Active Topics

Notices

Ok, maybe I'm just dumb... the license viewer works fine, but neither selecting a book nor reading one seems to work here; what directory is it looking in, anyhow?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I managed to read a book. I started by selecting Continue Reading and it was clear the directory is media/mmc2 in my case. I put a book in the root of mmc2 and it was easy to read it (The Decameron, by Boccaccio, from Project Gutenberg). I wanted to change color of the background and couldn't see how to do that yet, but I'm probably jumping the gun.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-10-05 at 11:51.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
heh, at least my biggest fear has not been realised.
It actually installed and has not blown up your machines

qole, complete resolution independence took a dive in certain aspects unfortunately and I ran out of time to cure it, but the buttons and ui elements themselves should be the same relative size no matter what resolution - the loading and editing of sketches saved in different resolutions may appear wrong.

As for the fonts used for UI buttons, I really don't expect that to stay for much longer, as stated this will all be replaced by fully customizable pretty hand drawn sketches soon.

The keyboard is 100% hack and just a way to get a username from people on 800s, it works with the hardware keyboard at same time.

Selecting a book builds up its folder tree from /home/user, /media/mmc1, /media/mmc2 and searches for all files *.txt
Its not perfect and is just a test to see how to select from large groups of data.
It will be fairly simple to replace with a standard +- treeview for folders in the longer term. On my machine ive got hundreds of books and files and it works well there.

Autoscroll is enabled/disabled with menu key and then Up/Down control the speed. I'll make some tweaks to this and ensure preferences are saved.

Background color would require more work, everything comes from black and grows from there, whilst its possible to invert or start from that, its a limitation at present based on initial examination and choices on day one with the device.

I gather from the lack of points about sketching and graffiti its either working perfectly or you have so little sketches in there it seems useless at present.

Yes, install went fine. Launch time is totally impressive :-)

I seem to remember something about tagging entries, is it maybe not there yet ? The keyboard would do fine for that...

fpp, yes tagging is very desirable, it took a bit of a backseat once people with n800s started playing with it however.
Biggest personal issue I have now is how to turn sketched out UI concepts into template code to save me doing the position and size calculations manually.

Once I can build UI elements directly on the screen the building blocks for everything *should* slot together quite nicely, I've already built the UI that I think will work for tagging - the physics view - I just need to finish tying a lot of things together.

I've done it before in other systems, but never before have I built entirely from scratch.

Its been an eyeopener and really brought it home just how much work goes into widget toolkits of all classes and just how easy software designers have it nowadays.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thanks for this app, lcuk.

In the Graffiti Wall there is a zoom tool that is completely hidden. I should be visible, maybe with a +/- control.

It would be nice to have the ability to sort the sketches in reverse. I mean, from older to newer.

Thanks again.

heh, it did work with +- at first but it felt finicky, I will ensure now the slider is in place that it works properly.
Also, I'll make sure its not so hidden - i only dropped it back in place last night and needed to see it was calculating properly.
I will clarify and ensure the interface works in due course

As for reverse order, its technically possible I just never saw the need for it - if enough people ask I'll drop it in but for now its not a priority in this release.

Just tried your .deb lcuk, installation went fine, launching too but I had scrambled screen, then intermitting lines in the lower part of the screen, then random cycling numbers on the top left corner (a string of maybe 10, 12 numbers).
I'm actually using the latest release of Diablo on a N800, wifi was online, sound disabled, GPE, OMWeather and Personal Launcher were active on my home, no other programs on the background...
liqbase seems great anyway, impressive work

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
lcuk Thank You Thank You!

Great stuff so far...

Couple of quick questions:

Physics - gives me a blue screen....is it loading something...do I wait?

Book reader - Only .txt files can be read, correct?

Only complaint so far is from my Wife she seems to think I need to pay attention to her and not this cool new "toy" you have given us.

Sno

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by JustNick View Post
launching too but I had scrambled screen, then intermitting lines in the lower part of the screen
I saw them too, but only in 800x480. You have to reduce the resolution.

The Following User Says Thank You to alephito For This Useful Post: