Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Do i have to register first with some android or iphone device?
This is the output i get
Code:
[1|user@Nokia-N900|~]telegram -k /etc/telegram/server.pub -v
Telegram-client version 0.01-beta, Copyright (C) 2013 Vitaly Valtman
Telegram-client comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show_license'.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `show_license' for details.
libconfig not enabled
 *** public key '/etc/telegram/server.pub' loaded successfully
 *** connect to 173.240.5.1:443 successful
 *** outbound connection #3 becomes ready
 *** Starting authorization for DC #1: 173.240.5.1:443
 *** try write: fd = 3
 *** Sent 42 bytes to 3
 *** try read: fd = 3
 *** Received 85 bytes from 3
 *** outbound rpc connection #3 : received rpc answer 0 with 84 content bytes
 *** process_respq_answer(), len=84
 *** p1 = 1258950227, p2 = 1699277257, 28870 iterations
 *** try write: fd = 3
 *** Sent 333 bytes to 3
 *** try read: fd = 3
 *** Received 5 bytes from 3
 *** outbound rpc connection #3 : received rpc answer -404 with 4 content bytes
 *** process_dh_answer(), len=4
telegram: mtproto-client.c:549: process_dh_answer: Assertion `len >= 116' failed.
 *** 0 * 0 = 2139305488436087339SIGABRT received
No libexec. Backtrace disabled
There seems to be a length check, that is failing?
Works well for me, maybe you are missing some library (libconfig, libreadline, libssl, are required). No need to use another device to register, registration works on this client.

The Following User Says Thank You to NerdKnight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
Good read about alternatives incl. pros and cons of Telegram

http://missingm.co/2014/02/fighting-...ted-messaging/
strange, this arcticle seems to dislike xmpp for mobiles. but whatsapp use xmpp in his core...

are these assertions true?

XMPP does not work well in an asynchronous mobile environment
The future of XMPP is looking bleak, particularly now that Google—one of its former champions—has abandoned the standard in favor of their proprietary Hangouts format
maintaining a persistent connection to an XMPP server on a mobile device doesn’t perform very well. It sort of works on Android, but frequent server disconnects, dropped messages, and reduced battery life make it a frustrating experience. It’s not even possible on iOS.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
'cause honestly i cannot imagine all the people setting up their own jabber server or register different accounts, one on jabber.org another one on foo.org etc. just in case one server became unavailable or untrustable.
Well I do imagine at least something as simple as "per country" servers, or even .. *gasp* facebook, google, whatsapp, $COMPANY providing their own, federated services. Not only I do imagine that but I also was there when e.g. jabberes.org started, Google Talk appeared, etc.

Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
Getting down from the meta level - what kind of messenger would you suggest to stay into contact with people that aren't tech savy (and I still call my friends)?
For iPhone people I've been using IM+ Pro (yes, payware). Note that this client effectively proxies every incoming message because iOS is not multitasking. Which means that all you can on iOS do is to choose your own poison, since messages have to be proxied by Apple's push notification service either way.

For Android at least you have several clients to chose from.

Originally Posted by v0id View Post
please make it happen. since whatsapp owned by FB, i wont use it anymore. please please please port telegram to harmattan. would donate for that.
So instead of learning, you fall into a new trap? "Jumping from the frying pan into the fire".
When Telegram is bought by another $RANDOM_FRIEND_OF_NSA, you will need to migrate again....

Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Looks like telegram is broken by design and has many flaws:

http://missingm.co/2014/02/fighting-...ted-messaging/

The way to go, according to the comparison in the link, is 'surespot' which is also open source, but real secure and not only wanna-be secure like telegram.

http://surespot.im
https://github.com/surespot
Sorry but Surespot is also centralized garbage. The master key is even hardcoded on the client application, so client is implicitly trusting their server (MITM is possible _by them_). No federation.

strange, this arcticle seems to dislike xmpp for mobiles. but whatsapp use xmpp in his core...

are these assertions true?
True on iOS, Android, and most non-multitasking platforms. Without multitasking there is no way to keep a connection open in the background. Thus the only alternative is to use the platform mandated centralized push service.

I suspect that on Android this may be workaroundable -- ie ensure the system does not kill your service by marking it as a "system" service or similar. On Maemo obviously this is not a problem. There's also no difference in battery use when you use timer coalescing for e.g. keepalives (which Maemo/Sailfish do).

Yet as I read on that document services such as like ChatSecure still manage to interoperate with the Jabber network, which is what I expect from a IM service.

Last edited by javispedro; 2014-02-22 at 20:13.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NerdKnight View Post
Works well for me, maybe you are missing some library (libconfig, libreadline, libssl, are required). No need to use another device to register, registration works on this client.
I'm having the same error as michaaa62 and i have check i have all the libs required:
libconfig8, libreadline5 and libssl0.9.8

Can this line mean there is a problem with libconfig?
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
libconfig not enabled
Thanks

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by pinoverclock View Post
I'm having the same error as michaaa62 and i have check i have all the libs required:

Thanks
Found the problem, download the new build. Instructions and link in first post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NerdKnight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Originally Posted by vincr View Post
Yeah.. N9 version please! Surely I will donate for a (partly ) working version!
me too. Anyone got commandline telegram binaries for the n9?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Great!

Registration successful. Now let's explore the options of the cli client.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by pinoverclock View Post

Thanks
in my N900 both libssl0.9.8 and libssl0.9.7 are installed at the same time. is it normal? also libreadline4 and libreadline5 are both installed...no need to remove the oldest versions?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on May 2013 @ southern germany
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post

So instead of learning, you fall into a new trap? "Jumping from the frying pan into the fire".
When Telegram is bought by another $RANDOM_FRIEND_OF_NSA, you will need to migrate again....
Out of curisity, so what's attracting you to this service, versus, opening an account on any jabber server and using the client that's built-in in _every_ Maemo/Sailfish version released to date?
Sorry for not answering to your questions at the beginning of this thread, I'm quite busy with other stuff atm. Many answers to your initial question were already stated in this thread.

The "trap" I believe, is any form of electronic communication. If you want privacy, your best opt is go out in the forest with your chat partner physically and discuss things off wire. It is more personal anyways.

Until a few days Whatsapp was totally ok for me as everyone (naming standard iOS/Android users) had very easy access to this service = registering with their phone number without an additional registering process... being totally aware that my conversations wouldn't be private in the forementioned sense. BUT they were NOT used in a manner like FB systematically conglomerates user data...

I haven't opened a jabber account despite being aware of the advantages.. Getting a whatsapp account and using it on my n9 just suited my needs.

After recognizing Mark just payed 45 bucks for my trivial but still personal messages/pics/whatever thoughts (as he did for the other 449.999.999 users), this is a totally other setting to cope with.

After reading a lot of stuff 'bout existing IM platforms for mobile devices since Whatsapp sellout, I'm just underlining my statement above...

What I need is this simple application to text and send pics cross-platform without generating questionable data agglomeration for a huge corporation as mentioned before.

So bump again for a Telegram Harmattan client.. and if there was a similar sellout it would just generate a similar alternative that is at least not worse than the predecessor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artish0ke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
in my N900 both libssl0.9.8 and libssl0.9.7 are installed at the same time. is it normal? also libreadline4 and libreadline5 are both installed...no need to remove the oldest versions?
There are applications that even might need the lower version!

You could test if you could remove the lower version
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get purge -s libssl0.9.7
apt-get purge -s libreadline4
The -s switch simulates the removal of a package to test, what packages might get removed as well.

Read the output very carefully before erasing the -s switch for the actual removal of the packages!

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:

Tags
spyware, telescam