Active Topics

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
What happened to the buttons on top? Are they just smaller or has the alternate view button been removed from the N800? Is it gone completely or is it merged somehow into the zoom buttons?
They are still there at the top left - just a lot smaller.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I understand your point, but frankly the cat was already out of the bag, so why not sell them? If anything Nokia should probably be happy with the fact that (a) they made a big splash on engadget BEFORE the flood of CES drowned them out and (b) some very enthusiast bloggers (including people in this forum) are essentially doing their marketing for them by posting pics, specs, and initial reviews.

You've obviously known a lot about this new product for a while and have done a very good job (from what I can tell) of keeping quiet about it. Your ability to respect that embargo is commendable, I guess, but the people at CompUSA are SUPPOSED to sell the thing (just maybe not quite yet)! If anything, Nokia should be happy that they have sold X number of units before the thing was even properly announced!

Maybe we've all been trained by "Steve Jobs" school of product launches that they have to come completely out of left field and only be available for purchase at the pre-determined time.

If anything, this type of launch rewards those enthusiasts with a brief moment of exclusivity before the mainstream picks up on it. After all, this being a product that relies on the open source community to build apps, why not reward that community with a sneak peek at it?

Anyway, not much longer to wait for the official announcement regardless.
(PS--I hope this doesn't come off as trash talk. Its late here and my rant-detector is running low..time to sleep)
Thanks for the compliment. It's just that there's a big difference between the previous leaks and actually selling them before the proper date. It was made VERY clear to resellers that they were to respect the launch date, and that date was prominent on shipping cartons. The reason disobeying that is a problem is because it puts honorable resellers at a disadvantage.

To be honest, I hope some heads roll over this. I'm not naive enough to have previously thought it couldn't happen, but the fact that it was easily possible still doesn't make it right.

Originally Posted by jrd042 View Post
Ok I did it. It is beautiful. I’m a fairly new user so I’m somewhat overwhelmed but what I see so far I love. I had the 770 but found it to limited so I hoping in the long run this will be the one.
See, I told everyone not to jump to conclusions about its look and feel. Since I first saw/held one I immediately felt it was a significant improvement in form factor alone.

I have some disappointment in certain design decisions but other than one (which was a problem with the 770 too) they are not showstoppers IMO.

There are naturally some performance improvements. It remains to be seen how significant the community will deem them to be.

I can confirm that it comes with a wired stereo headset with microphone

btw. I love the pivoting caMera. Can't wait to see some video software to take advantage of it.

Originally Posted by onpaws View Post
btw. I love the pivoting caMera. Can't wait to see some video software to take advantage of it.
I would like to hear from any N800 users who experience an image that will not flip after 90 degree rotation (toward the rear). Please start a new thread in Troubleshooting and/or PM me. Thanks.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
What happened to the buttons on top? Are they just smaller or has the alternate view button been removed from the N800? Is it gone completely or is it merged somehow into the zoom buttons?
They are still there just smaller and chromed. Another bad style decision I am afraid. What was the point of making them smaller and harder to find and push? Nokia realy did it wrong messing with the functional simplicity of the 770 and going for more flash at the expense of function.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Although I still don't think I'll spend the money to upgrade - I am curious about one thing: How is the battery life?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
See, I told everyone not to jump to conclusions about its look and feel. Since I first saw/held one I immediately felt it was a significant improvement in form factor alone.

I have some disappointment in certain design decisions but other than one (which was a problem with the 770 too) they are not showstoppers IMO.
A penny for that showstopper of yours ? :-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
What in the name of the Seventh Hell is that blotch on the bottom left side of the screen?