Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
Hardware as http://www.wibrain.com/ is what I would like to see from Nokia. Plus Maemo and the invaluable always-on we already have, of course. Check the specs page!
That's the scariest looking piece of hardware i've seen in a long long time.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
That's the scariest looking piece of hardware i've seen in a long long time.
Well, ok, design excluded. Not THAT bad, but somewhat odd.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@gammer
Hardware as http://www.wibrain.com/ is what I would like to see from Nokia. Plus Maemo and the invaluable always-on we already have, of course. Check the specs page!
Great link! Just goes to show that soon the market is going to be FLOODED with "Internet Tablets."

I'm rooting for Nokia, as they are the only ones that seem to want to make this class of device capable of fitting ones pocket and hope that they keep tending towards perfect convergence. They are getting nearly everything 'right'.

... but I understand that you'd like the specs of this device, and not necessarily for Nokia to manufacture a clone.

}:^)~
YARR!!

Nokia Capt'n-series

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I think I'm going to model and render a mock up of what the N900 could potentially look like using selected suggestions from this forum.

Nerdy, yes, but also a fun project. I'll try to keep it extremely realistic, based on what we know, adhering to the proportions of the N810.

Keep'em coming!

}:^)~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt the third

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
The wibrain does have a great device layout (the ergonomic design I keep saying is ideal) ... but the problem is it's too long. There's no way it's going to fit in my pocket. That's why I keep saying that it ergonomically ideal, but not going to happen.

That's the problem with the split keyboard design: it's not going to be a "pocket tablet", it's going to be something bigger than that.

And, of course, the wibrain has 2 other problems.

The first being it runs Windows. If it had full driver support for, say, ubuntu, maybe I'd run it.

The second being: it's vaporware. The latest of its designs looks MUCH better than the one they were floating out there in January/Febraury, but there's still actual device on the market.

Though, with that said, if Nokia wanted to put out a slightly larger device as a "big brother" to the n800 series, the wibrain wouldn't be a bad starting place. Put a back facing camera on it, and maybe slightly taller then 3 inches (for hand comfort) (so maybe it'd be 8"x5" instead of 8"x3"). In that extra space, put a micro-DVI out and an express card slot (which you can use for more USB slots, USB-OTG, card readers, etc.), and some more battery space for longer life.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2007-10-29 at 15:14.

Originally Posted by kotzkind View Post
I need a reak SIP app, so that i could connect to my providers sip, where I have free calling.
Gizmo certainly offers you the ability to sign into both Gizmo's servers and a secondary server as well. I've been wanting to try it with my phone server at work but it doesn't support SIP yet.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by zestuart View Post
Gizmo certainly offers you the ability to sign into both Gizmo's servers and a secondary server as well. I've been wanting to try it with my phone server at work but it doesn't support SIP yet.
When I tried it with gizmo, it would only connect to an externally accesible SIP provider. I couldn't connect to the Asterisk server on my LAN, but I could connect to one of the SIP providers I use. RTComm solved this, and integrates nicely into the OS.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
I want an option for a dock, I want to be able to dock the thing, it charge over power and over cat5 let me access it, no usb dock that forces you to run Linux or windows, give me network dock with a smb/nfs option and that will be way faster too. you could even add a video and audio out and let is stream music or movies.

Just about all of the recently release pro SLR's have compact flash ports, some two ports. In any event once you leave the world of cell phones compact flash is still very popular.

In any event I don't see this as serious as a standard host USB port. I really don't care how much space it takes up either. The IT have a rather crappy camera that takes up space and nobody complains about that. Same thing with the excess of buttons on the device.

Dave

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Re the discussion about CF cards: CF really isn't the most cost-effective anymore. SD has taken over that role. It's also approaching 32GB, and the latest SLR digital cameras I looked at all had an SD slot in addition to CF.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Wizard69 View Post
Just about all of the recently release pro SLR's have compact flash ports, some two ports. In any event once you leave the world of cell phones compact flash is still very popular.
And once you leave the world of PDA's. CF cards aren't anywhere near as popular as they used to be in the PDA arena. Which is too bad, really. The specialty card market for CF's was rather cool. A PDA with a CF card and the right drivers could directly be a cell phone. Or a wifi PDA. Or chemical sensor. etc.

These days, you have to go with a PC-Card or an Express card to get that functionality/flexibility ... and those cards are too big to put in a PDA.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist