Active Topics

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Let's not get indoctrinated into "microb is - and always will be - slow. Mobile Firefox is quicker and better".
You are the first person I have seen say that. Must be a pretty subtle indoctrination.

I think it is pretty clear that improvements to Microb are coming as well. Again, it is valid to be excited about the fact that we can expect to have a faster web browsing experience going forward.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I just wish they would let normal users install the beta version of Diablo Microb. I don't mind beta software testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
They will; don't normal users know how to build from svn?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
They will; don't normal users know how to build from svn?
Evidently it depends on some bc-dev package which doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

Has anybody tried compiling successfully compiled from svn?

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-04-17 at 19:06. Reason: I need to learn how to think one of these days.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I did, couldn't figure out what patch, script, update goes where...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't even know where to look for the new browser, after MicroB got absorbed into Chinook, they just left the browser web pages over at the garage to grow old and crufty.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
While it is very good to say Fennec right now is THE fastest browser for ther NIT, that does not go to say that FENNEC is the BEST stable browset for the NIT today.

FENNEC is no where near complete - crashes out often on large sites (which MicroB handles), kinetic scrolling only works on lite sites and on heavy sites (moderately) there is no way to even scroll up or down since they removed the scrollbars.
I won't say I've played with Fennec much since I prefer the full UI of minefield to the limited UI of Fennec, but I have played with Minefield and I haven't seen any instability like I did with MicroB. I crashed about 8 times using MicroB last week in one hour; where I have had no crashes in Minefield yet. Now, I will admit I don't do a huge amount of browsing on my N810, but Crashing vs not-crashing on the limited amount of browsing I do do -- minefield is stable for the browsing I've done.

Installation memory footprint seems to be pretty big (i doont know about MicroB since its baked in into the OS).
Installation footprint; yes I'm sure they are about the same. MicroB is using Firefox Alpha 5, where Minefield I think is like Beta 2. They should be somewhere close to the same size wise.

So lets not make such definitive statements here. In fact Fennec/Minefield is stil not a ready app in the true sense. I installed it and had to uninstakll it if I really want a usable browser on my NIT.
Right now it is MicroB, sadly with its shortcomings.
Not for me -- on my N810; as I said above; I haven't had it crash even once. Where just before I installed it I had microb crash a dozen or so times. I couldn't be more happy with the stability so far.

Nathan.

Part of the discussion on the developer's blog was not so nice:

Random Dude:
I’m sorry…but without a build for PocketPC phones ( smartphone or touch-capable ), this isn’t much of a win. Sure, Maemo-based devices will have their place, and if Nokia actually DOES get their act together a release a smartphone based on the Maemo codebase, there could be a nice win there. However, the “heart and soul” is still the WM based smartphones and pda phones.

Mozilla Developer:
Yep, we know! We’re working hard to get to a set of real phones. The N810 is a great platform for development and testing but we understand that the real win is on a real mobile platform.

Pfft.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ShayneOSU View Post
Pfft.
For serious.

There's a better future with GTKWebKit, anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I thought Nokia pulled out of Webkit? As for the Mozilla developer, I wonder how much his comments were biased towards WinMobile simply because they adjust their views to whoever they speak to.