Active Topics

Originally Posted by yorg View Post
I wrote no skype for galaxy S

and actually there is no skype on the android market guys...

from what I saw, they only make it available for specific carriers in the US

and I think you have to buy it

when they say "many android devices" they probably mean like 6-7and on specific networks

the Galaxy S is not one of them. the Desire is not either i think.
Here try this link its free for a few Android Handsets http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...obile/android/

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by TH3ORY View Post
Here try this link its free for a few Android Handsets http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...obile/android/
From that link:

The same experience on your Verizon Wireless 3G smartphone means free Skype-to-Skype calls and IM.
It supports the fact that Skype isn't on an non-Verizon phone - at least in the US.

And if you go to skype.com/m on the phone, you end up with:

Sorry, Skype mobile is not available for your phone.

Switch to one of Verizon's best-selling BlackBerry and Android 3G smartphones.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-08-31 at 17:36.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
From that link:

It supports the fact that Skype isn't on an non-Verizon phone - at least in the US.

And if you go to skype.com/m on the phone, you end up with:
Dude im sure its said free for the bottom 2 Android Phones, otherwise i would have not posted that link ??

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I played HEAVILY with VOIP on the Android to see if I could use it in an on-the-go Podcasting capacity, so I'll share my experience:

Sipphone is... not good, in my experience. Very tragic product. That being said, there are far worse tragedies out there for VOIP on Android.

As far as the best goes, I had the best luck with using Linphone on Android, and it seemed to work the cleanest of the whole bunch.

All of that means nothing if the conversation is about Skype, though. Since Skype is a closed-network and NOT a standard SIP protocol VOIP system, none of this software is going to matter to you.

If you want Skype on Android, you're likely going to need to be on Verizon. If you don't necessarily want Skype in particular, just ANY VOIP will do, then you have a plethora of SIP client apps available (and a few other less used VOIP protocols).

the title of the link you posted writes:

"Here are the Android™ smartphones from Verizon Wireless that support Skype mobile™"

So what I said basically. And Galaxy S is not one of them either.

Dude im sure its said free for the bottom 2 Android Phones, otherwise i would have not posted that link ??
the bottom two are not for sale so not sure why they even list them

i think skype is missing a couple of marbles!

Peoples, the Skype app is free. There's a big blue bar on that page that says what to do to get it.

The "Buy Now" buttons are links to purchase the phone (hardware) from Verizon. The Droid and Droid Eris are listed because Skype is supported on them.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheTree For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yorg View Post
the title of the link you posted writes:

"Here are the Android™ smartphones from Verizon Wireless that support Skype mobile™"

So what I said basically. And Galaxy S is not one of them either.
My Bad Dude

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Do you want me to post a screenshot that basically states everything I said earlier and how it's not available for any non-Verizon Android phone?

I mean, I typed in exactly what I got when I tried it earlier.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Do you want me to post a screenshot that basically states everything I said earlier and how it's not available for any non-Verizon Android phone?

I mean, I typed in exactly what I got when I tried it earlier.

LOL Chill out i believe you, all i am saying is that I’m sure it said free Skype for a couple of android handsets that’s all….

Tags
n900-fail-wail