Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
So many great entries!! It always made me feel that it's not the hardware, but the person who take the picture that makes the difference.

I vote for 3. Fellfrosch. I miss that much of snow so much...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

3. Fellfrosch - (used hugin to blend two pics from my XperiaX)
Weather theme is really forward in this picture; the mountains and clouds really stand out. The reduced palette is a good choice here. Somehow the foreground is a bit blurry which makse the image look a bit odd. Is that because of the blending or does the constitution of snow somehow change from left to right on the foreground?
Hi juiceme,

to be honest, I have no clue where it comes from (my guess is a strange structure of the snow).
here you can see the both out of camera photos which were merged to get a 3:2 Portrait oriented pic, you can also see that the reduced palette was not really a choice, but weather given:

https://ib3gk7ocfrdjfrk3.myfritz.net...ynRLXtMNxYESNQ

https://ib3gk7ocfrdjfrk3.myfritz.net...REbobxB8bS4d5Y

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Hi juiceme,

to be honest, I have no clue where it comes from (my guess is a strange structure of the snow).
here you can see the both out of camera photos which were merged to get a 3:2 Portrait oriented pic, you can also see that the reduced palette was not really a choice, but weather given:

https://ib3gk7ocfrdjfrk3.myfritz.net...ynRLXtMNxYESNQ

https://ib3gk7ocfrdjfrk3.myfritz.net...REbobxB8bS4d5Y
Thanks for showing your work on that! I had been really curious about how stitched the images and what you'd started with.

I had thought that you'd deliberately de-focused the foreground snow to emphasize the smallness of the structure with respect to the massive mountain and the even more immense clouds. But snow can just look funny sometimes -- not funny ha ha, but funny strange.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Thanks @Fellfrosch, indeed it is something in the snow itself and not an artifact of stitching as I suspected!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks, juiceme, for a detailed review. I'd like to make it clear that the rest of my response was written with the tongue firmly embedded in the cheek.

2. pichlo - Jolla Phone
The picture has a strange mood, ...
Yes, that was quite deliberate

The image would have benefitted from leaving the qall/post/whatever off from the right edge.
I inspected the image again several times and I am not sure what you mean. The only thing on the right edge is a tree. Whether it fits the composition or not is a question of taste. I can see why you might not like it but in my defence I can say that I did not originally take that picture for the competition

And BTW the image is way too small for my taste, cannot really make up any detail in the flowers.
See what I mean?
As before, blame the TMO uploader. As a member of the Council, you have the power to do something about it.

So it's details that you want, is it?
Here you go:

Name:  20190209_155121.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  84.9 KB

Last edited by pichlo; 2019-03-01 at 17:53. Reason: Fixed "See what I mean?" link. It got somehow corrupted the first time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Thanks for the detail, @Pichlo, it indeed looks much better like that.
Of course that is not the original picture any longer, the one I praised for the mood!

And just to remind you, both me and @mosen have offered to host any number of images sufficently large, just please ask us to!
I've got directly FICIX-connected server space to hose away, it's a no-brainer to host few GB's of images for you

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Of course that is not the original picture any longer
Of course not, but it is a zoomed in and cropped part of it.
(Just in case you were going to accuse me of posting a different picture.)

And just to remind you, both me and @mosen have offered to host any number of images
I know. (And psst, don't tell anyone... I myself have a means to host my own images.)

But it is a matter of principle:
  • This is the place where the competition is announced.
  • This is the place where the pictures are posted.
  • This is the place where people view and vote for the pictures.
  • Ergo, this should be the place providing all the infrastructure, including a decent picture uploader.
    The idea that I have to use some other - any other - service goes totally against my grain.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine

We have a, erm, no or 4 winners:

robthebold 2 (mosen, Juiceme,
Maemish 2 (Fellfrosch, catbus,
mosen 2 (robthebold, Maemish,
Fellfrosch 2 (Pichlo, Chen,
pichlo 1 (Amboss,
catbus 1 (Macros,

C'mon everyone, help to decide this with some more votes so March can start.

EDIT Here again are all runners from 2 pages back

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-01 at 19:41.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
  • This is the place where the competition is announced.
  • This is the place where the pictures are posted.
  • This is the place where people view and vote for the pictures.
  • Ergo, this should be the place providing all the infrastructure, including a decent picture uploader.
    The idea that I have to use some other - any other - service goes totally against my grain.
Sounds like a good idea if it's an affordable option. And one way to make it more affordable and thus more reasonable for the community council to pursue would be to suggest members who haven't made or renewed their financial contributions recently to the "keep the lights on" fund (to the extent that each can, of course) do so now. So in that spirit, I've sent a few Ducats, grossed up enough -- I hope -- that maemo.org gets my intended donation after paypal fees.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post

C'mon everyone, help to decide this with some more votes so March can start.
Yes, everybody please vote! You don't have to have contributed a photo this month to cast a vote for your favorite. So that means you, you and especially you!

Time for a new theme, cause I'm getting tired of this lousy Smarch weather. And my misprinted calendar. And subzero Fahrenheit temperatures.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, camera.phone, competition