Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
What are you talking about?

There's only been around 5-6 Android releases over its popular life and hardly any device got more then 2!

There's been a few iOS updates but the major ones iOS4 - iOS5 always cut support completely to some older devices OR allow them to run with certain important features disabled..

We are probably gonna get 3 releases within a year! That's more then any other phone!
There is a point there!
Jelly bean just came out yet only less than 10% of the Android phoned run the ice cream sandwich. Yes they do get updates and bug fixes but only feature updates are the big releases.

PR 1.1 and 1.2 were bug and feature updates

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
What are you talking about?

There's only been around 5-6 Android releases over its popular life and hardly any device got more then 2!

There's been a few iOS updates but the major ones iOS4 - iOS5 always cut support completely to some older devices OR allow them to run with certain important features disabled..

We are probably gonna get 3 releases within a year! That's more then any other phone!
lol, like i said about 2 times. my post had nothing to do with the n9... i was just wanting to know about the n900 haha. i was talking about the future of this phone and how it compares with the n900. i probably worded it wrong, but now you get my point. hopefully

i never said "the n9 barely ever gets updates, i hate this phone"

i just think there is kinda a pattern going on, the n900 could have got even bigger than it did if nokia supported it like they did with symbian and promoted it better. and same exact thing with the n9, if they didnt say the whole "dead from the start thing", and had it in the US, india, etc the phone would have been huuuuge. i just think its weird how the same thing happened with both phones, and they both have/had a LOT of potential.. i dont get it

@Stratax

Well then it seems there was a miscommunication

The N900 recieved 3 main firmwares PR1.1, PR1.2 and PR1.3.

As well as a small incremental security update PR1.3.1 which just fixed a security hole.

The N900 was then carried over and onwards by the Community SSU which provided 10+ updates within around 6-8 months and they were VERY incredible updates including open sourcing by rewriting a lot of the ui elements that were previously closed and contained bugs.

Hopefully we get the same kind of thing for our N9's. TBH I am more looking forward to what this community will do then Nokia when it comes to updates

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
@Stratax

As well as a small incremental security update PR1.3.1 which just fixed a security hole.

The N900 was then carried over and onwards by the Community SSU which provided 10+ updates within around 6-8 months and they were VERY incredible updates including open sourcing by rewriting a lot of the ui elements that were previously closed and contained bugs.

Hopefully we get the same kind of thing for our N9's. TBH I am more looking forward to what this community will do then Nokia when it comes to updates
Yup, i totally agree. I never owned an N900, but from what i've read up until now, it's the community that made that phone such a good piece of kit - i'm hoping the same happens to the N9. After using friends' Iphones and Android phones, i can honestly say that not only is the UI the best on the N9 out of any phone i've used, but just the design of the menus in general, the fonts, the look, the feel. Sure it may not have a quad core processor but that isn't important to me. What IS important is comfort/ease of use, and the N9 wins hands down IMO

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dared For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Dared View Post
not only is the UI the best on the N9 out of any phone i've used, but just the design of the menus in general, the fonts, the look, the feel....
Second that.
no words to describe the frustration of not being able to activate my Android handset with a double screen tap.
Or worse still, trying to swipe apps off the screen!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
@Stratax

hmm interested, do you think nokia will sell/give harmattan over to some other company? that would be cool, or at least make it open source. fully

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by stratax View Post
hmm interested, do you think nokia will sell/give harmattan over to some other company? that would be cool, or at least make it open source. fully
Closed source driver blobs will prevent this from happening.
furthermore, nokia wouldn't open source an OS that might provide another party with a competitive advantage, and anyone who buys the bones of Nokia would keep it shelved and locked away for the same reason.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
i just think there is kinda a pattern going on, the n900 could have got even bigger than it did if nokia supported it like they did with symbian and promoted it better. and same exact thing with the n9, if they didnt say the whole "dead from the start thing", and had it in the US, india, etc the phone would have been huuuuge. i just think its weird how the same thing happened with both phones, and they both have/had a LOT of potential.. i dont get it
Two completely different stories/evolutionary_paths but the final result is coincidentally ending-up FAIRLY similar, that's all you need to know.
CBF'd outlining it all in detail*, if you're truly that interested in forming a complete picture, there's plenty of old/current threads for you to dig up.
And it's all waaaay beyond the scope of this thread anyway....

*it's been done a gazillion times before

, or at least make it open source. fully
Not happening, it's all been discussed in detail countless times, not in this thread.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-01 at 10:19. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Two completely different stories/evolutionary_paths but the final result is coincidentally ending-up FAIRLY similar, that's all you need to know.
CBF'd outlining it all in detail*, if you're truly that interested in forming a complete picture, there's plenty of old/current threads for you to dig up.
And it's all waaaay beyond the scope of this thread anyway....

*it's been done a gazillion times before

Not happening, it's all been discussed in detail countless times, not in this thread.
im aware it's not going to happen, it would be cool though if it did. kinda how rim wont sell bb6 even though its dead, etc. obviously i wasnt thinking last night haha.
well i still enjoy my n9, thats all that matters. there could be improvements, but what os cant use improvements

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stratax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Anyone got the update yet?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
bugfix-focused, dashed hopes, nokia fanbois, popcorn, pr1.3, pr1.3 party, troll alert