Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Updated package for Maemo 5 Fremantle with CSSU
So I finally worked out most of the quirk for running Mieru 2.x on Fremantle and made an installable package. It's manual installation only for the moment though I plan to also properly update the package in Extras in due time. This package also basically requires CSSU - you can install it even without it but quite a lot important things (like page fitting) just don't work properly, most probably to old & broken Qt/QML/PySide version.

If you spot some bugs or other issues, please let me know.

How to install ?
First, you need to became root.
Then, install all the needed dependencies:
Code:
apt-get install qt-components-10 libzip1 unrar python-pyside.qtgui python-pyside.qtdeclarative
Uninstall the currently installed mieru package, just to be sure (all your settings/history will be untouched by this):

Code:
apt-get remove mieru
Download the package somewhere:
Code:
wget http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/packages/mieru_2.2.27_armel.deb
And install it:
Code:
dpkg -i mieru_2.2.27_armel.deb
How to return to the old interface:
Just uninstall the package and install it from Extras-devel:
Code:
apt-get remove mieru
apt-get update
apt-get install mieru
How to go to the task switcher ?/ How to minimize Mieru ?

Tap the upper left corner.

How to shutdown Mieru ?

There is a Quit button in the main menu.
This is great!

However, it's time to start thinking about applications depending on latest CSSU. Right now, you won't be able to promote this package to Extras, and that rule should be overridden.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
One remark and one question

Question:

Is it my imagination, or could I zoom with the volume buttons in the previous version? Maybe I am mistaken and it was never there...

Edit: it was for turning pages. New method is even better.

Remark:

Could you add an icon to the latest installable deb file? It is missing now.

Last edited by ade; 2012-03-01 at 19:42.

Might be a silly comment, but: why is the japanese set in a serif font when the regular name set in sans-serif on the splash harmattan splash screen? lol

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I have found and (hopefully) fixed the installation issue. Quite interestingly, it was caused by old byte compiled python (*.pyc) files remaining from the previous version overriding new files, leading to those "argument not found" errors.

Updated installation instructions
First, you need to became root.
Then, install all the needed dependencies:
Code:
apt-get install qt-components-10 libzip1 unrar python-pyside.qtgui python-pyside.qtdeclarative
Download the package somewhere:
Code:
wget http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/packages/mieru_2.2.29_armel.deb
And install it:
Code:
dpkg -i mieru_2.2.29_armel.deb

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-03-01 at 19:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
This is great!

However, it's time to start thinking about applications depending on latest CSSU. Right now, you won't be able to promote this package to Extras, and that rule should be overridden.
Well, I would say that a big part of users has Extras-devel enabled, but still a good point. As Mieru really doesn't have any exotic dependencies, this issue should really be solved.

Originally Posted by ade View Post
One remark and one question

Question:

Is it my imagination, or could I zoom with the volume buttons in the previous version? Maybe I am mistaken and it was never there...

Edit: it was for turning pages. New method is even better.
I have investigated how to use the volume buttons from a Qt application and found this:

Maemo 5 zoom example
Example on Maemo Wiki

Not really sure how to do this from Python + PySide...
Some sort of an utility/wrapper written in C/C++ might be needed.

Remark:

Could you add an icon to the latest installable deb file? It is missing now.
It should be there, in the graphics section.

Originally Posted by robotsindisguise View Post
Might be a silly comment, but: why is the japanese set in a serif font when the regular name set in sans-serif on the splash harmattan splash screen? lol
IIRC, I typeset the English text first and then found that the font won't render kanji, so I found other roughly similar font and used it for the Japanese part.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-03-02 at 19:07.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
It should be there, in the graphics section.
There is an icon in the deb file, but it does not show. It could be some setting on my device (I use categorize), but I doubt it. It shows up in the menu on your device?

Here is what I did to make it show on my device:
- Resized the icon to 64x64 and put it in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps.
- Moved mieru.desktop to /usr/share/applications/hildon (from /usr/share/applications) and changed the reference to the icon.

Now it shows the icon in the menu, but maybe it is a specific issue on my device after all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ecuador
There is an icon in the deb file, but it does not show. It could be some setting on my device (I use categorize), but I doubt it. It shows up in the menu on your device?

- Moved mieru.desktop to /usr/share/applications/hildon (from /usr/share/applications) and changed the reference to the icon.

Now it shows the icon in the menu, but maybe it is a specific issue on my device after all.
I have the same problem

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D@vIcHoJD For This Useful Post:

Originally Posted by D@vIcHoJD View Post
I have the same problem
Well, the package is bit of a hack at the moment. Currently its the same package as for Harmattan that in its postinst detects if it is running on the N900 (using /proc/cpuinfo) and does some Fremantle specific modifications (copy the icon to other folder, add startup script, etc.).

This is a temporary solution I used to get a workable package quickly. A proper package is still needed:
  • that postinst hack is ugly and potentially fragile - you really don't want a failing postinst script
  • different icon size - 80x80 for Harmattan vs 64x64 for Fremantle
  • different desktop file location
  • different dependencies - Fremantle has unrar in the repo but Harmattan doesn't so Mieru has to ship with an unrar binary
  • you can't place a startup script to /usr/bin/ on Harmattan or your package would not pass the Ovi QA - see the list of path name exceptions
  • Harmatan applications mostly use invoker for splash screens & single instance behavior in their Desktop files, making the Desktop files incompatible with Fremantle
Fortunately as I already have quite a nice & fast packaging setup comprising from:
  1. a bash script that pulls current source from GIT, sets version + changelog and initiates packaging (i really should finally clean this up a bit and publish it somewhere )
  2. a setup.py script that uses Khertans nice sdist_maemo module and builds the source package
  3. and a COBS repo that builds the actual installable package (the bash script automatically uploads the source package using osc once it's done with packaging)
Modifying it to produce a customized Fremantle package should not be that hard.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-03-04 at 15:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Mieru package in Apps for MeeGo updated - testing needed !

I have updated the Mieru package in Apps for MeeGo testing, so it is currently on the same level as the version in Ovi store. Please test (see the community QA testing guidelines) and then fill in the QA form. Don't forget to tick in Should the application be in this application catalog?, provided that you think Mieru is worthy of this, of course. Thanks in advance !

What do I need to test applications in Apps for MeeGo ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
A new version of QtComponents for Fremantle is in Extras Devel. Would you try to upload Mieru to Devel depending on it?