Active Topics

Notices

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Preview is/will be used by osm scout server. Its shown when route is calculated , but before navigation itself. So, we can imagine map styles highlighting cycling routes, public transport, highways shown at that stage.
Got it and found the screen in pure maps. On it.

Regarding transport icons from unicode, this is what i selected and converted to svg.
The style is kind of different to what is there but simple enough to still fit the grey on map icons.
will look further but i think it is okayish already.
(attached svgs not minified, only for test purpouse)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip map-transport.zip (23.2 KB, 39 views)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
What do people think about adding mapcode support alongside plus codes, OSM support and Google map links? Mapcodes seem to tick the right boxes (open source, various libraries available including through PyPI).

I'm noticing how W3W is acquiring mindshare in spite of the drawbacks, and I think it is good to show support for open standards.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Got it and found the screen in pure maps. On it.

Regarding transport icons from unicode, this is what i selected and converted to svg.
The car looks like... it's ready to do some evil >:-) What has been seen cannot be unseen, etc.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
What do people think about adding mapcode support alongside plus codes, OSM support and Google map links? Mapcodes seem to tick the right boxes (open source, various libraries available including through PyPI).

I'm noticing how W3W is acquiring mindshare in spite of the drawbacks, and I think it is good to show support for open standards.
I haven't heard about mapcode (as plus codes earlier). If its used and popular, we can surely add it. Its also a question of simplicity in adding it to python code and whether it requires some remote API call. If all can be done without remote calls and python function exists, it would be trivial to add.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I wonder whether transport icons should be

* black-and-white

* profile of the transport mode

The rest of the icons in map selector are in color, but somehow I thought that black-and-white icons for car, bike, walking, and public transport would suite better at such relatively small scale.

I also find it a bit easier to distinguish car via profile, same for train. Profile also reduces "evil" factor.

These are my 2c, I'll better leave it to the ones with the better artistic vision than mine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I haven't heard about mapcode (as plus codes earlier). If its used and popular, we can surely add it. Its also a question of simplicity in adding it to python code and whether it requires some remote API call. If all can be done without remote calls and python function exists, it would be trivial to add.
Looking at the sources for the command-line utility, it seems that it can all be done locally. There is a Python module too, see here, which is basically a Python wrapper for the mapcodelib C library.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Looking at the sources for the command-line utility, it seems that it can all be done locally. There is a Python module too, see here, which is basically a Python wrapper for the mapcodelib C library.
Pure Maps is noarch so far and I would prefer to keep it that way. Unless its needed by some main functionality. Until that, I would resist adding modules which require arch specific compilation. So, any pure python implementation?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
As I understand both, plus and mapcode are just offline code snips to calculate. There is no api to a server needed.
Plus is supported on OsmAnd. But IMHO it would be nice to have as more "standards" supported as possible.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Pure Maps is noarch so far and I would prefer to keep it that way. Unless its needed by some main functionality. Until that, I would resist adding modules which require arch specific compilation. So, any pure python implementation?
Good point - I agree that it wouldn't be worth moving from noarch for the sake of mapcodes. Looking at the code for the python module, it is mostly #define's and static data, so may be portable from C to python (not that I am suggesting that you do it). If I have time later this year I might have a go myself - it would be good to look at python again.

Porting the testing utility so that the tests run might be the biggest part of the job.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
If I have time later this year I might have a go myself - it would be good to look at python again.
If you do so, good luck. I spent the better part of last evening trying to do so. It relies heavily on C++ pointer arithmetic and enums, and there is no documentation for the mapcode algorithm - their "documentation" is a word doc that talks about what mapcode does but doesn't go into the algorithm itself.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post: