I was suffering the same symptoms as PDAfan and this cured my problem. Many thanks.

David

NOTE, if useful: I do have maemo-mapper installed but I don't use it with a GPS receiver. Ok, let's go:

* First, a (kind of) bug (important, for me):

If I have a route loaded and go to the Manage Maps dialog, choose Download Maps - Along Route, it doesn't work: well, it actually does something, but it behaves like choosing the "By Area (see tab)" option.

I'd like to know if anyone experiments this same weird behaviour.

* Second, a (little?) request:

I'd like the app loading the last loaded route on startup (if a route is displayed when exiting), it is very annoying to manually reload it everytime.

* Third, a (less important) request:

I'd like to pan the maps like the web pages in the browser, that is like the Google Maps application: pressing, holding and moving the stylus on the screen.

* Fourth, a question:

Is the "GPX Driving directions" web app open source and available? I'd like to put it on my server for personal use rather than relying on someone other's server, who knows if it is available in the very moment I need it?

Much thanks, bye

Originally Posted by poulsone
I would like to edit settings, especially the repository URI's. Editing %gconf.xml seems to be problematic.
Do not attempt to modify the XML manually.

Originally Posted by poulsone
If I save my settings obtained using:

gconftool-2 -a "/apps/maemo/maemo-mapper"

to a file, and edit the file, is there a way to load the new settings into the gconf database?
Not that a know of. You can use gconftool-2 to modify settings individually. Use "gconftool-2 --help" or google gconftool-2 for help on how to use gconftool-2.

Otherwise, just use Maemo Mapper itself to edit the settings...

Originally Posted by insert_nick
NOTE, if useful: I do have maemo-mapper installed but I don't use it with a GPS receiver. Ok, let's go:

* First, a (kind of) bug (important, for me):

If I have a route loaded and go to the Manage Maps dialog, choose Download Maps - Along Route, it doesn't work: well, it actually does something, but it behaves like choosing the "By Area (see tab)" option.
I'll see if I can verify and fix this. Thanks!
* Second, a (little?) request:

I'd like the app loading the last loaded route on startup (if a route is displayed when exiting), it is very annoying to manually reload it everytime.
I've considered this, and I'll try to implement it soon; there are just some issues I need to work out first (e.g. what if multiple routes are loaded? what if the route file is gone? etc.)
* Third, a (less important) request:

I'd like to pan the maps like the web pages in the browser, that is like the Google Maps application: pressing, holding and moving the stylus on the screen.
This would be difficult given the current implementation, plus it's hard to do while driving, plus it gets in the way of the context-sensitive "click-and-hold" menu, plus it's strenuous on the screen (can create scratches, especially if done while driving).

I've been meaning to investigate this, but there are more pressing things (like bugs) that I need to work out...

* Fourth, a question:

Is the "GPX Driving directions" web app open source and available? I'd like to put it on my server for personal use rather than relying on someone other's server, who knows if it is available in the very moment I need it?
It is not (yet) open source, but the functionality it performs may soon be moved to Maemo Mapper itself (if I can work out the string parsing issues efficiently enough).